Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:15 AM

17 posts, read 71,314 times

Advertisements

I know NYC, Chicago, San Fran, etc. are all good, but I'm looking for suggestions on some places that might not immediately spring to mind when considering moving there without a car. I recently went back to school to finish my degree, and I currently live in DeKalb, IL -- a surprisingly easy place to live without a car.

What other areas -- mid-size or overlooked cities, college towns, etc. -- can you think of that would allow me to experience the financial fabulousness of carless living?

Keep in mind -- I'm a very hardy, "scrappy" person who doesn't need *perfect* public transport to get around.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 08:28 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
From what I've read on here, it seems most medium to large cities would fit your needs.

I think some counties in NE Ohio (and the cities in them, of course) would work, too. Stark county, (Canton/Massillon) Summit county, (Akron) and Portage county (Kent) have fairly comprehensive countywide bus service. These county bus systems are all connected, too. So, if you have the time, you could take a bus from Canton, or the Kent State campus, all the way to Cleveland. (Cleveland has a very good mass transit system, but falls under my first statement about medium size cities.)

Old 09-28-2008, 11:34 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
My friend here in Houston doesn't have a car and she gets around just fine using the city bus. Personally I would never use the bus but it works for her. I have used the light rail just for fun but it's not really practical and the expansion plan doesn't seem very practical either but maybe in 20 years it will be useful to the majority of the people in the city. Lots of taxis here too so if you have the money there is also that option to get around.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:07 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,371 times
providence and boston

Old 09-29-2008, 09:30 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Depending on which neighborhood you live in, you can survive without a car in Los Angeles. Westwood (UCLA) and Santa Monica all have amenities within walking distance. Also, Santa Monica has the Big Blue Bus, which is a very cheap and reliable way to get around the west side of Los Angeles if need be.

Many cities in the Northeast are cities where it's plausible to go carless. Hartford, Providence, Syracuse, Albany, and Wilmington are all possibilities.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,166,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
I know NYC, Chicago, San Fran, etc. are all good, but I'm looking for suggestions on some places that might not immediately spring to mind when considering moving there without a car. I recently went back to school to finish my degree, and I currently live in DeKalb, IL -- a surprisingly easy place to live without a car.

What other areas -- mid-size or overlooked cities, college towns, etc. -- can you think of that would allow me to experience the financial fabulousness of carless living?

Keep in mind -- I'm a very hardy, "scrappy" person who doesn't need *perfect* public transport to get around.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
In the South, possibly Atlata, Dallas, and Miami. Pittsburgh, PA isn't bad either.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:54 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Tempe, AZ. It's an indepedent municipality right in the middle of the Phoenix metro area. They have a pretty good local bus system called the Orbit which takes you to a bunch of places around town, in addition to the Valley Metro bus which runs on every arterial street on the grid. Also a pretty good system of designated bike routes going through neighborhood streets. And a light rail which will connect you to central Phoenix. If you plan where you live very carefully, such as an apartment complex that's right next to Safeway or Fry's and a major bus stop, you can actually get around quite well without a car. The sun is SEARING hot, however, since rain is rare and it never snows, you almost never have to worry about weather keeping you from getting to your destination. Sidewalks are extremely wide and are found on every road, both sides of the road. My first two years in Phoenix when I was at ASU I didn't have a car and still managed to get around all over the place-- mainly on bicycle but also occasional busses-- and back then the Orbit bus system didn't even exist.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:30 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
College towns without a doubt.

I lived in Iowa City without a car and it was a piece of cake.

It scored a 98/100 on the walk score.

Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

Old 10-30-2008, 08:05 PM

93,277 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Syracuse has a good bus system that was recently voted one of the best mid sized city transit systems in the country.

Welcome to Centro - A CNYRTA Company

Old 10-30-2008, 08:44 PM

412 posts, read 1,751,702 times
Crested Butte, Colorado. You can walk everywhere and if you need to get from the ski lifts back down to town you just take the free shuttle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.