Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 09:50 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times

Advertisements

I was doing some researce yesterday and came upon this story, Probe into Boston ad stunt chaos and it got me thinking about how the news reporters here in Atlanta cause people to panic whether it be snow (http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=109686 - broken link) or gas... It makes me want to find more examples of this 'panic inducing' type of reporting in other cities. Here's a YouTube clip of that Boston bomb fiasco
Boston Bomb scare suspects press conference about hair and the Aqua Teen Hunger Force publicity . Gotta go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 10:04 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Back in Iowa I loved how no matter what the story, no matter what the country or state, there was always "the local connection".

After 911 there were all these articles about how the Cedar Rapids Public Library was going on lockdown and installing metal detectors. Security beefed up at the local armory, etc.

Stuff like that. Like the big story would be Iowa's loss and connection to the Virginia Tech shootings because some girl from Center Point graduated from VT two years earlier and had classes in one of the buildings. AHHH!!!

really though, no news is good news these days. Other than the floods, it's a pretty awesome place to grow up and live. No crime, traffic, nice people, very high standard of living, steady economy, very low unemployment, cheap nice housing, amazing schools.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
I was doing some researce yesterday and came upon this story, Probe into Boston ad stunt chaos and it got me thinking about how the news reporters here in Atlanta cause people to panic whether it be snow (http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=109686 - broken link) or gas... It makes me want to find more examples of this 'panic inducing' type of reporting in other cities. Here's a YouTube clip of that Boston bomb fiasco
Boston Bomb scare suspects press conference about hair and the Aqua Teen Hunger Force publicity . Gotta go.
I think it's just the nature of the beast, unfortunately. I mean geez, little Knoxville has four local news casts. That's probably 50 journalists all looking for news--ANY news--to fill several hours of news reports EVERY DAY. And so to get us to watch their news, they have to sensationalize everything especially if they're all covering the same news event. In order for me to watch Channel 10 over Channel 6, Channel 10 is probably going to try creating an unnecessary panic. I think it's ridiculous.

Of course, they've also got good role models from our national media. I swear the next time I watch CNN or Fox and hear mood music to accompany their news stories I'm going to scream.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:12 AM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Yes, all the time in Charlotte. Everything from rain showers(if there is a lightning strike, its a severe storm and the news must interrupt whatever's on to tell us flee to safety) to this gas shortage today. It's ridiculous

Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
You'll find this to be the case with most media markets especially in the television news industry. Here in KC if it bleeds it leads. They sensationalize ANYTHING that has occurred if the story includes a death or injury related to an accident especially car accidents.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:16 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Since our crime rate is low and nothing really ever happens here they tend to blow things out of proportion. Alcohol on the beach was a BIG ISSUE for a while and they totally blew this big 2007 labor day brawl on the beach out of proportion calling it a "riot" when it was nothing of the sort. If there is a drop of rain the media goes crazy and acts like the sky is falling. People here make the biggest deal our to the smallest and stupidest crap.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:29 AM

282 posts, read 1,186,337 times
Every time we are going to get a snow storm, it gets blown out of proportion like it will be the next Blizzard of 79 or some such.................it is ANNOYING. Because everyone runs out to the grocery store to stock up on bread and milk like they will never eat again. Get over it....it is New England people...it snows in winter!!!!!! Boy, I hate the media for doing that!

Old 09-26-2008, 12:08 PM

287 posts, read 1,028,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaK View Post
Every time we are going to get a snow storm, it gets blown out of proportion like it will be the next Blizzard of 79 or some such.................it is ANNOYING. Because everyone runs out to the grocery store to stock up on bread and milk like they will never eat again. Get over it....it is New England people...it snows in winter!!!!!! Boy, I hate the media for doing that!
It's that kind of reporting that made my cousin's husband's family in Alabama believe that people in Massachusetts were regularly snowed into they're houses in winter.

On the more specific subject of the "bomb scare":

I didn't actually know one of them, but since I did go to high school with both the "Bomb Scare" suspects, this is the video that Peter posted on the subject that has an exciting variety of random fear mongering and crazed over reaction.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:36 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
It was actually surreal to see the Cedar Rapids, Iowa news during the huge floods in June. I was watching it from Chicago online. They were on the air 24 hours a day for days on end.

In a place that's use to stories about high school sports or someone hurting their arm when a dumpster fell on them, the news was crazy. It was a non-stop 24 hours of over a thousand city blocks going underwater, including the whole downtown and the building where the news came out of, power going out, emergency calls for sandbaggers at the hospitals and water intake pumps, mass evacuations, failing sandbag walls, all bridges through the city being overtopped by water splitting the city into sections, houses washing down the river through downtown, etc etc.

I felt like I was watching a movie, except it was real and it was the place I grew up in being systematically destroyed with everyone still in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.