U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 01:11 PM

23,643 posts, read 33,439,851 times

Advertisements

Elizabethtown, KY- Expected boring country town. Got a well planned, clean, beautiful small city.

Louisville- Expected a clean beautiful major city. Got exactly what i expected.

Washington, DC. Expected a decent looking place. Got a place that looks gritty and gets worse as soon as you go three miles from the White House in any direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 03:17 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,636,113 times
Atlanta. I, for whatever reason, used to buy into stereotypes of what the South was like before I had ever visited any of the major cities. I was impressed and loved it. I'd definitely consider living there if the opportunity arises.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:54 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,738,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Yep... but instead of your dumb stereotypes of southern "rednecks", what you got is a city with lots of minority violent crime. Woo-hoo! Great trade-off.
I suspect you live well out in the suburubs. And having moved from Chicago, I suppose B'ham might well be an improvement.
Actually, we lived on Birmingham's Southside in the Forest Park area, literally four minutes from downtown if you caught the traffic lights right. Shows what you know.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:09 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,052,874 times
Not a big fan of the south but I thought both Savannah and Charleston were two of the most beautiful cities I have witnesses. I wasn't expecting much but I was very impressed with both of them. Baltimore also impressed me so much, I moved here.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:52 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,060,610 times
-Thought that Atlanta would be horrible and I was right
-Thought Philly would be awful, but was pleasantly surprised at the food and architecture.
-Thought Nashville would be awesome, and I was correct.
-Thought Kansas City would be a drag, but not really.
-Thought Washington, D.C. would be wonderful, but I was not thrilled. Not to say it isn't a good place, it just wasn't all it's cracked up to be IMO.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:44 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,209,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
--Thought Philly would be awful, but was pleasantly surprised at the food and architecture.
That usually seems to be the same things that distract everyone else from the other goings on here,must be something in the food & water,but who cares about all that when they're just visiting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or