U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:56 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,593,545 times

Advertisements

Just like Baltimore, St Louis is usually considered a conservative, crime ridden, poverty ridden, dirty cesspool which is not the case at all.

Crime is over blown, 90% of the pop is liberal, lots of art/culture/diversity, and really urban dense city. It is misunderstood by most of the U.S. until they actually experience what the city has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 12:25 PM

5,633 posts, read 6,104,266 times
I would have to agree with st louis as being misunderstood. As far as midsized cities go st louis is the best kept secret. Beautiful rolling hills with tons of greenery. Excellent parks. Urban neighborhoods. St louis along with baltimore are the places to go if your looking for a great midsized city.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:24 PM

15,534 posts, read 17,764,884 times
For the existence of nature/natural areas: New York City

For its very existence (i.e. it is not an imaginary city): Albuquerque

ABQConvict

Old 11-23-2009, 11:56 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,158,630 times
Baltimore is even misunderstood by the people who live here. People from here think its a little small town. My girlfriend thinks Richmond, VA is larger than Baltimore...smh.
People from places like NYC, philly & Boston think its a small town Wilmington DE.
And the whole " baltimore is southern" comments are laughable too.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:50 AM

534 posts, read 1,337,866 times
I'd have to go with Pittsburgh. Everyone seems to assume that Pittsburgh is a flat rust belt city with old crumbling steel mills and blue collar workers and smog - and then when you get there, there are hills with trees that makes it look like San Francisco, a gorgeous skyline, a beautiful downtown, and walkable, tree-lined neighborhoods like Shadyside.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:00 AM

366 posts, read 234,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I think alot of cities are misunderstood in one way or another

I can speak on Albuquerque, most people dont even think much or know much about it at all and to some it is full of illegals,poor,a scorching hot desert city,people in smaller NM towns think its crime ridden, but there is alot more to the city, for being in the desert it is a very attractive city with some nice looking neighborhoods and a river and the largest cottonwood forest in the middle of the city.
Albuquerque is one of my favorite cities. It's not scorching desert for sure. It's just beautiful there and has one of the most likable climates in the entire US, IMO. Summers are really mild and dry and winters are nice as well.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:05 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,985,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
Salt Lake City is definitely not misunderstood! It is everything people think about and stereotype when thinking of SLC. And unfortunately, the city lives up to its hype.
Maybe on some things, but it is a city that's had Democratic mayors since 1976. I know its image is often as excessively conservative. Yet their last mayor, Rocky Anderson, was an anti-war type who said Bush should be impeached and made posts at the Daily Kos. He also was pro-gay, for affirmative action, and supportive of environmentalism.

I don't know enough about cities to say what ones are most misunderstood though. Offhand I'll guess Nashville even though I've never been there. However when I've seen people say things of that city they usually turn out to be wrong. Like I remember one guy thinking it was a really conservative place, but it's pretty strongly Democratic albeit maybe moderate ones. Also I think they have a fair amount of musicians that aren't in country music at all.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:48 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,533,281 times
New York

Old 11-25-2009, 10:07 PM

692 posts, read 2,421,601 times
Warsaw Poland

Old 11-25-2009, 10:35 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,991,558 times
^Warsaw is gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or