U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can any U.S. city really compare to Los Angeles, California?
Yes 56 69.14%
No 25 30.86%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 07:56 PM

521 posts, read 1,492,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Watch, I'm now the ***hole of this thread. Guaranteed. But I'm ready. I can handle it. If one kid can handle pressure, it's a Northeastern kid.
No, more like the pathetic immature kid in the thread. Can a Northeastern kid handle that? Or can we call you Zeus yet!?

Old 09-29-2008, 08:03 PM

43 posts, read 141,260 times
Can any city really compare to L.A.?

I would have to say no. L.A. is in a class by itself.

When it comes to producing loads and loads of cultural bilge that unfortunately defines the U.S. for the rest of the world, L.A. stands alone.

When it comes to serving as a magnet for "Day of the Locust" style losers who dream of making millions by pretending to be other people, L.A. stands alone.

When it comes to paying mediocre TV writers $40,000 an episode for writing 3rd grade junk, I'd have to say, L.A. is tops.

When it comes to creating the automobile-centered nightmare of America, L.A. rules the roost. You guys rawck!!!

When it comes to Fatburger and other fast-food, L.A. again stands alone. Man, this is getting humiliating for this New Yorker!!!

When it comes to....ah screw it. We give up. L.A. is in a class by itself!!

Old 09-29-2008, 08:07 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,987,626 times
Blahhhh... Los Angeles has huge Problems..If those never get fixed that city will always be what it is today, dont get me wrong some parts are nice but the majority of the city sucks in my opinion.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:38 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,437,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
nice. considering in the last month of 2007 we had a mass shooting that was very out of character for the area that pushed our total well over the yearly average. You should know this happened if you read just about any news publication world-wide in early december.
It's overall crime rate was higher or pretty much on par with LA's in all the years before that too. LA does have a higher murder rate, barely higher in 2007 but significantly higher in most previous years. So it does have more murder but less of other crimes, giving it a lower, although not that much lower, crime rate. I just pointed that out not as a knock to Omaha but to show that LA isn't as crime ridden as some people perceive it to be.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:44 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,698,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Why does everyone always gang up on FutureCop? I likewise live very near to New York City, and it's always an awesome experience to emerge from the Lincoln Tunnel and be dumped right into Midtown Manhattan. There's nothing quite like it in my eyes. You can walk one block of Broadway and see Asians, Arabs, gays, blacks, Hispanics, whites, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, liberals, conservatives, etc. all co-existing harmoniously. You can go to MOMA, the Guggenheim, the Theater District, Little Italy, Central Park, Chinatown, Wall Street (or what's left of it nowadays), etc. What's so unfashionable about loving NYC?
People gang up on Futurecop because he always has to turn a thread about another city into NYC. He than attempts to take lowblows at people and becomes offensive when you respond back.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:46 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,437,766 times
Quote:
Why does everyone always gang up on FutureCop? I likewise live very near to New York City, and it's always an awesome experience to emerge from the Lincoln Tunnel and be dumped right into Midtown Manhattan. There's nothing quite like it in my eyes. You can walk one block of Broadway and see Asians, Arabs, gays, blacks, Hispanics, whites, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, liberals, conservatives, etc. all co-existing harmoniously. You can go to MOMA, the Guggenheim, the Theater District, Little Italy, Central Park, Chinatown, Wall Street (or what's left of it nowadays), etc. What's so unfashionable about loving NYC?

The kid brings it upon himself, he responds to the bait of several posters and starts a flame war many times. Or many times he doesn't like someone's OPINION about NYC, LA, or another city and gets in people's faces about how NYC is the best or whatever. Also stating or insisting an opinion as fact can get annoying too. Maybe if he respected other people's opinions and didn't bring NYC into a conversation that has nothing to do with it then people wouldn't gang up on him. Kid needs to chill out and relax a little.....

Old 09-30-2008, 12:36 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,729,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The kid brings it upon himself, he responds to the bait of several posters and starts a flame war many times. Or many times he doesn't like someone's OPINION about NYC, LA, or another city and gets in people's faces about how NYC is the best or whatever. Also stating or insisting an opinion as fact can get annoying too. Maybe if he respected other people's opinions and didn't bring NYC into a conversation that has nothing to do with it then people wouldn't gang up on him. Kid needs to chill out and relax a little.....
Agreed. Unfortunately, "chill out" is not really in the vocabulary of most east coasters.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:47 AM

521 posts, read 1,492,105 times
Quote:
Seriously, the kid has small p3*%$ syndrome. He talks a ton of crap as if he's been to a third of all the cities he talks **** on, and uses it as a basis for boasting NYC.
Really, the kid needs to grow up. I would seriously smack him upside if I knew him.
Quote:
Watch, I'm now the ***hole of this thread. Guaranteed. But I'm ready. I can handle it. If one kid can handle pressure, it's a Northeastern kid.
^ ^ perfect example. And he trolls just to get a rise out of people. I would suggest he grow up. I doubt he will ever get anywhere in life with the chip on his shoulder that he has.
I wish there was a way to iggy him.

BTW, nobody is saying that NYC is unfashionable. NYC rocks. LA does as well. I take what most people say about LA with a grain of salt since most of these jerks have never even been to LA. The ones that have, focus on the negative parts instead of enjoying the beauty of LA. Most Angelinos could give a rats ass anyways. Love or hate them/us, we still live in what we think is the greatest region in the country.

Furthermore, talk all your crap about LA being more like a huge suburb. Thats the way we love it. Ask most Angelinos, and they wouldn't want to live in an urbanized area. Many absolutely hate the idea of living in an apartment/condo. I personally love the idea of owning a house, with a backyard to my own where I can walk around in the buff , have pool parties, BBQ's, etc. Ive got a house here in San Diego (though Im moving back to LA in a few years) where Im totally remodeling my entire backyard around my swimming pool in a paradise island style. I cant wait to be finished. You cant do these things in New York.

Its only been recent that LA has made a move towards urbanization just to keep that certain demographic happy, since alot of people from urbanized areas such as Chicago, New York, Boston long for it.

Last edited by wesside; 09-30-2008 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-30-2008, 12:48 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,729,294 times
And so much is made out of how LA is supposedly some all suburban, low density city, purely auto-dependent when that really isn't even true. Sure, there are plenty of suburban areas, but much of central LA, west LA, parts of the valleys and some surrounding cities and enclaves are incredibly urban. LA as a whole is DENSE. Look up the facts if you don't believe me-- when you look at the metro area as a whole, not just the center city, LA is actually the densest metro area in the nation. I live two miles from downtown LA and no, while this place is not as urban as New York City, it is much more urban than just about every city in this country with the exception of NYC-- as in Manhattan. LA is a hell of lot more dense and urban than either Denver or Phoenix, the two other cities I've lived in. People who live in Denver who consider themselves cool city-dwellers are actually kidding themselves-- there is nowhere in Denver that has the same level of density and urbanity as say, Koreatown. In actuality, there are many parts of LA that are comparable density-wise to say, Brooklyn. That's the problem-- LA is way too dense for me. It's so freaking dense it's a major annoyance.

LA has a pretty extensive rail network, and a MAJOR bus system, with busses running every 15 minutes 24 hours a day on many lines. This is a city full of overcrowded apartment buildings with twice, three times, even four times as many occupants than there should be. This is a city full of dense neighborhoods of Spanish, Korean, and Chinese speaking immigrants, clogging up traffic of cars trying to turn right at every intersection with women pushing strollers across. Mega homeless population, people walking around with shopping carts diving into dumpsters all day, Mexican street vendors pushing carts around all day, taco trucks everywhere-- this place is about as hardcore urban as it gets, short of a place like midtown Manhattan. You can certainly go to Thousand Oaks or Santa Clarita or Irvine and get your real, true suburbs, but much of the city of Los Angeles is no lightweight-- trust me.

One last thing-- whoever said LA is a one industry town is absolutely delusional-- the vast majority of people and businesses here have nothing to do with the entertainment industry. Greater LA and OC have 22 Fortune 500 companies and almost 40 Fortune 1000 companies, with industries ranging from manufacturing to automotive to shipping (largest port in the country) to high tech to aerospace to finance to consumer products to retail to fashion, and yes, entertainment, to just about any industry you could think of. In fact, I'd argue that NYC is actually the one-industry town, with a huge overreliance on finance. I'd be willing to bet there's going to be a heck of a lot more people in NYC, all those investment bankers out of a job soon with all these banks failing than in LA.

Last edited by vegaspilgrim; 09-30-2008 at 01:01 AM..

Old 09-30-2008, 02:08 AM

263 posts, read 733,122 times
Quote:
You are the gauranteed one; that's the first factual thing you've stated in months. Please, I was gonna read the rest of these and comment on the one guy toward the end who looks to give you actual competition in the realm of talking without thought, but this was too good to pass up! No more big business, big dreams, big money and big energy. Put L. A.'s energy on a little sandbar like Manhattan and you'll have 'big energy'! Also, these rows of homes with the chain link fences? That's Long Island. You do know Levittown, right? Chain link denotes stupidity in West Coast terms anyways, kinda like Yankee caps! Nightclubbing in Los Angeles is big like in New York and Miami (Miami?) but Las Vegas, while not the gathering place as much for celebutants like Hollywood would be, is a tad wilder. Industry heads, representatives and the like are on the Sunset strip more than any other locations anywhere. Immigration, fortunately or not, is still King in Southern California regardless of your "roaring twenty" fable. No one goes to Los Angeles to retire. I think that's where you got your Miami stat from! Also, now that you recognize that new york moves here in packs and you can count on one hand the people from L. A. who move to new york, you must also realize that people used to walking often end up hamburger on L. A.'s streets and crosswalks. Maybe they thought it would be a "walk in the park," as you say. That's called "Thinning the Herd" round these here parts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or