U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Can any U.S. city really compare to Los Angeles, California?
Yes 56 69.14%
No 25 30.86%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2008, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Teaneck, NJ
1,576 posts, read 5,140,125 times
Reputation: 683

Advertisements

every city has something special and diffrent from anyother city.

LA is just another big city.

NYC is the most diffrent i would say of the all the big cities. LA would be a runner up

 
Old 10-09-2008, 04:04 PM
 
1,512 posts, read 7,273,042 times
Reputation: 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
every city has something special and diffrent from anyother city.

LA is just another big city.

NYC is the most diffrent i would say of the all the big cities. LA would be a runner up
No. LA is the most complex, perplexing city in the U.S., especially because of its geographical setting and network of freeways.
 
Old 10-09-2008, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,516 posts, read 17,696,899 times
Reputation: 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
I have a aunt and uncle with children who live in harlem. I visit them like every weekend. I have other family members who live and lived in harlem. And i travel around the whole island of manhattan alot. Also after they gentrify harlem crime will go down no worries and i want to know where are you getting this from. How recent do you think those clips are and im not talking about when he added the video im talking about where he gathered everything. Still hood right. Go to 125 street you should know and they are planning to put Macys, hotels, office, condos, another movie theater, and more stores in east harlem. Here is a mall they are building in harlem with a target, marshalls, home depot, bestbuy, and there was going to be a costcos but they are putting something else. FCRC-East River Plaza New York City Department of City Planning - Amanda M. Burden, Director 125th Street - Department of City Planning

Here are some condos in east harlem. Also brownstones in Harlem are going for 1 million dollars and old and/or burnt down buildings are be converted or being torn down to for condos. There are condos in harlem i know about that i cant find the website for or they dont have websites.

The St. Claire on Fifth Condos
East 120th Street Townhouses (http://www.briarwoodorganization.com/east120thstreet/?gclid=CJXuso6Im5YCFQOcFQodegkD6Q - broken link)
Harlem Luxury Condos, South Harlem Apartments, Uptown Real Estate
10 Mount Morris Park
2056 FIFTH
Luxury Apartments and Condos for sale in Harlem New York
Apartments Harlem - Harlem Condo, Dafina Harlem, New Construction Harlem, Condos in Harlem
Kalahari Harlem
ENTER 111 CENTRAL PARK NORTH
265 West 122 | Luxury Condominiums | 265 West 122nd Street, New York, NY 10027 | 212.381.0000
The Langston (http://www.thelangston.com/home.html - broken link)
Normandie
SOHA 118
Corcoran, Loft 124 - <br>Sales & Design Center, 138-140 W 124 Street, New York, NY Realtor, Real Estate Agent
Bless your heart lol.

Ok first here are the crime statistics. Two posts. One is the crime map and the other the crime key.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2513157-post1.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2513412-post4.html

Listen man, all you are talking about is condos. Well, alot of the condos have not been built yet and others are in the process of being built. By your logic, the south Bronx is wonderful because condos are also being built. If and when the condos are built, it takes years for the effects to be felt in the community. Gentrification is a slow process. Also, East Harlem has seen no gentrification whatsoever. Did you know that East Harlem has 18 housing project developments in its confines? It has the highest concentration of housing projects in the US. This guarantees that the neighborhood will always have a significant poor population, unless of course the projects are turned into co-ops, which I doubt will happen. When you hear about gentrification in Harlem, the area of lower west Harlem has been completely gentrified...and that's what they refer too. I go to school in upper West Harlem and let me tell you that it is still the hood. The lower portion of Central Harlem, has also seen some gentirfication but the rest of it is untouched. Also alot of these new "condos" are actually the newer style low income housing that is being built throughout the city.

The youtube video is from 2005. So unless you think three years have changed the whole outlook of Harlem, then is way too recent. Nothing has changed. In fact, things in Harlem have gotten worse. Take a look at this:

28th precinct - Lower central Harlem

2007 - 1 homicide (to date)
2008 - 5 homicides (to date)

400% Increase in homicides.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs028pct.pdf

32nd precinct - Upper central Harlem

2007 - 6 homicides (to date)
2008 - 11 homicides (to date)

83% increase in homicides.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs032pct.pdf


Also while homicides are down for East Harlem, total crime is up.

Just remember, you could put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.
 
Old 10-09-2008, 05:08 PM
 
Location: NYC
190 posts, read 830,896 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Bless your heart lol.

Ok first here are the crime statistics. Two posts. One is the crime map and the other the crime key.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2513157-post1.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2513412-post4.html

Listen man, all you are talking about is condos. Well, alot of the condos have not been built yet and others are in the process of being built. By your logic, the south Bronx is wonderful because condos are also being built. If and when the condos are built, it takes years for the effects to be felt in the community. Gentrification is a slow process. Also, East Harlem has seen no gentrification whatsoever. Did you know that East Harlem has 18 housing project developments in its confines? It has the highest concentration of housing projects in the US. This guarantees that the neighborhood will always have a significant poor population, unless of course the projects are turned into co-ops, which I doubt will happen. When you hear about gentrification in Harlem, the area of lower west Harlem has been completely gentrified...and that's what they refer too. I go to school in upper West Harlem and let me tell you that it is still the hood. The lower portion of Central Harlem, has also seen some gentirfication but the rest of it is untouched. Also alot of these new "condos" are actually the newer style low income housing that is being built throughout the city.

The youtube video is from 2005. So unless you think three years have changed the whole outlook of Harlem, then is way too recent. Nothing has changed. In fact, things in Harlem have gotten worse. Take a look at this:

28th precinct - Lower central Harlem

2007 - 1 homicide (to date)
2008 - 5 homicides (to date)

400% Increase in homicides.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs028pct.pdf

32nd precinct - Upper central Harlem

2007 - 6 homicides (to date)
2008 - 11 homicides (to date)

83% increase in homicides.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs032pct.pdf


Also while homicides are down for East Harlem, total crime is up.

Just remember, you could put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.
Actually they are changing into coops. Ever heard of riverton houses, big example. Hey im not the one here trying to bash my own city. No im not talking about the lower part. And there is a big difference between the south bronx and harlem. The gentrification in Harlem is much more convenient that the south bronx. Especially how dense the area is. Usually when a place is being gentrified prices around the area get higher like in harlem and that does change a neighborhood. Also alot can change in a few years. Look at all the stores on 125 street. Im not going to argue with you any longer because it is your choice to bash your own city. Also what happens to the area after the people who committed the crimes are caught. Dont answer me just think about it.
 
Old 10-09-2008, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,516 posts, read 17,696,899 times
Reputation: 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
Actually they are changing into coops. Ever heard of riverton houses, big example. Hey im not the one here trying to bash my own city. No im not talking about the lower part. And there is a big difference between the south bronx and harlem. The gentrification in Harlem is much more convenient that the south bronx. Especially how dense the area is. Usually when a place is being gentrified prices around the area get higher like in harlem and that does change a neighborhood. Also alot can change in a few years. Look at all the stores on 125 street. Im not going to argue with you any longer because it is your choice to bash your own city. Also what happens to the area after the people who committed the crimes are caught. Dont answer me just think about it.
Nope. Only one project has been turned into a co-op. But the ones in Harlem have been untouched. And you know why that is? Because nobody is going to buy in the ghetto. And yes I know very much about 125th, I know when I visited the DMV there this past April, all I saw was a bunch of bums hanging by the 4 train subway station. I remember seeing kids from school engaging in fights on Madison. And now tell me something, what makes Harlem different than the south Bronx? Did you see the map. Harlem had a higher crime rate, but you are one of those ignorant people who thinks everything in "Manhattan is safe and since Harlem is in Manhattan it is for the rich and is not a ghetto." A little history lesson for you, historically Harlem has always been the worst neighborhood in the city. It was throwing out 100 murders a year in the 1940s!! It was the first ghetto in the city, and because of it, the south Bronx formed. In the 70's, the corner of 148th and 8th avenue was called "Dodge city" and was voted the worst intersection in the city. During the crack era, the only neighborhood in the entire city with a higher murder rate than Central Harlem was Hunts Point. So yes, Manhattan can be home and was home to the most dangerous neighborhood in the city. I bet you also think Bedford-Stuyvesant is a great neighborhood. You really have to stop this gentrification talk. Harlem has NOT been gentrified. What dont you understand? East Harlem and West Harlem are both still 70% Latino and 30% Black.....and Central Harlem is still 75% Black. And I'm not putting down my city. I'm speaking the truth. No way in hell are LA ghettos worse than NY ghettos. That is laughable. The hood is the hood, which is what you fail to understand. Even after I showed you stats, video, maps etc all you can come back with is gentrification which I have already proven as false in this post.

Now if you keep insisting on this Gentrified Harlem BS, I will personally make sure I destroy your credibility by posting the most recent statistics in demographics and income of Harlem. And you would realzie that it is still majority poor and minority dominated. Which is the opposite of a gentrified community.

Dont do this to yourself. Leave with your head up. You dont want it.
 
Old 10-09-2008, 06:05 PM
 
Location: NYC
190 posts, read 830,896 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Nope. Only one project has been turned into a co-op. But the ones in Harlem have been untouched. And you know why that is? Because nobody is going to buy in the ghetto. And yes I know very much about 125th, I know when I visited the DMV there this past April, all I saw was a bunch of bums hanging by the 4 train subway station. I remember seeing kids from school engaging in fights on Madison. And now tell me something, what makes Harlem different than the south Bronx? Did you see the map. Harlem had a higher crime rate, but you are one of those ignorant people who thinks everything in "Manhattan is safe and since Harlem is in Manhattan it is for the rich and is not a ghetto." A little history lesson for you, historically Harlem has always been the worst neighborhood in the city. It was throwing out 100 murders a year in the 1940s!! It was the first ghetto in the city, and because of it, the south Bronx formed. In the 70's, the corner of 148th and 8th avenue was called "Dodge city" and was voted the worst intersection in the city. During the crack era, the only neighborhood in the entire city with a higher murder rate than Central Harlem was Hunts Point. So yes, Manhattan can be home and was home to the most dangerous neighborhood in the city. I bet you also think Bedford-Stuyvesant is a great neighborhood. You really have to stop this gentrification talk. Harlem has NOT been gentrified. What dont you understand? East Harlem and West Harlem are both still 70% Latino and 30% Black.....and Central Harlem is still 75% Black. And I'm not putting down my city. I'm speaking the truth. No way in hell are LA ghettos worse than NY ghettos. That is laughable. The hood is the hood, which is what you fail to understand. Even after I showed you stats, video, maps etc all you can come back with is gentrification which I have already proven as false in this post.

Now if you keep insisting on this Gentrified Harlem BS, I will personally make sure I destroy your credibility by posting the most recent statistics in demographics and income of Harlem. And you would realzie that it is still majority poor and minority dominated. Which is the opposite of a gentrified community.

Dont do this to yourself. Leave with your head up. You dont want it.
You need to calm down and im not ignorant. Why are you so tense. I mean I dont get this worked up over anything like that. But whatever Los angelos still has more crime overall in the whole city area. And as i stated before please stop arguing with me and being so rude and nasty( not trying to start anything.) We are both New Yorkers. Show some Pride.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Old 10-09-2008, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,516 posts, read 17,696,899 times
Reputation: 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
You need to calm down and im not ignorant. Why are you so tense. I mean I dont get this worked up over anything like that. But whatever Los angelos still has more crime overall in the whole city area. And as i stated before please stop arguing with me and being so rude and nasty( not trying to start anything.) We are both New Yorkers. Show some Pride.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Again, all that tells me is that a larger portion of LA is the hood then NYC is. It does not determine which ghetto is worse. That is all.
 
Old 10-09-2008, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,967 posts, read 18,224,200 times
Reputation: 2641
where's analpainter?
 
Old 10-09-2008, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,967 posts, read 18,224,200 times
Reputation: 2641
grow up! superass who cares? analdischarge plays the same game..

one day you too will be 40? NY or LA and who the **** cares....
 
Old 10-09-2008, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,881,677 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
where's analpainter?
His parents sent him to his room without computer privileges because he got caught with playgirl magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top