Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 11:40 AM

485 posts, read 1,839,892 times

Advertisements

I travel all over America on business and I am constantly shocked how some similar sized cities are just full of shopping and dining options, while others are retail and dining wastelands.

What major City or Metro Area has the worst selection of stores, shopping malls and eating establishments?

(The best in Dallas (for middle class level options), I am still thinking about the worst)

Last edited by Refugee56; 09-28-2008 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 11:52 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Sorry, but Dallas? What about New York, Chicago, and San Francisco for the best? I've got nothing against Dallas but to see you put it at number one for shopping and food and such is surprising.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:00 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Every major city has great shopping and dinning. The only people that are going to be listing major cities in this thread probably have never visited those cities.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:34 PM

187 posts, read 524,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Every major city has great shopping and dinning. The only people that are going to be listing major cities in this thread probably have never visited those cities.
Well the question is regarding "large" cities. I agree with the previous post. If Dallas is his/her #1, he/she must be from a small town and Dallas is as large a city he/she has visited. What about NYC, CHI, LA, San Fran, New Orleans, Miami, Boston, Philadelphia, DC. Dallas? Give me a break.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:39 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Sorry, but Dallas? What about New York, Chicago, and San Francisco for the best? I've got nothing against Dallas but to see you put it at number one for shopping and food and such is surprising.
It might have to do with the fact that Dallas as the highest Restaurant to Person ratio or per capita or something along those lines in the country out doing NYC.
I would also like to emphasize the MIDDLE CLASS quote, which I do agree with.
I see many many restaurants for the average joe and Sally, none of the fancy stuff.
It is here, but I think Dallas's restaurants serve the Middle class more than anyone else.
But...everyone entitled to their own opinion.
Dallas is big, I don't understand how people get the idea that sprawlly cities arn't big. Just because someone thinks Dallas is big all of a sudden makes someone from a small town?
A Small city has a metropolitan area of 6.1 Million?
Hey listen...I know some of you don't see much in Dallas. But Come and visit before you go ranting on how we're just never on par with all these other 'great' cities...
Other cities are also victim of this, I feel Houston, Atlanta, Miami, Phoenix, San Diego, Omaha, Austin, Minneapolis, and so many more.
It always about how great Los Angeles, Chicago, and NYC are... Which I mean...Yeah they're nice, but just because other cities aren't Chicago or NYC doesn't make them inferior.
Just because they aren't built to make you happy doesn't make these cities horrible, contrary to what many people on this forum believe.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
You do know Dallas is like a shopping paradise??? Don't knock a city off the list just because it isn't one of the cities you listed.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
Well the question is regarding "large" cities. I agree with the previous post. If Dallas is his/her #1, he/she must be from a small town and Dallas is as large a city he/she has visited. What about NYC, CHI, LA, San Fran, New Orleans, Miami, Boston, Philadelphia, DC. Dallas? Give me a break.
i agree that there are cities out there with more options when it comes to shopping and dining but i don't think there are any large cities with poor options in shopping and dining. You just have to keep an open mind.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
It might have to do with the fact that Dallas as the highest Restaurant to Person ratio or per capita or something along those lines in the country out doing NYC.
I would also like to emphasize the MIDDLE CLASS quote, which I do agree with.
I see many many restaurants for the average joe and Sally, none of the fancy stuff.
It is here, but I think Dallas's restaurants serve the Middle class more than anyone else.
But...everyone entitled to their own opinion.
Dallas is big, I don't understand how people get the idea that sprawlly cities arn't big. Just because someone thinks Dallas is big all of a sudden makes someone from a small town?
A Small city has a metropolitan area of 6.1 Million?
Hey listen...I know some of you don't see much in Dallas. But Come and visit before you go ranting on how we're just never on par with all these other 'great' cities...
Other cities are also victim of this, I feel Houston, Atlanta, Miami, Phoenix, San Diego, Omaha, Austin, Minneapolis, and so many more.
It always about how great Los Angeles, Chicago, and NYC are... Which I mean...Yeah they're nice, but just because other cities aren't Chicago or NYC doesn't make them inferior.
Just because they aren't built to make you happy doesn't make these cities horrible, contrary to what many people on this forum believe.
i've been to both New York City and Dallas and I prefer the shopping in Dallas because i can actually afford to buy things there. It's fun to window shop in New York City but i left with nothing.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
i've been to both New York City and Dallas and I prefer the shopping in Dallas because i can actually afford to buy things there. It's fun to window shop in New York City but i left with nothing.
Exactly. If you like upscale shopping....Texas has Northpark,Highland Village, 2 Galleria Malls, Uptown Park, even a few malls in the suburbs.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:43 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
You do know some of the cities you've listed are smaller than DFW, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.