U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can any U.S. city really compare to Los Angeles, California?
Yes 56 69.14%
No 25 30.86%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 06:21 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,957,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
(I challenge you to find ANY city in the US with a higher percentage of residents who are ex-Californians other than Phoenix and Vegas).
Portland?

Old 10-01-2008, 07:30 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,722,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifojykyirte View Post
ABC studio is in los angeles future cop not new york city.

wiki website:

American Broadcasting Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oooooo, sorry.

Now back to my rambling of NYC's many ethnic neighborhoods that tourists never go to while they have dinner at TGI Friday's and claim they experienced New York.

Flatbush (West Indian), Flushing (Taiwanese and Filipino), Midwood (Orthodox Jews), Morris Heights (Ghana), Ocean Parkway (Syrian Jews), Ridgewood (Polish), Roxbury & Rockaway Park (Irish), Soundview (Dominican, Puerto Rican), South Slope (Czech & Polish), Sunset Park (Chinese, Mexican, Puerto Rican), Tremont (Jamaican, Ghana, Guyana, Ecuadorian), University Heights (Vietnamese & Cambodian), Wakefield (Jamaican & Caribbean), Whitestone (old folks), Sunnyside (Korean, Hispanic, Irish), Ridgewood (Romanian, Yugoslavian, Balkan), Morris Park (Albanian), Manhattan Beach (Italian), Chelsea (gay), Bensonhurst (Irish & Italian), Belmont (Albanian), Astoria (Egyptian & Greek), etc.

But of course, tourists waste their time in Times Square and never see, hear, or experience the people of these great neighborhoods.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:39 PM

5,515 posts, read 17,683,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Oooooo, sorry.

Now back to my rambling of NYC's many ethnic neighborhoods that tourists never go to while they have dinner at TGI Friday's and claim they experienced New York.

Flatbush (West Indian), Flushing (Taiwanese and Filipino), Midwood (Orthodox Jews), Morris Heights (Ghana), Ocean Parkway (Syrian Jews), Ridgewood (Polish), Roxbury & Rockaway Park (Irish), Soundview (Dominican, Puerto Rican), South Slope (Czech & Polish), Sunset Park (Chinese, Mexican, Puerto Rican), Tremont (Jamaican, Ghana, Guyana, Ecuadorian), University Heights (Vietnamese & Cambodian), Wakefield (Jamaican & Caribbean), Whitestone (old folks), Sunnyside (Korean, Hispanic, Irish), Ridgewood (Romanian, Yugoslavian, Balkan), Morris Park (Albanian), Manhattan Beach (Italian), Chelsea (gay), Bensonhurst (Irish & Italian), Belmont (Albanian), Astoria (Egyptian & Greek), etc.

But of course, tourists waste their time in Times Square and never see, hear, or experience the people of these great neighborhoods.
Future...some corrections.

Morris Heights, University Heights and Tremont are pre-dominantly Dominican neighborhoods with many Puerto Ricans and Blacks.

There are very few Ghanas in Morris Heights, although it's where most of them live in the city. Same with my neighborhood in University Heights, we have the largest vietnamese presence here but really they are just a handful (maybe 1% of the population).

Soundview is mostly Puerto Rican and Black with some Dominicans and a few Mexicans.

Belmont was always an Italian neighborhood until recently. Now its mostly Mexican.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:05 AM

263 posts, read 732,973 times
Of the big cities in this country, Orange County's Little Saigon, Westminster (Los Angeles Metropolitan) has the largest Vietnamese pop. It is the largest, most important overseas Vietnamese location. As for new york being a 'primate' anything- Los Angeles effectively nips that possibility. New york can never reign over this country the way that, say.. Tokyo does over the rest of Japan- or Paris over France for that matter. Thanks to Los Angeles (..you're welcome.) New york does not have warmer and cleaner beaches. The arguments for FutureCop's 'industry' as they pertain to monetary output or square mileage has me scratching my head but I'll say this again: New york has to go into other states for a statistical lead over Los Angeles in population, while Los Angeles isn't allowed to count neighboring counties that are intrinsically as well as physically part of the metropolitan urban area. Los Angeles doesn't need other states like vulnerable new york does. thief..

Old 10-02-2008, 12:42 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,720,963 times
Let's change the conversation here a bit. Are there any INTERNATIONAL cities that might compare to LA in some way?

Old 10-02-2008, 01:13 AM

323 posts, read 426,804 times
Default Despite its shortcomimgs?

Dynamic? Put the crack pipe down.

UOTE=Rwarky;5454673]Despite its shortcomings, the city of Los Angeles, California is a very dynamic place to visit, work, play, and to live. Do you feel or believe that no U.S. city can compare to this city? Feel free to express your thoughts and feeling about this urban entity in comparison to the rest of America's cities.[/quote]

Old 10-02-2008, 02:15 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,720,963 times
This is just my take after being here for almost 4 months-- but I honestly don't think that life in LA is really that different from other big cities (as in cities with 3 million or more population) fundamentally. I think there are a LOT of superficial differences of course, things that really don't matter much that some make a BIG deal about. Things like climate, ethnicity/race (the people who continously go out of their way to notice "diversity" are really closet racists if you ask me-- fact is, what ethnicity/race people are shouldn't matter one way or another), fancy cars (a Mercedes here is just a run of the mill vehicle-- so who cares?), supposed movie stars (I haven't seen one nor do I even know anyone who's met one). When it comes down to it though, people here don't really act any different from in any of the other places I lived. Honestly. You just have to be able to see beyond the bullsh** image of LA to the real LA, which really isn't that glamorous. I've already explored like crazy here every weekend, and I've yet to be blown away by anything here. I've found some interesting stuff, but it just doesn't add up to the hype. This is by far the most overrated city on the entire earth-- which is not to say LA is a bad city-- for many people, this is an excellent, world class city-- but the whole century of hype and myths built up about this place and still promoted is just so far from reality it's almost unbelievable. The only real difference here is there are more day to day annoyances to put up with; life is harder here and the material standard of living for all but the rich is lower due to twice as high cost of living. Of course if you're coming from New York, LA must look cheap!

I think to live here you have to be able to tolerate a high level of stress and be able to tune it out. I think one way people cope with living here is developing their own little niche-- seeking out their favorite area of town and hanging out there even if they don't live right there. I live two miles south of downtown, but find myself going down to the south Redondo Beach/ Torrance/ Palos Verdes area quite a lot. I wish I was living in San Diego for this year in California instead of LA.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:40 AM

939 posts, read 2,830,180 times
most of futurecops comments are sadistic and disheartening -- i'm sure even users from NYC don't endow him as a credible source of accurate information.

post after post, he seems to upsell NYC as if he's the only person who knows about NYC's underpinning perks. truth of the matter is, most knowledgeable people already know NYC has a lasting impression and prominent foundation in world standing. the funny thing is, futurecop for some reason acts as though he has something to do with it!

futurecop is only 1 person in a sea of 22 million people within the greater NYC area. surely, his place within his own metro area is insignificant. so other then enjoying all the ludicrous comments he posts on here, who cares what he seriously has to say? it's not like he's an important person. does he own the empire state building? is he a player on the NY yankees? is he quarterback of the NY giants or NY jets? is he a news anchor/journalist in the ABC, NBC, or CBS world headquarters? is he a game show host? is he a talk show host? is he a successful businessman in wall st. or an actor/singer on broadway? NO!!! he's a future COP, lol. he's no more important then a soccer mom who has to take her kid to practice!

his ego is only big online... i'm sure offline, he's just another nerd that gets picked on in high school and so therefore feels the need to build his superior complex by playing cops and robbers with fellow city-data users!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:39 AM

100 posts, read 122,198 times
Los Angeles is not overrated it's underrated

Old 10-02-2008, 01:08 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,722,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
most of futurecops comments are sadistic and disheartening -- i'm sure even users from NYC don't endow him as a credible source of accurate information.

post after post, he seems to upsell NYC as if he's the only person who knows about NYC's underpinning perks. truth of the matter is, most knowledgeable people already know NYC has a lasting impression and prominent foundation in world standing. the funny thing is, futurecop for some reason acts as though he has something to do with it!

futurecop is only 1 person in a sea of 22 million people within the greater NYC area. surely, his place within his own metro area is insignificant. so other then enjoying all the ludicrous comments he posts on here, who cares what he seriously has to say? it's not like he's an important person. does he own the empire state building? is he a player on the NY yankees? is he quarterback of the NY giants or NY jets? is he a news anchor/journalist in the ABC, NBC, or CBS world headquarters? is he a game show host? is he a talk show host? is he a successful businessman in wall st. or an actor/singer on broadway? NO!!! he's a future COP, lol. he's no more important then a soccer mom who has to take her kid to practice!

his ego is only big online... i'm sure offline, he's just another nerd that gets picked on in high school and so therefore feels the need to build his superior complex by playing cops and robbers with fellow city-data users!
I'm a Bleacher Creature... One of the loudest and most annoying creatures in the bleachers. That's what I am and I'm proud of it. I got thrown out of an Angels vs. Yanks game in Anaheim with my friends for "inciting a riot" and I love football, baseball, and hockey, and basketball. My favorite radio station is 1050 sports radio. My idol was Paul O'Neill and if you don't know who he is you really know nothing about baseball and my favorite football player ever was Tiki Barber and although you may know who he is, I bet you don't know what position he played. I could go on all day about sports, as you see in the Baseball section of this site... But I don't think it's your place to call me a nerd when you don't even know me. Mind your own damn business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or