U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:16 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,357,532 times

Advertisements

Positive: Baltimore; architecture, food, attractions, public transportation and social atmosphere was better than I expected.

Expected: Phoenix; new, hot, sprawly, desert.

Negative: San Francisco; gorgeous scenery but the city looks cramped and several areas appeared run down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 10:40 AM

5,721 posts, read 9,085,203 times
Kansas City. Prior to arriving here for the first time in the 1990's I had NO preconceived notions about this place or its people. I thought I'd be staying in a place that was similar to Denver, at least climatologically speaking and I thought the people would possess a similar mindset and openness to outsiders. Boy was I wrong! The climate is unusually hot and humid in the Summer and the personal attacks I used to hear about being from New York (I'm from New England) or a "little girl from back east" were a joke.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:05 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,017,364 times
We had no idea how beautiful and interesting that Richmond, VA was until we saw it. Who knew.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:11 PM

638 posts, read 1,956,310 times
Loved Atlanta GA when I was there a few years ago. I did not expect it to be such a rockin town.

Austin, TX was also more fun than expected. I was disappointed by Toronto, and Dallas. Not what I expected. Miami, FL was exactly as I anticipated.

I really have a fond memory of Hampton - Rhodes / Newport News area in VA. Nice part of the country that you would not really think of being anything special.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:20 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,720,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHines View Post
Positive: Baltimore; architecture, food, attractions, public transportation and social atmosphere was better than I expected.

Expected: Phoenix; new, hot, sprawly, desert.

Negative: San Francisco; gorgeous scenery but the city looks cramped and several areas appeared run down.
I thought San Francisco would be a boring place before I went... Too slow, boring people, lousy food, boring architecture. I was right, in general, about the food, people, and slow pace but it had some pretty good architecture and the scenery was nice. However, the city was a lot dirtier than I expected. Overall, despite the worst pizza I ever had and some of the slowest-walking and driving people on the planet, it is now one of my favorite cities.

PS I had North Beach Pizza there, which was given a sign by Yahoo.com that called it the Best Pizza in San Francisco. I wanted to puke.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:37 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,006,404 times
Pittsburgh... I had a horrible preconception of what that city was and was completely proven wrong when I visited. Beautiful place. Terrific downtown.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:40 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Pittsburgh... I had a horrible preconception of what that city was and was completely proven wrong when I visited. Beautiful place. Terrific downtown.
I agree. Pittsburgh was a very pleasant surprise in most places. PNC Park was ridiculously cool.

Expected: San Diego. Beach, palm trees, best weather, good Mexican food.

Worse than expected: Tucson, AZ. Boring, run-down in most areas I saw, sprawling. Great natural scenery though.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:47 PM

8,341 posts, read 14,093,273 times
Cincinnati - The first time I ever went to Cincinnati for a reason other than passing through was a year after the riots. I was expecting the city to be a rotting dump like much of Detroit. I was surprised. Cincinnati has to be one of the prettiest inland cities in America. The view from Mt. Adams is amazing. The architecture downtown is better than most cities. OTR even had some areas I thought looked decent. Hyde Park was another surprise. Cincinnati is the only city I have ever been to that was a complete surprise to me. Probably because my expectations were so low and had always judged it by what you see along I-75.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:12 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,205,537 times
Growing up in the country I never had in interest in cities but found myself having to go to them for opportunities(not the best ones either)...
My first radio job ended up being in Trenton NJ(no explanation needed),but Philadelphia was always the ominous city closest to where I was hanging out so it was inevitable that I'd end up going there someday(to live is something different altogether!)
Anyway I always had a feeling as I would get closer to Philadelphia that something was just off about the people I'd come across for the most part.
So my first trip in(not including the times getting lost around here)was when I was younger and looking at schools here...
Had to go to parking garage,didn't get ticket,couldn't find right exit to correct street,cop laughed at me when I asked directions,got overcharged at parking garage(took all my money I had to get back home).
Should've learned then but needless to say I've had pretty much those kinds of things happening eternally since I've visited/been here...

So I guess you could say NEGATIVE!

Old 09-26-2008, 03:23 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,712,118 times
Birmingham, Alabama. When invited to fly down for a job interview, my wife practically had to be forced on the plane. I don't know what we expected...KKK rallies, pickup trucks with coon dogs, tumbleweeds in the street...but we found a beautiful, graceful, hilly city with plenty of kind, intelligent and generous people. We moved here from Chicago 16 years ago, and my wife refuses to live anywhere else ever again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or