Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can any U.S. city really compare to Los Angeles, California?
Yes 56 69.14%
No 25 30.86%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 02:46 AM

263 posts, read 798,591 times

Advertisements

I like FutureCop! Please don't get rid of him, or ignore him. He's extremely entertaining. I especially enjoy how I school him, the way Jay Leno schools David Letterman on the most regular basis humanly imaginable! This is out of your league bowena/Flickr

Old 10-03-2008, 05:59 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Or in my neighborhood, the enchanting night sounds of helicopters flying directly overhead, ambulance sirens, and car alarms going off.
And to add to that, the sound of being woken up at 4:00 am to repeated F***ing POUNDING on the wall and some more helicopters overhead. I was just a split second away from calling 9-11. I just took a look around and can't figure out who it was. I hope the piece of garbage scumbag who did this PAYS. Not to mention too that I saw through a crack in the window a whole group of 3 or 4 punks walking through the parking lot across the street-- at 4 f***ing 15 in the am! Who other than gangsters could that be?

Old 10-03-2008, 07:58 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
I like FutureCop! Please don't get rid of him, or ignore him. He's extremely entertaining. I especially enjoy how I school him, the way Jay Leno schools David Letterman on the most regular basis humanly imaginable! This is out of your league bowena/Flickr
cool pick

jay leno lol

Old 10-03-2008, 01:07 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,986,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
And to add to that, the sound of being woken up at 4:00 am to repeated F***ing POUNDING on the wall and some more helicopters overhead. I was just a split second away from calling 9-11. I just took a look around and can't figure out who it was. I hope the piece of garbage scumbag who did this PAYS. Not to mention too that I saw through a crack in the window a whole group of 3 or 4 punks walking through the parking lot across the street-- at 4 f***ing 15 in the am! Who other than gangsters could that be?

Yikes..Newer Suburban living is awhole lot better... though sometimes i hear sirens but thats it.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:08 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
But he has a point in that NYC ghetto's have culture.

I mean who here could honestly say that they have never heard of the South Bronx, Harlem, Bed-Stuy, East NY, Brownsville, Washington Heights, Bushwick, Lower East Side (when it was a ghetto), Alphabet City, Jamaica and Far Rockaway?

If you ask me to name other ghettos in other cities I wouldn't know.

LA has Compton, South Central, Watts, East LA (?)

Chicago has Southside, Hamboldt Park (?)

But I can't name anything else. But I bet all of you could name NYC ghettos. That has to count for something.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:39 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

I mean who here could honestly say that they have never heard of the South Bronx, Harlem, Bed-Stuy, East NY, Brownsville, Washington Heights, Bushwick, Lower East Side (when it was a ghetto), Alphabet City, Jamaica and Far Rockaway?

Chicago has Southside, Hamboldt Park (?)

But I can't name anything else. But I bet all of you could name NYC ghettos. That has to count for something.

I've heard of the three that I've highlighted. What makes you think people know NY's ghettos around the country? Sorry but I doubt most people can name more than 3, usually Harlem and the Bronx are the ones people name and thats it. That's pretty egotistical to think everyone knows NYC ghetto's. Not that its anything to boast about either. Some of you NYers should make a lot of assumptions about what you THINK people elsewhere are thinking about when it comes to NYC and it seems like you want them thinking about you guys.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:44 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

There are more tough neighborhoods in LA: Pico Rivera\ Arleta\ Wilmington\ El Monte\ Panorama City - though further out of the city limits.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:54 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I lived in Bushwick & worked in Bedford-Stuyvesant several years for VISTA-Volunteers in Service to America. Living with 10 other students, we worked in the community [ie addicts\ families\ teens & at-risk kids]. I loved every moment. A totally naive\nerd from Chico Californian unaware of the danger on the street. Hypes camped out in front of the public gym but the kids flocked in. I'd take a group kids to Rockaway & teach them how to body surf & supervise basketball\ what's not love

I return about area every 5 yrs of so & am ashamed to admit being uneasy entering the same place I lived for 3 yrs. Canarsie line to Myrtle & then walk beyond Knickerbocker toward Bedford. Now I feel uncomfortable esp if I have family members with me. Bushwick and maybe Brownville are a little better in places but drug use is out in the open. I'm OK with weed but not needles. Prostitution & angry youth make it feel more menacing than the excitement of coed living & sports. These are tough communities with many poor people & few resources. VISTA doesn't service Bed-Stuy anymore since funding cuts by Bush.

Hey, futurecop, I loved living in NYC even if it was in a ghetto [like in all cities]. You don't have to sell New York because everybody knows it's the greatest city in the nation. You also don't need to mislead readers with outright fabrication [ie "2/3 of all movies filmed in NYC" or the warm Northeast climate. New York doesn't need anything from LA. Just like Los Angeles is great on its own & quite unique in America.

But it is the California vibe to enjoy life that definitely distinguishes Los Angeles from New York. Much more relaxing here on a balmy night, crickets in the garden & coyotes in the hills.
I corrected myself when I said 2/3 and my correction read 1/3 after the fact. I never said our climate is warm, I said we get warm weather just like anybody esle... Hard to believe when people jump around the site acting like it's Antarctica year-round here, heh? Maybe it's not me who's misleading everybody, but you, which is clearly obvious as you twist my words in your above response.

The mountains are beautiful. The vibe gives me no adrenaline rush, it bores me.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:56 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Wait a minute. What did I miss here? The thread went from arguing about the good points of each mega-hole and now are trying to outdo each other with the Ghettos and rough areas? Oh come on. In all honesty I could name 2 or 3 of the rougher areas in either LA or NYC and that would be all. I would think trying to highlight the good areas would be a bit better for "proving" which city is better. Personally I wouldn't live in either of them, but that isn't saying I don't like either of them as well. I do like each one in it's own right. Both are huge and both have their own "rhythm" that is totally different from the other. I wouldn't expect somebody from LA to like NYC, just as I wouldn't expect somebody from NYC to like LA. The feeling would be all wrong in each others city. Both of them would drive me insane because of their size after a very short time.

I am amazed the mods have left this thread open for so long with all the griping and bashing each others cities going on.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:59 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I've heard of the three that I've highlighted. What makes you think people know NY's ghettos around the country? Sorry but I doubt most people can name more than 3, usually Harlem and the Bronx are the ones people name and thats it. That's pretty egotistical to think everyone knows NYC ghetto's. Not that its anything to boast about either. Some of you NYers should make a lot of assumptions about what you THINK people elsewhere are thinking about when it comes to NYC and it seems like you want them thinking about you guys.
If you can't name Washington Heights, then it's quite apparent that you really do know nothing about New York and your credibility regarding our city is completely washed away from here on out. Everybody who's ever lived in New York has heard of Wash. Heights. It's on the news all the time (shooting here, stabbing here, etc.). But nonetheless, it's a cool neighborhood and home to one of the LA Dodgers latest heros, Manny Ramirez. East New York is right near Bushwick and Bed-Stuy, where you claimed to have lived... That's kind of strange. You lived right near it but you don't know it?

Do I smell a phony?

My work is done here. Just another faker exposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.