Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can any U.S. city really compare to Los Angeles, California?
Yes 56 69.14%
No 25 30.86%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:52 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
We can't all be real, Sav. I don't care if you like LA, but to compare it to New York is honestly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. New York and London stand in a league of their own. End of story. Look at the economic output of this city... Look at the international political influence it has. Screw Hollywood. In the real world, Hollywood has 0% meaning. Turn off "I Love the 80s" and wake up. You're out of high school, correct? Get your MBA and then try to tell me NYC is less than LA.
What I find interesting is I don't think anyone really started comparing Los Angeles to NYC. You just sort of chimed in and said NYC is better out of the blue, which is fine. In my opinion, the point of the thread was not to say Los Angeles is a better and more important city than other US cities, but that it offeres a different and unique lifestyle that isn't repeated in a lot of places.

The Los Angeles and New York lifestyles are very different and in that way there can't really be a comparison at all. I think the point was that the LA life is not like any other. The same can be said for the NYC life, it is unique and unlike any other.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:58 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I don't bring NYC into a conversation undeservedly. I base my boosterism on facts and facts only. I'm not bringing NYC into a conversation regarding mountains or natural beauty, but when it comes to urban discussions, it's nearly impossible to exclude NYC, especially while discussing America's real number one city of culture, importance, size, and influence. NYC is unbeatable. If you can accept the fact, that's when I will put an end to my "irrational" and yet truthful behavior.
One can live in Los Angeles & have all the benefits of New York [theater\ live entertainment\ night clubs\ outstanding restaurants\ museums\ diversity\ cosmopolitan living\ center of journalism-writers, creative people\ avant-garde\ world-class recognition\ professional sports, etc.

One can live in New York & not have all the benefits of Los Angeles [warm-sunny climate\ extensive outdoor activities - sports: beaches\ mountains\ desert nearby\ outdoor living all year\ yards-evergreen trees - palms - fruit trees\ all in a state considered the most dynamic in the nation.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:48 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
One can live in Los Angeles & have all the benefits of New York [theater\ live entertainment\ night clubs\ outstanding restaurants\ museums\ diversity\ cosmopolitan living\ center of journalism-writers, creative people\ avant-garde\ world-class recognition\ professional sports, etc.

One can live in New York & not have all the benefits of Los Angeles [warm-sunny climate\ extensive outdoor activities - sports: beaches\ mountains\ desert nearby\ outdoor living all year\ yards-evergreen trees - palms - fruit trees\ all in a state considered the most dynamic in the nation.
Well said. I love NYC for the reasons you mention and I like LA for the reasons you mention.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:58 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
I think NYC can offer some benefits than LA cannot. Mainly good, extensive public transportation and a urban living experience on a scale not found anywhere else in the country. Also for those that prefer four seasons, LA cannot offer that.

But they both offer great things overall and both have somethings that the other doesn't.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:07 PM

100 posts, read 149,897 times
Listen here Future crap and sweetwater **** you guys need to stop bagging LA, it might have a lot of problems but it still has high status in about every thing e.g. Alpha world class city, good sports teams, good resturuants, great shopping

Last edited by OneMetropolis; 09-30-2008 at 06:38 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 06:12 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMetropolis View Post
Listen here Future crap and sweetwater shi t u guys need to stop bagging LA, it might have a lot of problems but it still has high statis in about every thing e.g. Alpha world class city, good sports teams, good resturuants, great shopping
Check it out one metCRAPolis, just because you don't like it doesn't mean we have to stop. When you learn to spell then we will all take you more seriously. LA is a city no more no less. It was a wonderful place until the 1980's when all the problems seemed to multiply.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Check it out one metCRAPolis, just because you don't like it doesn't mean we have to stop. When you learn to spell then we will all take you more seriously. LA is a city no more no less. It was a wonderful place until the 1980's when all the problems seemed to multiply.
sorry I can't spell I was just in a hurry to post my comment.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:25 PM

i edited my post OK Sourwaterslugger.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
by the way look at your own "UGLY ASS" city and see how many problems it has before you bag on any one else's city.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:41 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMetropolis View Post
by the way look at your own "UGLY ASS" city and see how many problems it has before you bag on any one else's city.
Hey, at least we admit our faults. By the way, are you going to keep on crying about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.