Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can any U.S. city really compare to Los Angeles, California?
Yes 56 69.14%
No 25 30.86%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:27 PM

53 posts, read 147,416 times

Advertisements

I honestly don't think LA is anything special. Sure, when I was teenager I thought palm trees were amazing. I'd never seen a palm tree in real life. And the air was intoxicating. But I have since realized that was because of all the oxygen, being down so close to sea level, compared to where I live (Salt Lake City), lol.

Now, it's just one long neighborhood. I found the houses all over the hills, totally covering them, amazing, when I was a teenager.

Now I think the traffic is atrocious. The pollution is shameful. You can see it a long time before you even reach a major California city marring the mountain views. *sigh*

I'm not too impressed with celebrities, either.

To me, a better California city is the sparkling gem that is San Diego, and San Francisco.

I can think of many cities that rival and are even superior to LA. I'm not one who thinks that bigger is necessarily better. Sure, the towering skyscrapers are amazing as you race by, but there are cities with much more charm in the U.S.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,686,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Is that all you can say? I love it when people say "shut up" only because they can't think of their own worthwhile argument.
All your post Create Worthwhile Arguments. Your like a hippacrip. At first you Like L.A. now you Dislike it. And yes take the guy's advice and Stich your mouth up. L.A. isn't diverse,Yeah whatever you Hippacrip.Don't speak more than you can say and then when its time for an argument you cant back your **** up.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:59 AM

263 posts, read 798,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
His parents sent him to his room without computer privileges because he got caught with playgirl magazine
What's really interesting is the consistent interplay between new york posters on a thread that has nothing to do with them. The little stats and facts that completely bore someone in Los Angeles when someone in Los Angeles tries to read the aimless conversation. It's really cute! No city compares to Los Angeles because Los Angeles is so diverse, you can find any city in America within L. A! No other city can pull that off. Love to see new york pass for Los Angeles..... like tomato soup trying to pass for bouillabaisse. As for where I've been, streetcrawler? Whew, I mean.... your Mom really likes it rough!

Old 10-10-2008, 06:37 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
This thread is a perfect example of why I stay as far away from LA and NYC as I can.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:52 PM

190 posts, read 882,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
What's really interesting is the consistent interplay between new york posters on a thread that has nothing to do with them. The little stats and facts that completely bore someone in Los Angeles when someone in Los Angeles tries to read the aimless conversation. It's really cute! No city compares to Los Angeles because Los Angeles is so diverse, you can find any city in America within L. A! No other city can pull that off. Love to see new york pass for Los Angeles..... like tomato soup trying to pass for bouillabaisse. As for where I've been, streetcrawler? Whew, I mean.... your Mom really likes it rough!
LA boaster are so typical.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:40 PM

263 posts, read 798,712 times
Proud to be an American, proud to be an Angelino

Old 10-11-2008, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,772,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Bless your heart lol.

Ok first here are the crime statistics. Two posts. One is the crime map and the other the crime key.
I've been to Harlem when I was in NYC; it is "spotty". I saw some ghetto parts and very nice and beautiful sections (along the far west side/park..I think it's called Riverside Park?).

I mean if Harlem was really a giant ghetto then there would not be people buying $15,000,000 condos (111 Central Park North). On the flip side, I've been through numerous Los Angeles ghettos like Compton, South Central, Wats, Pico, and such a thing (expensive homes/condos) would never happen and are non-existent. Harlem also feels safer, than comparable neighborhoods by crime rates in LA.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:37 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
I've been to Harlem when I was in NYC; it is "spotty". I saw some ghetto parts and very nice and beautiful sections (along the far west side/park..I think it's called Riverside Park?).

I mean if Harlem was really a giant ghetto then there would not be people buying $15,000,000 condos (111 Central Park North). On the flip side, I've been through numerous Los Angeles ghettos like Compton, South Central, Wats, Pico, and such a thing (expensive homes/condos) would never happen and are non-existent. Harlem also feels safer, than comparable neighborhoods by crime rates in LA.
Ok. I hope you saw the crime rate of Harlem. That should throw safe out the window.

That area of Riverside Park is the part that was gentrified in West Harlem. The Central Park North address is close to Midtown so obviously its going to see some gentrification. I want you to do me a favor and walk from 145th to 130th Lennox avenue. I also want you to wak 155th to 140th Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue. Finally walk all of 1st avenue, 2nd avenue and 3rd avenue from 106th to 116th. If you're really up to some sightseeing. These are just some but I find that anywhere I walk in Harlem, I'm in the hood.

Well thats you, if you feel more comfortable. But to me Compton, South Central, Watts look like suburbs too me. I dont get intimidated by a bunch of houses with 1 or 2 people hanging out.

If I'm in Harlem.....walking down a long block of 6 story tenements where there is loud hip-hop music playing and the smell of marijuana in the air and 7 guys in front of every building watching me and when I reach the corner there are 15 more guys doing their drug deals....I find that pretty intimidating. I wont even mention the projects. Those are torture chambers IMO.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
Proud to be an American, proud to be an Angelino
Tell them straight up.Don't let them take our pride away from us.im Proud to be an Angelino.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
The top 2 cities in my opinion are NYC and DC, Chicago and Houston are 3 and 4. LA is about 19th
the Top cities in my opinion are Nyc and L.A.,Chicago and Houston is what, Not even on the List Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.