Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 11:31 AM

910 posts, read 2,983,499 times

Advertisements

I bet Half of you wont know what this city is untill you see the last picture.

this might give it away but i doubt it.

eh maybe a clue..

actually this gave it away, but wait, this Congress street isn't in manhatten

Dont you just want to ride that bus? You should deffinantly come visit and check it out!

look at that lovely architecture.

Times square, beautiful women, what??

WOW!

How can this not be Manhatten? NOT EVEN CLOSE!

See look, this can't be Manhatten, theres a tree silly. Go buy some discount cigarettes, but wait, your not on drugs, this is for real!

No this isn't in California either!

It gets much better in the future

Thats an amazing view on "the other side of the river"

I think you know what it is now

Ya this is Detroit. Aren't you glad you figured that out! I mean after you saw the ren cen it was so obvious right

Heres a fact you might not know about Detroit because all you ever hear good about the place is the Detroit Redwings.

Buildings over 12 stories: 235

Heres a post from a guest on this website, (where i also got all my pictures from)!

Detroit, MI Photo Gallery by mattshaver at pbase.com

Guest 22-May-2007 00:04Detroit has so much potential and could be such a wonderful city. The media is so unkind to this city and are constantly sending the message to people that it is so much worse than it really is. I am an older white woman that lives in a suburb of Detroit and I have been downtown many times by myself and have never had a problem. The people that disappoint me the most are the ones that say bad things about the city, but have never visited it. Yes, it needs to improve and I think it is. Giving up on Detroit is giving up on what was once one of the U.S.'s greatest cities. What a shame!

By the way, you should check out the rest of that site. Great website with great pictures from all over! Give them the credit to these pictures not me, i coppied alot of this post from that site.

This exact post was actually on the US most missunderstood cities thread but nobody seemed to see it. so im starting another thread so people do see it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 11:49 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times
I guessed Detroit. I noticed the "People Mover."

Old 09-28-2008, 01:05 PM

769 posts, read 2,231,850 times
So they cleared up all the burnt out buildings and houses as well as the blocks and blocks of boarded up shops? Cool. More power to Detroit.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:07 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
^ no, most of those have just been torn down, not cleaned up. This is just the downtown area though, not all the neighborhoods.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:02 PM

910 posts, read 2,983,499 times
every big city with over 600,000 people has a "ghetto". especially urban areas of over 5,000,000. There has to be some run down place, but there are really nice areas also. The media hits Detroit real hard and thats part of it, because Detroit isnt the only city like this, look at St. Louis and Memphis. All Memphis is famous for is Elvis and the Blues. But St. Louis has the Gateway arch and alot of history behind that, and Detroit has Motor City, Motown, Immigration in the mid 1800's, Henry and Edsel Ford, etc. I could go all day on Detroit's history. It has potential, it just needs a better supporting cast.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:10 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,310 times
Smile Isn't Detroit just a Crime Ridden Run Down Hell Hole

I thought that Detroit was the worst City in the country. I thought it was a horrible place full of Crime and a lot of run down and abandoned buildings with graffitti all over them. Isn't the biggest ghetto in the country. Are the images of Detroit all wrong??

Old 09-28-2008, 08:22 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Downtown is nice. But ive never seen any nice residential areas of Detroit. Any photos of some nice areas besides downtown? Because whenever someone tries to say Detroit isn't bad, they only post downtown. What about the rest? I mean I like Detroit, im just wondering

Old 09-28-2008, 08:43 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
Downtown looks nice.

We have preconceived notions (positive and negative) about a city. Sometimes notions are wrong.

Unfortunately, Broderick Tower is still empty. Book Tower is having problems, too, apparently.

Hopefully they'll both be occupied before too long.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:43 PM

10 posts, read 23,390 times
Detroit Pictures - Pix of the Motor City
Detroit, Michigan
detroit has its good and bad

Old 09-28-2008, 11:36 PM

97 posts, read 229,355 times
Do they still celebrate with 'devil's night' ? Yeah, too bad about Motown. The big industry.. outsourced. Same for many of our once big & prosperous cities. How can America survive without the manufacturing base located in the states..? It can't last long before..

I'd say the 700+ gigabuck bailout handed to those crooks won't stave off the inevitable for long. We are headed for 2nd world status.. and then..??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.