U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 PM

53 posts, read 128,241 times

Advertisements

1. Utah - I live here and couldn't imagine not spending plenty of time here because it is spectacularly beautiful. It's a photographer's paradise.

2. Colorado - Love Colorado. Love the mountains. Perhaps Colorado Springs.

3. Oregon - I haven't seen much of it but it just seems to be scenically right up there and Portland seems nice.

4. Washington - I'd try to find a part of the state where it isn't cloudy quite so much.

5. California - maybe the San Francisco area, or San Diego. But I'd prefer to hang out in the Rocky Mountain states.

6. New Mexico - I've been investigating this place for our trip next summer and I love the scenery. It may eventually rate higher.

7. Canada - Since some are including Canada as a state, so will I. Lol.

8. Idaho - Perhaps over in the Boise, Coeur d'Alene area.

9. Hawaii - Why not.

10. Minnesota - Seems nice and Minneapolis looks beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 06:28 PM

3,774 posts, read 10,071,154 times
Wow, only 4 mentions of Alaska. I think we are the most beautiful state in the nation. I like Washinton, Oregon, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota and Montana.

Hated California, Nevada. Haven't been east of Ohio, but have been in Tennessee and North Carolina (flew in and left), both nice enough. Idaho is OK, so is Texas, have only driven through the remainder of the states west of the Mississippi.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:23 PM

2,544 posts, read 3,592,661 times
I've been in most of the lower 48, and I have to say they all have something great or beautiful to offer. Not such a big fan of cities, but that's my own bias. I have to speak up for Michigan; it is currently getting a bad rap because of the economy and Detroit politics, but it truly is a beautiful state.

If you're gonna force me to narrow it down:

1. Wisconsin
2. South Dakota
3. Wyoming
4. Alabama
5. New Hampshire
6. Maine
7. Minnesota
8. Montana
9. of course Michigan
10. I have to save the last spot for Alaska; I haven't been there yet but will be soon!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:36 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,577,242 times
California
Oregon
Washington
Hawai'i
Nevada
Alaska
Yukon
British Columbia
Baja California
Baja California Sur

Old 10-11-2008, 01:49 PM

19 posts, read 50,372 times
I'm from Omaha and my Wife is from Connecticut.I've lived Illinois,Iowa,Minnesota,Colorado,Montana & Utah,the last 3 on Air Bases.My Wife has lived in Colorado,Nebraska,Iowa,Minnesota and Virginia.We now live by Grand Rapids,MN.As soon as we sell our home we want to move!We need a place with more mountains and places to roam.Here is our top ten.

1.Colorado
2.Washington
3.Idaho
4.Montana
5.Oregon
6.Wyoming
7.Alaska
8.New Mexico
9.Maine
10.Utah

Old 10-11-2008, 06:09 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,993,695 times
I'm not as well-traveled as some of these posters are, so I can't provide ten.

1) California (weather, ocean, various 'scapes ~ big cities, coastal cities, agriculture, hills, great parks)
2) Arizona (Grand Canyon, great winters, wide open spaces, gorgeous cacti drives, history ~ much Native Indian, Wild West)
3) Lousiana (New Orleans for its history and unique culture, food, music, Mardi Gras, food, bayou history and its people, food)
4) New York (Diverse history, city scapes, so much to DO there, the ENERGY!)
5) Oregon (tree-filled beauty, soft beauty of tree-less rolling hills in eastern Oregon, coastline, the Waterfront Blues Festival)
6) Nevada (the contradiction of under-populated wide open spaces ~ which I like ~ with the glitz of Vegas, great weather most of the year, history)

I've spent time in/lived in Washington and Texas, but I don't like either of those states.

Last edited by Bluesmama; 10-11-2008 at 07:16 PM..

Old 10-11-2008, 06:44 PM

53 posts, read 128,241 times
I'm going to redo mine. I've been thinking about it more and mine have changed slightly...

1. Oregon
2. Washington
3. Utah
4. Alaska
5. Wyoming
6. Colorado
7. New Mexico
8. Montana
9. British Columbia
10. California

I'm really a mountain and wild, great outdoors kind of person.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:27 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,866,419 times
In no particular order, but keeping just to those states that have visited:

Missouri [Ozarks]
Arkansas [Ozarks]
California [SF and northern region]
Colorado [Rockies]
New Mexico
South Dakota [Black Hills-Bad Lands]
Oregon [western area]
TAG - TN, AL, GA tri-state area [near Chattanooga]
South Carolina - western hills
Wisconsin - Door County, esp.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:22 PM

30,225 posts, read 67,372,527 times
1.) Connecticut: After hearing that CT is now the third state to approve same-sex marriage it has bumped MA off of the top spot on my list, since it seems to have a slight edge in other realms for me. I'd prefer to live in an urban area of the state---perhaps in or near Downtown Hartford or Downtown New Haven. It would be great to live so near to Providence, Boston, Albany, and New York City.

2.) Massachusetts: This is still the only state where I saw a state police officer pull over a vehicle for failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. This is also the only state where a transvestite can walk down the street in Provincetown without being seen as an "abnormality." MA is a state of tolerance, and I like that. It also has some awesome historic appeal in its cities (especially Boston, Plymouth, Gloucester, and Salem), excellent seafood, and some outstanding institutions of higher learning. I'd love to live in the western part of the state, near to North Adams or Northampton or right in Beacon Hill, Boston.

3.) Rhode Island: I've never been ceased to be amazed by the friendliness of Rhode Islanders. When our family vacationed in Providence several years ago we were quickly approached by a passing lawyer and given great tips on what restaurants to dine in, what sites to see, etc. As soon as we whipped out a city map in Downtown Providence people seemed to take notice, approach us, and ask us if we needed help finding something. It seems like a better-educated and non-dying Scranton, PA. Don't even get me started on the Cliff Walk in Newport behind the famed mansions.

4.) Maine: I've always enjoyed our visits to Maine, more specifically to Bar Harbor, but I've also read some wonderful things about Greater Portland.

5.) Minnesota: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul consistently rank amongst the best places to live in the nation, the most literate cities in the nation, the friendliest cities in the nation (that "Minnesota nice"), etc. Now that Scranton is losing more and more of its luster in my eyes, Minneapolis is starting to reignite that for me. Duluth is supposed to be a very nice city, as well as Stillwater, Red Wing, Ely, and Winona. The state is fairly tolerant of alternative sexual orientations, has a stable and diversified economy, and has some refreshingly cold winters.

6.) Iowa: I want to see if it lives up to all of the "hype" it gets on this forum. Iowa City sounds like the twin version of State College, PA, Dubuque sounds like a classic historic city on the riverfront, Des Moines is thriving, and Ames is a liberal haven as well. There are many things to like about Iowa, even though the relative isolation to larger metropolitan areas (I'm not counting Omaha), is a bit of a drag.

7.) Wisconsin: I love cheese! Enough said! I also think it would be cool to own a high-rise penthouse along the isthmus in Downtown Madison with views of both lakes. Milwaukee is supposedly a "mini-Chicago." It's also a haven for we Lutherans!

8.) Vermont: Burlington beckons me.

9.) Illinois: Chicago beckons me (save for the sterile suburbs like Naperville...ewww!!!).

10.) Colorado: I'd like to wear a toga and live in a tree in Boulder while telling Republicans that they've ruined our nation since 2001.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 PM

536 posts, read 1,950,295 times
1. Oregon - by far the best landscape, that changes quickly... ocean, forests, mountains, desert....
2. Washington - though I haven't been through the state, it's still the NW.
3. California - it's a big state with alot of different kids of people and places.
4. Nebraska - beautiful state, lots of scenery... not FLAT, Omaha is my hometown and I miss it.
5. Missouri - probably the only other midwest state I like
6. New Mexico - it's always interested me, never been there but has something about it I like.
7. Kentucky/Ohio tied - i have alot of family history there.
8. Pennsylvania - i almost moved there
9. New York - because it's New York
10. Louisiana/Georgia tied - rich in culture, very unique cities and towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or