U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can any U.S. city really compare to Los Angeles, California?
Yes 56 69.14%
No 25 30.86%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:22 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,720,995 times

Advertisements

LA is unique in its own right, but to say that no other city can compare is quite ridiculous when it's not even the most diverse, largest, and most important city in its own country.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:45 PM

129 posts, read 335,646 times
LA is the most overrated city in the country....when i arrived in LA it took me 3 hours to get home...absolutely ridiculous. I dont know how people live there....thats why i guess yall are moving south. Nice city and all...but its price tag is a bit overwhelming..and simply NOT worth it. I am not willing to pay 500k for a house built in the 50's thats infested with termites...sorry not gonna happen.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:48 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
LA is unique in its own right, but to say that no other city can compare is quite ridiculous when it's not even the most diverse, largest, and most important city in its own country.
shut up......seriously

Old 09-28-2008, 07:53 PM

338 posts, read 476,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldbfree007 View Post
LA is the most overrated city in the country....when i arrived in LA it took me 3 hours to get home...absolutely ridiculous. I dont know how people live there....thats why i guess yall are moving south. Nice city and all...but its price tag is a bit overwhelming..and simply NOT worth it. I am not willing to pay 500k for a house built in the 50's thats infested with termites...sorry not gonna happen.
Well it's easier to be a millionaire and live in LA

Old 09-28-2008, 08:38 PM

521 posts, read 1,491,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldbfree007 View Post
LA has the tendency to chew up, and spit out people like you. Its kinda like survival of the fittest. You either make it big, or you can leave crying. It is what it is. People that live, and love living in LA are willing to pay more to live in an area full of things to do every day of the week. You pay the extra price for the lifestyle. Sure you can cure your hunger by going to McDonalds and have a Blockbuster night. Or you can have steak and catch a nightshow.

It also sounds like you shoulda asked someone the best way to get home, or shoulda checked the traffic reports. Navigating in LA is not as easy as looking through a map and deciding what freeways to get on, connect, etc. You need to know the 3 times to avoid traffic and that the best freeways to your location arent necessarily apparent on a map.

To answer the OP - no city can compare to LA. Visually, maybe. Ive heard the Houston and Phoenix comparisons in that they are both sprawled out cities and the downtown area is somewhere in the middle. But those two cities, along with the rest, can never compare to the lifestyle of living in LA. The tons of things to do, the beaches, Hollywood, the upbeat and relaxed lifestyle, and the fact that you can be a millionaire yet still be a nobody. LA is a very unique city. Always immitated, never duplicated.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:22 PM

97 posts, read 189,633 times
Yeah.. LA LA land takes the cake.. The LA/Phoenix deal, some similarities, but vaguely. Phoenix is BIG heat & no ocean. We have lots of sand.. but no sea.. no Venice.. Malibu.. Long Beach, etc.. but sprawl - we got & growing by the hour. Oh. And we don't get the jitters

Who knows.. maybe after the 'big one' we too shall have a seaside *

*PS: Did feel rockin' & rolling a bit here when Northridge had that bad one I'd rather be a 'Zonie & go to San Diego or Rocky Point for the beach, rather than that..!!

Old 09-29-2008, 03:45 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,877,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
LA has the tendency to chew up, and spit out people like you. Its kinda like survival of the fittest. You either make it big, or you can leave crying. It is what it is. People that live, and love living in LA are willing to pay more to live in an area full of things to do every day of the week. You pay the extra price for the lifestyle. Sure you can cure your hunger by going to McDonalds and have a Blockbuster night. Or you can have steak and catch a nightshow.

It also sounds like you shoulda asked someone the best way to get home, or shoulda checked the traffic reports. Navigating in LA is not as easy as looking through a map and deciding what freeways to get on, connect, etc. You need to know the 3 times to avoid traffic and that the best freeways to your location arent necessarily apparent on a map.

To answer the OP - no city can compare to LA. Visually, maybe. Ive heard the Houston and Phoenix comparisons in that they are both sprawled out cities and the downtown area is somewhere in the middle. But those two cities, along with the rest, can never compare to the lifestyle of living in LA. The tons of things to do, the beaches, Hollywood, the upbeat and relaxed lifestyle, and the fact that you can be a millionaire yet still be a nobody. LA is a very unique city. Always immitated, never duplicated.
El Centro is a unique city too!

Old 09-29-2008, 06:48 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,208,147 times
[quote=wesside;5467291]LA has the tendency to chew up, and spit out people like you. Its kinda like survival of the fittest. You either make it big, or you can leave crying. quote]

A+ lol

Old 09-29-2008, 12:07 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,718,404 times
L.A. isn't really one city. It's many little cities, and they're all different. Venice, Hollywood, Larchmont, Santa Monica-- they all have their own vibe. And Inglewood, Compton and Koreatown, they have theirs, too.

But the city most like L.A. is Washington, D.C. They are both, at heart, one-industry towns, with all the power, prestige and elitistism that produces. They are filled with the ruthlessly ambitious and the unrelentingly hopeful from all over the world, who come in droves because they believe they're special. Some are; some aren't, and both of these uber-competitive towns are unkind to those who can't rise above the starry-eyed masses. In the middle, you have the strivers, desperately grabbing for their shot at the brass ring; then, at the bottom, you have the never-hads and never-wills. Both of these cities have some of the world's greatest diversity, as well as the greatest disparity between the few at the top and the many at the bottom, and both cities are perennially transient, as those in the middle eventually give up and leave, making way for a new busload of those who dare to dream. And both cities have strong racial undertones brewing just below the surface, though not of the same kind.

I've lived and built careers in both cities and I've loved them both. You just don't find that kind of energy, intensity and undiverted focus any place else, not even NYC.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:18 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,720,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
shut up......seriously
Is that all you can say? I love it when people say "shut up" only because they can't think of their own worthwhile argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or