U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 06:43 PM

4 posts, read 5,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
What is the Misunderstood US City? That people just have no idea what its really like and stereotype it so much that how they view the city is just completely out of context with what the city really looks Like? Or make generalizations of a certain city based on a neighborhood or a few parts of the city?
I would, with out one doubt, say that Los Angeles California(and metro) is the most misunderstood city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 06:44 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I guess all of our own cities are the most misunderstood.
I would agree. Despite all the publicity Omaha has gotten on this forum recently, it is very misunderstood. It is not my hometown, but my husband's. I remember one time on the Pittsburgh forum (before your time ainulinale) someone asked "what other city supports the arts like Pittsburgh does?" I replied "Omaha", and people thought I was crazy. (This was before Go Ne's time here as well.) They couldn't believe it was an actual city with performing arts, a lively downtown, etc. Now in Omaha, a lot of them don't understand Pittsburgh, but they don't think it's some little hick town.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:45 PM

631 posts, read 1,970,631 times
I think New York is misunderstood, in one way: people are always saying that New Yorkers are rude or mean, but I find this to be completely inaccurate. I've been living here my entire life and I find people here to be nicer than in the majority of places I've been to.

Maybe the fast-pace is taken as being rude.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:01 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,211,511 times
i'd say places like baltimore, oakland, detroit, st louis - great cities only known for crime (on this board)

Old 09-27-2008, 07:02 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,157,019 times
I'd go along with Baltimore too. And I'm not saying that just to get a hug from Billiam (though I love hugs).

Old 09-28-2008, 08:05 AM

4,896 posts, read 7,657,858 times
I think Cleveland and/or Detroit are most misunderstood. I've never been to Detroit, but I have visited Cleveland a couple times recently. (and I've seen a lot of photo tours on a competing forum--dedicated to all things urban in Ohio)

Because I've seen Cleveland and Detroit lumped together so often on this board, I must come to one of two conclusions:

1. Detroit is misunderstood and is a lot better than most think because it's like Cleveland, (I think this is probably the truth) or

2. Cleveland is misunderstood because it's a pretty great place, and isn't nearly as bad as people say Detroit is.

I hope that made sense.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:46 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
I think New York is misunderstood, in one way: people are always saying that New Yorkers are rude or mean, but I find this to be completely inaccurate. I've been living here my entire life and I find people here to be nicer than in the majority of places I've been to.

Maybe the fast-pace is taken as being rude.
of course you would, your probably just like them but see it as being nice while others get offended.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:52 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,320,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
cincinnati. people don't understand our culture. st. louis, cincy, baltimore and washington are all on the mason-dixie, but cincinnati is the only one in a free state. people also don't understand our fans. when its new york and boston booing and saying negative things about their teams, it's called being a "tough town" by media types, but in cincinnati it's considered disloyal and fair-weather. expressing disappointment in poor play and not wasting hard earned money on a poor product seems sensible to me, but blind support seems to fly much better nationally.
Actually hillside, it doesn't.
I have a friend who is a Steelers fan and he ribs me about the Patriot fans not closely following our team before all those SB wins.
Blindly following a team when they are crap is for dummies.
Do you tip a bad waitress the same as a good waitress. Well, I guess if you are a liberal you would but I do not. It is called positive/negative feedback and it is constructive not destructive

Old 09-28-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by money23 View Post
miami and miami beach some people think miami is really place nice people has some there but has rude people but have no problem sometimes dont get most people say i have ne accent or newengland
Holy Crap!

Old 09-28-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I think Cleveland and/or Detroit are most misunderstood. I've never been to Detroit, but I have visited Cleveland a couple times recently. (and I've seen a lot of photo tours on a competing forum--dedicated to all things urban in Ohio)

Because I've seen Cleveland and Detroit lumped together so often on this board, I must come to one of two conclusions:

1. Detroit is misunderstood and is a lot better than most think because it's like Cleveland, (I think this is probably the truth) or

2. Cleveland is misunderstood because it's a pretty great place, and isn't nearly as bad as people say Detroit is.

I hope that made sense.
I've been to Detroit and it is much worse than you can possibly imagine.
It is not that much of a stretch to envision tumbleweeds rolling down Woodward Ave.
It is a city that needs to be rescued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or