U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 06:27 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,911,328 times

Advertisements

I already live in the mountains, I don't have a mullet, I don't eat wild game, my tires are brand new, I don't have a CB radio, I tell my neighbors if their wifi is unsecured so they can secure it with a password. If you want to spread lies about someone you don't know jack $hit about then go ahead ! Your ignorance on this subject probably reflects your ignorance on the real issues. By the way you're welcome for the rep point. What an unhappy person you must be to still be running on with this angry little battle you started. The post is about how bad does it have to get for you to leave the country.
I will not abandon our nation but I sure hope most of the far lefties do. The way you reacted to my post about the far lefties not letting the door hit them on the way out, was by spewing lies in the form of a personal attack. This reaction typifies the way most far lefties react when they have no intelligent argument left, they start making up B.S. and name calling. I did hit a nerve didn't I ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 06:44 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,086,562 times
Default Let Me Count the Ways

First, it is extremely tough to live abroad and work. Most countries protect their citizens' jobs unlike the USA.

Second, language barrier. Unless you speak like a native, you are always at the disadvantage.

Third, it takes huge resources to set up a home abroad to have anything like the style of life you are used to.

Fourth, culture shock and homesickness is real. Never underestimate the damage it can do to your mental health and quality of life.

Fifth, many countries abroad do not like Americans so keeping a low profile is tough but advisable.

Sixth, many countries have no rule of law. This is a problem in Mexico. Corruption is the name of the game. You have no protections abroad in many cases.

Seventh, most countries, with some exceptions, do not have the access to healthcare that we do here in terms of availability and quality.

You can add to the list.

Yes, I have lived abroad in both Asia and Europe. Good luck to all.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:49 PM

450 posts, read 928,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
First, it is extremely tough to live abroad and work. Most countries protect their citizens' jobs unlike the USA.

Second, language barrier. Unless you speak like a native, you are always at the disadvantage.

Third, it takes huge resources to set up a home abroad to have anything like the style of life you are used to.

Fourth, culture shock and homesickness is real. Never underestimate the damage it can do to your mental health and quality of life.

Fifth, many countries abroad do not like Americans so keeping a low profile is tough but advisable.

Sixth, many countries have no rule of law. This is a problem in Mexico. Corruption is the name of the game. You have no protections abroad in many cases.

Seventh, most countries, with some exceptions, do not have the access to healthcare that we do here in terms of availability and quality.

You can add to the list.

Yes, I have lived abroad in both Asia and Europe. Good luck to all.
Very well said. Please elaborate on your fifth point. Why in your opinion are Americans disliked abroad?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:02 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,177,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyer View Post
Very well said. Please elaborate on your fifth point. Why in your opinion are Americans disliked abroad?
From what I have witnessed, we tend to be Pushy, rude, loud and obnoxious. Honest to God, you can pick out an American from a crowd of 1000 people usually. This is coming from a very proud to be an American by the way. One which would never consider moving to another Country for any reason.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:05 PM

450 posts, read 928,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
From what I have witnessed, we tend to be Pushy, rude, loud and obnoxious. Honest to God, you can pick out an American from a crowd of 1000 people usually. This is coming from a very proud to be an American by the way. One which would never consider moving to another Country for any reason.
I'm sure you are right. Even here at home, I would argue that there is a nearly total lack of civility within our society today. Some of the postings in this forum, traffic jams and supermarket lines are good places to find rude and obnoxious people in the mold that you describe. It seems that everywhere you turn, people relate by being "in your face". I have wrestled with the question posed in this string. I can't say that I'd leave the country, but I'd sure get away from any crowded city.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:34 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,993,695 times
It would have to get a lot worse. Because things are NOT better anywhere else. And in those that may seem more "economically stable", you would find other things that you couldn't adapt to. As a good example, I know one guy who lived in Greece for awhile, and he thought life there was better but he didn't like how the country is led by its religion. He came back.

London is bursting at the seams with the crowding of immigrants (many illegal), higher cost of living than here, and higher taxes.

I worry about things, too. But you can't blame one person for the problems. I know it's easy to blame Bush, but you also have Congress, you have Wall Street, you have greed in banks that all contribute to this. And if Obama can 'fix' it within four years then I'll consider it a major accomplishment.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:19 PM

20,517 posts, read 26,391,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I worry about things, too. But you can't blame one person for the problems. I know it's easy to blame Bush, but you also have Congress, you have Wall Street, you have greed in banks that all contribute to this. And if Obama can 'fix' it within four years then I'll consider it a major accomplishment.
Well if you "can't blame one person" for this mess then how can you expect another "one person" to fix it? Seems a little unrealistic to me. No one is going to fix our country in 4 years. It took us a lot longer to get where we are.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:51 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,993,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Well if you "can't blame one person" for this mess then how can you expect another "one person" to fix it? Seems a little unrealistic to me. No one is going to fix our country in 4 years. It took us a lot longer to get where we are.
I don't. "Fix" was emphasized for facetiousness.

For awhile all Obama can really do is clean house and that won't be done in just one sweep.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:16 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,544,535 times
I consider this whole thread to be puzzling, since I can't even imagine the conditions under which I would leave my homeland.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:39 PM

56,684 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Default Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
it's funny, red v. blue. republican v. democrat. that was one of the biggest and best magick tricks ever pulled off. get the people to think in terms of black or white when in reality they all are the same...consumed by corporate greed and only exist to help out the richest of the rich.
Enough said......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or