U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can any U.S. city really compare to Los Angeles, California?
Yes 56 69.14%
No 25 30.86%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 04:07 PM

939 posts, read 2,831,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Right, and I'm sure most people are going to rush into Brooklyn to check out all the cool neighborhoods You can't BS those who know. Aside from Manhattan all the other boroughs of NYC are ugly high rise\ hardly any trees\ cold-looking dismal streets\ very uninviting & no reason for anyone but a compulsively defensive New Yorker to boast about. Next you'll be selling us on how great life is in the Bronx or Staten Island & Queens.
hehehe, can't be any closer to the truth!

Old 10-02-2008, 04:08 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,724,628 times
Quote:
Right, and I'm sure most people are going to rush into Brooklyn to check out all the cool neighborhoods You can't BS those who know. Aside from Manhattan all the other boroughs of NYC are ugly high rise\ hardly any trees\ cold-looking dismal streets\ very uninviting & no reason for anyone but a compulsively defensive New Yorker to boast about. Next you'll be selling us on how great life is in the Bronx or Staten Island & Queens.
Obviously, you don't know NYC. Is it our ugly tenements or your lack of culture? Here are some photos of "ugly" Brooklyn.
//www.pbase.com/warrenmark/brooklyn (broken link)

Those are not even Brooklyn's nicest neighborhoods. Those are the more ghetto areas, but do you not see the character and potential they have? All of them with the exception of Red Hook are under renovation.

You have to really be there and experience the great neighborhoods, their diversity, density, and sense of reality that not even the most cultured Angeleno could grasp.

Brooklyn is city living.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:10 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,729,294 times
You know, I've never used the ignore feature before, but I think may have to for the first time. This punk high school kid is totally out of his element.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
hehehe, can't be any closer to the truth!
And yet "city folks" in LA live in bungalows, not buildings. Nothing but a bunch of phonies if you ask me.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:42 PM

939 posts, read 2,831,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Obviously, you don't know NYC. Is it our ugly tenements or your lack of culture? Here are some photos of "ugly" Brooklyn.
//www.pbase.com/warrenmark/brooklyn (broken link)

Those are not even Brooklyn's nicest neighborhoods. Those are the more ghetto areas, but do you not see the character and potential they have? All of them with the exception of Red Hook are under renovation.

You have to really be there and experience the great neighborhoods, their diversity, density, and sense of reality that not even the most cultured Angeleno could grasp.

Brooklyn is city living.
http://i.pbase.com/u42/warrenmark/upload/27321331.v_0685.jpg (broken link)

half the pictures on that site look something like this, and yes, i took it off the link you posted. don't tout brooklyn with that website, it's citizens won't be pleased.

i will tell you though, bay ridge in brooklyn, where i stayed for a week last year, was the nicest place in brooklyn that i saw.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:39 PM

5,516 posts, read 17,693,156 times
Im sorry Future but if out of all Brooklyn's nice neighborhood you are touting Bedford-Stuyvesant as a good neighborhood than you have lost all credibility. Bed-Stuy? Are you kidding me? Bed-Stuy and East Harlem had the HIGHEST CRIME RATES in NYC last year. Bed-Stuy may be the worst nabe in Brooklyn. The very few hipsters and yuppies moving in are constant victims of attacks.

Here is a guy on city-data who was getting beat up daily in the Stuy:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2583505-post1.html

Another:

Brownstoner: After Three Strikes, Is Recent Bed-Stuy Arrival Out?

I could understand if you mention Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Williamsburg, DUMBO, Bensonhurst, Cobble Hill etc these are extremely safe and nice neighborhoods...

but you mention Bedford-Stuyvesant.....you might as well mention Brownsville, East New York, East Flatbush and Bushwick.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:14 PM

Bed-Stuy is pretty bad, but it's cultured. It displays culture greater than most crime-ridden neighborhoods across America. That's the thing. Even NYC's worst neighborhoods are so rich in culture.

Here are some Brooklyn photos.. Good ones...
http://www.pbase.com/zippythechimp/brooklyn

Old 10-02-2008, 10:39 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,314,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Im sorry Future but if out of all Brooklyn's nice neighborhood you are touting Bedford-Stuyvesant as a good neighborhood than you have lost all credibility. Bed-Stuy? Are you kidding me? Bed-Stuy and East Harlem had the HIGHEST CRIME RATES in NYC last year. Bed-Stuy may be the worst nabe in Brooklyn. The very few hipsters and yuppies moving in are constant victims of attacks.

Here is a guy on city-data who was getting beat up daily in the Stuy:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2583505-post1.html

Another:

Brownstoner: After Three Strikes, Is Recent Bed-Stuy Arrival Out?

I could understand if you mention Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Williamsburg, DUMBO, Bensonhurst, Cobble Hill etc these are extremely safe and nice neighborhoods...

but you mention Bedford-Stuyvesant.....you might as well mention Brownsville, East New York, East Flatbush and Bushwick.
I lived in Bushwick & worked in Bedford-Stuyvesant several years for VISTA-Volunteers in Service to America. Living with 10 other students, we worked in the community [ie addicts\ families\ teens & at-risk kids]. I loved every moment. A totally naive\nerd from Chico Californian unaware of the danger on the street. Hypes camped out in front of the public gym but the kids flocked in. I'd take a group kids to Rockaway & teach them how to body surf & supervise basketball\ what's not love

I return about area every 5 yrs of so & am ashamed to admit being uneasy entering the same place I lived for 3 yrs. Canarsie line to Myrtle & then walk beyond Knickerbocker toward Bedford. Now I feel uncomfortable esp if I have family members with me. Bushwick and maybe Brownville are a little better in places but drug use is out in the open. I'm OK with weed but not needles. Prostitution & angry youth make it feel more menacing than the excitement of coed living & sports. These are tough communities with many poor people & few resources. VISTA doesn't service Bed-Stuy anymore since funding cuts by Bush.

Hey, futurecop, I loved living in NYC even if it was in a ghetto [like in all cities]. You don't have to sell New York because everybody knows it's the greatest city in the nation. You also don't need to mislead readers with outright fabrication [ie "2/3 of all movies filmed in NYC" or the warm Northeast climate. New York doesn't need anything from LA. Just like Los Angeles is great on its own & quite unique in America.

But it is the California vibe to enjoy life that definitely distinguishes Los Angeles from New York. Much more relaxing here on a balmy night, crickets in the garden & coyotes in the hills.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:11 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,729,294 times
Quote:
But it is the California vibe to enjoy life that definitely distinguishes Los Angeles from New York. Much more relaxing here on a balmy night, crickets in the garden & coyotes in the hills.
Or in my neighborhood, the enchanting night sounds of helicopters flying directly overhead, ambulance sirens, and car alarms going off.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:04 AM

5,031 posts, read 11,314,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Or in my neighborhood, the enchanting night sounds of helicopters flying directly overhead, ambulance sirens, and car alarms going off.
Right & also coyotes [I saw one running down La Cienega at 3AM once!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or