Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 11:11 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Northern Delaware is southern too! Quite a large portion of Philly's metro is Southern.
Northern Delaware is not Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 03:21 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Northern Delaware is not Southern.
Not only that but historically none of Delaware was considered Southern.

When Pennsylvania was negoatiating the Mason-Dixon line she was also doing it for Delaware because Delaware was a semi-independent satellite of Pennsylvania during the colonial period. Thus Delaware is North of the Mason-Dixon line also.

I am jst guessing but I think the reason that some sources started showing Delaware as a Southern state is simply because it fits better on a map with Maryland then with Pennsylvania or New Jersey.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,017 times
I don't consider any of Delaware to be Southern, but I'll agree that parts of southern Delaware is borderline.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:15 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,951,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

When Pennsylvania was negoatiating the Mason-Dixon line she was also doing it for Delaware because Delaware was a semi-independent satellite of Pennsylvania during the colonial period. Thus Delaware is North of the Mason-Dixon line also.

I am jst guessing but I think the reason that some sources started showing Delaware as a Southern state is simply because it fits better on a map with Maryland then with Pennsylvania or New Jersey.
The census says Delaware and Maryland is southern.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The census says Delaware and Maryland is southern.
The census also says that Steele, Missouri is "Midwestern" even though it is farther south than Nashville. The census doesn't have the final say of a culture of a place.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,951,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
The census also says that Steele, Missouri is "Midwestern" even though it is farther south than Nashville. The census doesn't have the final say of a culture of a place.

Tell that groundbreaking news to people that live north of the M-D line.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
If I can get Sweattea at the drive-thru at McDonals'd then I feel like I'm in the South. Here in New England, we have Iced Coffee at Micky D's. So I guess you have the Mason-Dixon Line, and the Sweattea line sepearting us
I live by the NY pa border and our McDonalds has sweet tea...I guess country is country wide..haha.pennsyltucky is what we call pa here in the north west corner.

Last edited by schupp_dogg89; 12-30-2012 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: lost my compass

Old 12-30-2012, 10:23 PM

266 posts, read 410,230 times
Northern Delaware is definity not southern. I live in PA but I still live farther south then some people in Delaware (Yes, this is possible). Culturally speaking northern Delaware is just an extension of Philadelphia while southern Delaware is more laid back kind of like Virginia/southeast Maryland. People in northern Delaware have a Philadelphia accent while southern Delaware is where you start to hear the southern accent.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

Maryland and Delaware fit better on a map with the northeast than they do with the south. Both of these states I would consider to be Northeastern from a modern-day standpoint. Both have way more in common with Pennsylvania today than Virginia.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:49 PM

94 posts, read 236,366 times
Coming from a southerner's perspective, Id ont' consider Maryland, DC, or Delaware southern.
And everyone I've ever met from those states/district doesn't consider themselves southern, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.