U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:04 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,259,523 times

Advertisements

DH & I chat about it frequently but it takes significant financial resources to move overseas. More than we could put our hands on right now.

Unlike NCN, I find McPalin to be far more worrisome than Obama. 4 more years of Bush? None of us can afford that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 09:12 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,265,171 times
We just have to accept the fact that some people have been drinking the funny punch for a while when this type of discussion comes up and it gets political.

As others have said, "if I had the money" (which I don't), then I can think of a small handful of places I'd move to:

1) Vancouver, Canada for the scenery, nature/outdoor activities, and similarities to U.S. culture/language.

2) Copenhagen, Denmark for it's known friendliness toward foreigners, architecture/transit, and the fact just about everyone there speaks 3 languages (including English).

3) Guadalajara, Mexico as it's a thriving city and not the impovished stereotype many have of Mexican cities (though having to learn a new language at my age isn't a thrilling idea).

It's all just fantasy, though. We (U.S.) are just about the only country who just let folks walk in and stay. Any of these places we dream of going to aren't so open to letting U.S. residents just come on over and set up shop so easily. In the event the economy and way of life here just took a complete nose dive, you can bet a lot of invisible walls are going to go up around many countries boarders with, "No Americans, please" signs at the door.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:25 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,817,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Tell us what he said that makes you think that. Do you think the Bush/McCain republicans have not been testing thw waters to see how much freedom they can take away without a revolution breaking out?
You're not serious, are you? Both parties are intent of stripping us of our freedoms, albeit in different ways. You would have to be incredibly naive to believe one party is better than the other in this regard.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:30 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,925,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
DH & I chat about it frequently but it takes significant financial resources to move overseas. More than we could put our hands on right now.

Unlike NCN, I find McPalin to be far more worrisome than Obama. 4 more years of Bush? None of us can afford that.
If you don't like McCain/Palin or Bush, elect the right congress or start a movement to straighten them out, but we don't have to turn communist to do it. We are still a free nation. I cannot "come together" with the Obama policies. Never will be able to because they are just not acceptable.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:32 AM

Personally, I have thought about this. No I'm not some militia member holed up in Idaho, either. Here's what would cause me to move my family out of danger.

1) Wholesale anarchy.
2) A strong, charismatic figure in the White House who says, "Trust me" a lot. Actually, I'm more worried about Obama on this score than McCain. While I like Obama more than McCain, there's not much difference between the Obamaniacs and the Bushbots in terms of the adulation they give their leaders.
3) A total collapse of the United States economy. Hopefully, I'd have the prescience to cash out in time. Otherwise, I'd have to figure something out.

Now, you realize that, to move, you need to have the following:

1) Passports. My family has theirs. Do you?
2) Transportation. I'm not sure I'd want to brave Mexican highways in the event of a societal collapse. If you're really serious, then you need to learn to sail a boat. That way, you can make it from the United States to some relatively stable place with minimal interference. While no place would be safe, at least much fewer people will be randomly shooting at you on the open seas.
3) Gold. American currency would prove useless.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
We just have to accept the fact that some people have been drinking the funny punch for a while when this type of discussion comes up and it gets political.

As others have said, "if I had the money" (which I don't), then I can think of a small handful of places I'd move to:

1) Vancouver, Canada for the scenery, nature/outdoor activities, and similarities to U.S. culture/language.

2) Copenhagen, Denmark for it's known friendliness toward foreigners, architecture/transit, and the fact just about everyone there speaks 3 languages (including English).

3) Guadalajara, Mexico as it's a thriving city and not the impovished stereotype many have of Mexican cities (though having to learn a new language at my age isn't a thrilling idea).

It's all just fantasy, though. We (U.S.) are just about the only country who just let folks walk in and stay. Any of these places we dream of going to aren't so open to letting U.S. residents just come on over and set up shop so easily. In the event the economy and way of life here just took a complete nose dive, you can bet a lot of invisible walls are going to go up around many countries boarders with, "No Americans, please" signs at the door.
That's why a sailboat is a pretty good idea. You aren't dependent on border crossings to find a safe haven. Equipped properly, they're self contained. And there are lots of islands out there.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:13 AM

681 posts, read 2,774,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
2) A strong, charismatic figure in the White House who says, "Trust me" a lot.
You'll have to elaborate on this one. Doesn't that describe every President since FDR? (with the exception of maybe Jimmy Carter and Bush 41)

It would take a heck of a lot for me to leave. Nothing short of a civil war or zombie outbreak.

And atlantagreg is right, if the US were ever in such a sorry state...the rest of the world wouldn't be far off.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:25 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,365,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If you don't like McCain/Palin or Bush, elect the right congress or start a movement to straighten them out, but we don't have to turn communist to do it. We are still a free nation. I cannot "come together" with the Obama policies. Never will be able to because they are just not acceptable.

Wow just wow. I love country fire and brimstone republicans.

You do realize that under republican power Americans have less freedom than most nations in Europe right?

I love how you republicans hate paying taxes to build roads and help our cities and towns which create millions of jobs, but never mention a thing when we spend billions a year on war and building another nation.

I love you republicans!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:38 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,148,184 times
it's funny, red v. blue. republican v. democrat. that was one of the biggest and best magick tricks ever pulled off. get the people to think in terms of black or white when in reality they all are the same...consumed by corporate greed and only exist to help out the richest of the rich.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:28 AM

13,108 posts, read 13,717,860 times
wherever you go, there you are
you still are the same person dealing with your same problems
guaranteed

to think that "out there" is what determines your quality of life is an absolutely faulty premise

this whole thread is based in fear and living in fear. When a person gains the ability to not ever be in fear, then wherever one lives is just fine.

it's an inside job folks, not out there at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or