Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can any U.S. city really compare to Los Angeles, California?
Yes 56 69.14%
No 25 30.86%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 03:21 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Between crime, cost of living, 7.5% unemployment rate and the nations worst air quality I will have to say no. I think LA has most, if not all other cities beat.
For someone that doesn't know the crime rate, you sure do have a strong opinion. Are there any high school graduates here who can provide a poor Northeast kid with a helping hand? I'm claustrophobic when I'm surrounded by zero credibility.

PS Now I know where your username originates.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:22 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Between crime, cost of living, 7.5% unemployment rate and the nations worst air quality I will have to say no. I think LA has most, if not all other cities beat.
This coming from someone in Omaha, a city with a higher 2007 crime index than LA according to this site.

A lot of people who talk about LA having high crime come from cities with an even higher crime rate, I honestly don't get it.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:33 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
I was speaking cumulatively. This comparison of "can any city ever really compare to LA" was ridiculous to begin with.

There is nothing wrong with that I said.

And WannaBeCop...your claustrophobia is coming from your police belt packed with plastic handcuffs and water guns.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:35 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times
Quote:
I was speaking cumulatively. This comparison of "can any city ever really compare to LA" was ridiculous to begin with.

There is nothing wrong with that I said.

And WannaBeCop...your claustrophobia is coming from your police belt packed with plastic handcuffs and water guns.
I don't have a police belt. Try again.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:04 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
I really like Los Angeles, although I certainly could never live there.

It's one of the few cities where I'd actually prefer living FAR from, like in the OC or something, due to the fact that much of the things going on in the metropolitan area are so spread out, that it really doesn't matter where you live.

I'd certainly say that what makes LA unique from other cities is it's beach culture and it's surfing. It's the best in the continental US. Unfortunately, Hollywood is NOT LA's claim to fame anymore. Hollywood is dying, due to the fact that movies are now being made overseas and nationwide in other cities.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:13 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
The top 2 cities in my opinion are NYC and LA. San Francisco and Chicago are 3rd and 4th.
San Fran?? Disagree on that. I know the bay area inside out and it is so overrated to be third in ranking. Someone might like the bay area when you first visit it, but after you're there for a while you realize how everything that first seemed cool and big ends up feeling so small and boring. Worst thing is a different vibe such as LA and Vegas are too far for a day trip so you're stuck in the bay area.

My favs in order, NYC, LA, DC, Chicago, San Fran, and tie between Houston and Miami.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:15 PM

204 posts, read 751,620 times
Maybe some other southwest cities can compare to LA, like San Diego and Pheonix.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:27 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Watch, I'm now the ***hole of this thread. Guaranteed.
Yep, you called it.

New York had two things going for it: Wall Street and Broadway. Now it just has Broadway. And the number of people who care about that gets smaller every day. And that urban energy you speak of comes in two varieties: grit or grunge. People who live in New York love it. And the rest of the world is happy to let you have it.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:29 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,279,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This coming from someone in Omaha, a city with a higher 2007 crime index than LA according to this site.

A lot of people who talk about LA having high crime come from cities with an even higher crime rate, I honestly don't get it.
nice. considering in the last month of 2007 we had a mass shooting that was very out of character for the area that pushed our total well over the yearly average. You should know this happened if you read just about any news publication world-wide in early december.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:46 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Why does everyone always gang up on FutureCop? I likewise live very near to New York City, and it's always an awesome experience to emerge from the Lincoln Tunnel and be dumped right into Midtown Manhattan. There's nothing quite like it in my eyes. You can walk one block of Broadway and see Asians, Arabs, gays, blacks, Hispanics, whites, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, liberals, conservatives, etc. all co-existing harmoniously. You can go to MOMA, the Guggenheim, the Theater District, Little Italy, Central Park, Chinatown, Wall Street (or what's left of it nowadays), etc. What's so unfashionable about loving NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.