Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:32 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,765,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I guess all of our own cities are the most misunderstood.
That's very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I agree. I love Baltimore and think it is grossly misunderstood. Same goes for Memphis and Saint Louis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Billiam, you are going to love this!!

Baltimore is very misunderstood. It is generalized as a run down filthy crime infested hellhole, but I thought after visiting it a number of times that it is very nice. Baltimore has lots of culture, beautiful neighborhoods, harborplace, great colleges and history. Also in the running for the most misunderstood are Philly, Houston and Memphis
Hug haha Im so glad someone said that - I reread a thread about choosing between Atl, DC, and Bmore and people were calling Bmore a pit, and saying things about Bmore which promoted me to write up this thread! So glad not everyone thinks the same!

Oh and thanks GO_NE!! I never look at my post count, i had no idea i post that much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 02:06 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Atlanta. People think that it's a replica of Detroit in the South, but it's really not.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:08 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,854 times
cincinnati. people don't understand our culture. st. louis, cincy, baltimore and washington are all on the mason-dixie, but cincinnati is the only one in a free state. people also don't understand our fans. when its new york and boston booing and saying negative things about their teams, it's called being a "tough town" by media types, but in cincinnati it's considered disloyal and fair-weather. expressing disappointment in poor play and not wasting hard earned money on a poor product seems sensible to me, but blind support seems to fly much better nationally.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:17 AM

155 posts, read 449,346 times
miami and miami beach some people think miami is really place nice people has some there but has rude people but have no problem sometimes dont get most people say i have ne accent or newengland

Old 09-27-2008, 08:20 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Atlanta. People think that it's a replica of Detroit in the South, but it's really not.
It's also stereotyped as an endless succession of malls and strip centers. Also not true.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:30 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
I say Waco,Tx is the most misunderstood US city. People automatically assume were all extremely religious. Waco is not what it was 10-20 years ago, today you go outside and see people petitioning naked for peta, Lesbians/gays hanging out together in publics places...even going to church. The city is slowly becoming more blue and lots of supporters of Obama are there. Downtown is experiencing its "1 Billion Dollar Decade" which include a marina,stadium,movie theatre, rennovations to the hilton and a few new hotels including Hotel Indigo and more! The only negative thing I can think about Waco is the crime and the lack of stuff to do if you live here,but it can be a pretty fun place to visit.

Houston is also a very misunderstood city.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:53 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
I think all US cities are misunderstood. Especially the coastal cities, where stereotypes are very strong but real experience is very small.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:55 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It's also stereotyped as an endless succession of malls and strip centers. Also not true.
I think most people understand how great of a place Atlanta is which is one reason why more people move there than any other city in the country. I think it's just a few very loud, disgruntled and jealous people in this forum and in a few haughty academic circles who harp on Atlanta and make it sound like something it isn't.

Nashville is also very misunderstood. Newcomers are often shocked to find out it's much more than country music.

Another misunderstood city is Salt Lake City. I'm talking about SLC itself, not its suburbs. Non-Mormons are usually terrified to move there because they're convinced they won't make new friends, won't be able to have wine with their dinner, won't be able to buy condoms, and won't be able to find a good cup of coffee. All of that is outrageously absurd, but the perceptions persist.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:35 AM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times
Greater Syracuse, NY.

New York City thinks its a small college town.

Outside of Central New York, the rest of Upstate NY thinks its a big ghetto.

The rest of the Northeast thinks its an artic wasteland located in the middle of nowhere.

Outside the Northeast, most do not even know Syracuse exists and if they do, they know nothing about it.

Greater Syracuse is never seen for what it really is....even by most natives. Syracuse is either seen as a 1) factory based, rust belt town....which is not entirely true 2) a college town....which is not entirely true 3) an artic wasteland....which is not true at all or a 4) a sprawling small city which has suburbs growing too fast (believe it or not some locals actually believe this)....which is not true at all.

So what is Greater Syracuse really? A stagnant, midsize, metropolitan area, that is roughly 650,000 in population, has a diverse, service based economy, located in the beautiful Finger Lakes region with many nearby lakes, and receives 20 inches more snow each year than Montreal, but is warmer and sunnier than Montreal.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:12 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
I definately agree on Baltimore. Gets a bad rap for the crime rate but it's a jewel of a city with lots of history, great food and fun attractions. Architecture there is fantastic. A top notch university and hospitals. Great mix of culture. Very desirable location on the East Coast, close to NYC, Philly, AC and DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.