U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Can any U.S. city really compare to Los Angeles, California?
Yes 56 69.14%
No 25 30.86%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2008, 11:23 AM
 
Location: los angeles
5,031 posts, read 11,316,030 times
Reputation: 1490

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
LA still pales in comparison to New York.

New York has it beat in almost everything but entertainment and trade.

Telling yourself that Los Angeles is anywhere near New York doesn't make it true.
There really is no argument. I fully believe that New York is the "primate city" of the U.S. & has an abundance of what a super-city can provide. If this thread would have asked is any other city comparable to New York, most would agree that New York is unique in the world.

The point of the thread is how in some ways is Los Angeles unique. Most will conclude it is. I never fully appreciate how unique LA is until family/ friends from other cities [including NYC] visit & go thru the "WoW" phase. What makes New York unique is it's sheer size\ world importance\ sophistication that other U.S. cities can not match [even LA]. Most other cities are like mini versions of NYC.

Los Angeles is not particularly a "mini" city in any way but is smaller than New York. Generally people stay fairly close to the area they were born in or if they move it is to a more interesting city. We all take the good & the bad of where we live. The "good" life of cosmopolitan advantages in a superb climate is unique to LA. The weather effects us every day & can limit our activities. The well-being of having the outdoors available year-round can not be ignored. Plus, add in an incredibly scenic backdrop & even more outdoor things can be enjoyed.

There is no such thing as SAD\ Seasonal Affective Disorder-depression in California but is common in cold dark winters like the Northeast. People need to escape the weather in NYC. One can count on near-perfect weather in LA any time of the year [ie. can you play golf in NYC every day?]. This is a quality of life aspect. [too bad it has been 100F in LA lately

 
Old 10-01-2008, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 10,725,647 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
What I find interesting is I don't think anyone really started comparing Los Angeles to NYC. You just sort of chimed in and said NYC is better out of the blue, which is fine. In my opinion, the point of the thread was not to say Los Angeles is a better and more important city than other US cities, but that it offeres a different and unique lifestyle that isn't repeated in a lot of places.

The Los Angeles and New York lifestyles are very different and in that way there can't really be a comparison at all. I think the point was that the LA life is not like any other. The same can be said for the NYC life, it is unique and unlike any other.
No, the thread clearly stated that no other city can compare. I went ahead and made an assumption that this meant that New York can't compare to LA, and of course I'm going to "chime in" and defend a city that deserves to be tops. The thread should've simply been more specific.
 
Old 10-01-2008, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 10,725,647 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
One can live in Los Angeles & have all the benefits of New York [theater\ live entertainment\ night clubs\ outstanding restaurants\ museums\ diversity\ cosmopolitan living\ center of journalism-writers, creative people\ avant-garde\ world-class recognition\ professional sports, etc.

One can live in New York & not have all the benefits of Los Angeles [warm-sunny climate\ extensive outdoor activities - sports: beaches\ mountains\ desert nearby\ outdoor living all year\ yards-evergreen trees - palms - fruit trees\ all in a state considered the most dynamic in the nation.
One cannot livein LA and have all the benefits of New York. We have reliable public tranportation, density, higher class dining, higher class real estate, skyscrapers, better nightlife, better clubs, more diversity, more diverse architecture (old and modern), fanatical sports fans, better museums, more landmarks, etc.

New York has warm weather in spring, summer, and part of fall. New York has cleaner and warmer beaches than Los Angeles, New York has outdoor activities (white water rafting, sailboating, skiing, etc. in the suburbs just like LA), New York has trees but I wish we had less. But what you're saying is only proving my point. The suburbs of LA are better than the suburbs of NYC, but the City of NY is better than the City of LA. And only suburbanites hang out in the suburbs and surf, skate, etc. And if you can do that in the City of LA, it only proves to me that the City of LA is even more suburban than I thought.

Empire State Building
Freedom Tower Complex
Ground Zero
Statue of Liberty
Madison Square Garden
Yankee Stadium
Times Square
Wall Street
Broadway
5th Avenue
Madison Avenue
Park Avenue
42nd Street
Chinatown (largest Chinese population outside of China)
Little Italy
Ellis Island
Astoria, Queens
Greenwich Village
Little Odessa and Brighton Beach (Russian)
Woodside, Queens
Hunts Point, Bronx
Spanish Harlem
Harlem
SoHo
Chelsea Piers
South Street Seaport
Brooklyn Bridge
Chrysler Building
Rockefeller Center
Central Park
Park Slope, Brooklyn
Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn
Bronx Zoo
DUMBO, Brooklyn
Washington Heights
Columbia University
New York University (NYU)
Brooklyn College
New York Stock Exchange
Times Square Stock Exchange
NBC Studios
ABC Studios
FOX Studios
Major League Baseball headquarter
United Nations Headquarters
2 MLB teams, 2 NFL teams, 3 NHL teams, 2 NBA teams
etc.

Tell me which ones you've never heard of and I'll supply you with information on each, and I will prove to you that NYC is the greatest city in the world.

Last edited by Futcha; 10-01-2008 at 01:25 PM..
 
Old 10-01-2008, 02:31 PM
 
Location: los angeles
5,031 posts, read 11,316,030 times
Reputation: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
One cannot livein LA and have all the benefits of New York. We have reliable public tranportation, density, higher class dining, higher class real estate, skyscrapers, better nightlife, better clubs, more diversity, more diverse architecture (old and modern), fanatical sports fans, better museums, more landmarks, etc.

New York has warm weather in spring, summer, and part of fall. New York has cleaner and warmer beaches than Los Angeles, New York has outdoor activities (white water rafting, sailboating, skiing, etc. in the suburbs just like LA), New York has trees but I wish we had less. But what you're saying is only proving my point. The suburbs of LA are better than the suburbs of NYC, but the City of NY is better than the City of LA. And only suburbanites hang out in the suburbs and surf, skate, etc. And if you can do that in the City of LA, it only proves to me that the City of LA is even more suburban than I thought.

Empire State Building
Freedom Tower Complex
Ground Zero
Statue of Liberty
Madison Square Garden
Yankee Stadium
Times Square
Wall Street
Broadway
5th Avenue
Madison Avenue
Park Avenue
42nd Street
Chinatown (largest Chinese population outside of China)
Little Italy
Ellis Island
Astoria, Queens
Greenwich Village
Little Odessa and Brighton Beach (Russian)
Woodside, Queens
Hunts Point, Bronx
Spanish Harlem
Harlem
SoHo
Chelsea Piers
South Street Seaport
Brooklyn Bridge
Chrysler Building
Rockefeller Center
Central Park
Park Slope, Brooklyn
Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn
Bronx Zoo
DUMBO, Brooklyn
Washington Heights
Columbia University
New York University (NYU)
Brooklyn College
New York Stock Exchange
Times Square Stock Exchange
NBC Studios
ABC Studios
FOX Studios
Major League Baseball headquarter
United Nations Headquarters
2 MLB teams, 2 NFL teams, 3 NHL teams, 2 NBA teams
etc.

Tell me which ones you've never heard of and I'll supply you with information on each, and I will prove to you that NYC is the greatest city in the world.
There's no arguing with a fanatic & your statements are either out-right false or terribly exaggerated [but it is hardly worth debating issues with you when you rely on incorrect information\bravado]. Remember I lived in NYC - you can't bull**** those who know better! "Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn" is a dangerous ghetto!
 
Old 10-01-2008, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Sun Diego, CA
521 posts, read 1,492,330 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Empire State Building
Freedom Tower Complex
Ground Zero
Statue of Liberty
Madison Square Garden
Yankee Stadium
Times Square
Wall Street
Broadway
5th Avenue
Madison Avenue
Park Avenue
42nd Street
Chinatown (largest Chinese population outside of China)
Little Italy
Ellis Island
Astoria, Queens
Greenwich Village
Little Odessa and Brighton Beach (Russian)
Woodside, Queens
Hunts Point, Bronx
Spanish Harlem
Harlem
SoHo
Chelsea Piers
South Street Seaport
Brooklyn Bridge
Chrysler Building
Rockefeller Center
Central Park
Park Slope, Brooklyn
Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn
Bronx Zoo
DUMBO, Brooklyn
Washington Heights
Columbia University
New York University (NYU)
Brooklyn College
New York Stock Exchange
Times Square Stock Exchange
NBC Studios
ABC Studios
FOX Studios
Major League Baseball headquarter
United Nations Headquarters
2 MLB teams, 2 NFL teams, 3 NHL teams, 2 NBA teams
etc.

Tell me which ones you've never heard of and I'll supply you with information on each, and I will prove to you that NYC is the greatest city in the world.
OH MY GOD! [faints] WHAT A LIST!
This kid honestly has no life. Nothing better to do with your time eh! Though New York was so great. Oh wait, you live in Scarsdale! LMAO.

If you honestly dont think we can come up with a list like that for LA, then your just in denial. Now go hide under your cave. Wait, with the amount of time you have, you are already in your cave.
BTW, I love it how you threw in ground zero on that. Way to use the price of 5,000 plus lives for the benefit of your own argument.
Oh yea, I havent heard of some of those things, and NY has 1 basketball team (the Nets are from NJ) and technically, no football team plays in New York (they play in NJ as well).

To end my posting on this thread I will say this. Yall NY'ers have shown nothing but a mere complex of "SMALL P*N*$ SYNDROME" with your baseless and ignorant attacks on LA. Honestly, if NY was so great, you wouldnt have to spend so much time convincing yourselves that it is greater.
 
Old 10-01-2008, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 10,725,647 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
OH MY GOD! [faints] WHAT A LIST!
This kid honestly has no life. Nothing better to do with your time eh! Though New York was so great. Oh wait, you live in Scarsdale! LMAO.

If you honestly dont think we can come up with a list like that for LA, then your just in denial. Now go hide under your cave. Wait, with the amount of time you have, you are already in your cave.
BTW, I love it how you threw in ground zero on that. Way to use the price of 5,000 plus lives for the benefit of your own argument.
Oh yea, I havent heard of some of those things, and NY has 1 basketball team (the Nets are from NJ) and technically, no football team plays in New York (they play in NJ as well).

To end my posting on this thread I will say this. Yall NY'ers have shown nothing but a mere complex of "SMALL P*N*$ SYNDROME" with your baseless and ignorant attacks on LA. Honestly, if NY was so great, you wouldnt have to spend so much time convincing yourselves that it is greater.
I consider the Nets a New York basketball team as they play in the metro area, same with the New Jersey Devils. Same with the Giants and Jets. Simple concept if you think about it. Not much space to build a stadium in the City, Long Island has too much traffic, and Westchester is too wealthy and hilly for a football stadium and all of it's traffic and drunks. We sent all the factories to Jersey, why not the drunks, too? New York is the beginning of the real Corporate America. The industry has been adopted by Newark, Bayonne, Jersey City, and many other cities and towns in New Jersey. New Jersey industry, or should I say, New York Metropolitan Area industry, dwarfs that of LA, just not the City of New York.

And I have a life. I have a job in Times Square, I'm a Yankee Stadium Bleacher Creature (home of the originals), I have many friends, and I'm heading to Boston College next year. I listen to 1050 ESPN Radio and I love ESPN, MSG, YES Netork, NFL Network, ESPN 2, etc. I play football (I'm injured, though), baseball, and hockey. I box and I'm a 2nd degree black belt.

PS You'd be lucky if you could afford a petal of my lawn, let alone a whole entire home in Scarsdale.
 
Old 10-01-2008, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 10,725,647 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
There's no arguing with a fanatic & your statements are either out-right false or terribly exaggerated [but it is hardly worth debating issues with you when you rely on incorrect information\bravado]. Remember I lived in NYC - you can't bull**** those who know better! "Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn" is a dangerous ghetto!
Bed-Stuy is a dangerous ghetto? Parts of it are. Get it right. It's also a beacon of African American and hip hop culture.
 
Old 10-01-2008, 04:45 PM
 
367 posts, read 1,178,148 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
One cannot livein LA and have all the benefits of New York. We have reliable public tranportation, density, higher class dining, higher class real estate, skyscrapers, better nightlife, better clubs, more diversity, more diverse architecture (old and modern), fanatical sports fans, better museums, more landmarks, etc.

New York has warm weather in spring, summer, and part of fall. New York has cleaner and warmer beaches than Los Angeles, New York has outdoor activities (white water rafting, sailboating, skiing, etc. in the suburbs just like LA), New York has trees but I wish we had less. But what you're saying is only proving my point. The suburbs of LA are better than the suburbs of NYC, but the City of NY is better than the City of LA. And only suburbanites hang out in the suburbs and surf, skate, etc. And if you can do that in the City of LA, it only proves to me that the City of LA is even more suburban than I thought.

Empire State Building
Freedom Tower Complex
Ground Zero
Statue of Liberty
Madison Square Garden
Yankee Stadium
Times Square
Wall Street
Broadway
5th Avenue
Madison Avenue
Park Avenue
42nd Street
Chinatown (largest Chinese population outside of China)
Little Italy
Ellis Island
Astoria, Queens
Greenwich Village
Little Odessa and Brighton Beach (Russian)
Woodside, Queens
Hunts Point, Bronx
Spanish Harlem
Harlem
SoHo
Chelsea Piers
South Street Seaport
Brooklyn Bridge
Chrysler Building
Rockefeller Center
Central Park
Park Slope, Brooklyn
Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn
Bronx Zoo
DUMBO, Brooklyn
Washington Heights
Columbia University
New York University (NYU)
Brooklyn College
New York Stock Exchange
Times Square Stock Exchange
NBC Studios
ABC Studios
FOX Studios
Major League Baseball headquarter
United Nations Headquarters
2 MLB teams, 2 NFL teams, 3 NHL teams, 2 NBA teams
etc.

Tell me which ones you've never heard of and I'll supply you with information on each, and I will prove to you that NYC is the greatest city in the world.
There are even a lot more places to list. Like India town in Jackson Heights for example - you feel like you just stepped into India in that part of Queens. Then again NY'ers might not be proud of that.
 
Old 10-01-2008, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 10,725,647 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
There are even a lot more places to list. Like India town in Jackson Heights for example - you feel like you just stepped into India in that part of Queens. Then again NY'ers might not be proud of that.
I don't really care, but I get angry when they put up anti-American posters around their stores.

But there are other ethnic neighborhoods such as Belmont, Crown Heights (Chassidic Jews), Corona (Dominican), Elmhurst (Columbian), Gerritsen Beach (German), Greenpoint (Polish, growing into Italian), Hollis (Caribbean), Highbridge (Ghana), King's Highway (Israeili), Koreatown, the LES, etc. I will name more later. I have to go to work.
 
Old 10-01-2008, 05:19 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,405 times
Reputation: 10
ABC studio is in los angeles future cop not new york city.



wiki website:

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Broadcasting_Company]American Broadcasting Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top