Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 01:16 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,111,315 times

Advertisements

1. Which states would you call "flat states"?
2. Are they underrated?
3. Do they have more of a Western or Midwestern character?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 01:18 PM

37,741 posts, read 40,796,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
1. Which states would you call "flat states"?
2. Are they underrated?
3. Do they have more of a Western or Midwestern character?

Uh, the first flat state I think of is Florida so the answer would be neither.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:21 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,341,309 times
Flat states would include most of the Great Plains states and most of the Midwest states. Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Iowa (although I think Iowa is more gently rolling hills), Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan. Much of the South is also flat. Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, most of Arkansas, most of Georgia, and Florida.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:30 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,926,363 times
Ummmm...not "most" of GA is flat, maybe south of Macon is mostly flat, but anywhere north of Macon is very hilly (Piedmont, and the Blue Ridge mtns ).

Anyways, when people say "flat states" I guess they mean most of the Great Plains states (Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, etc.)

Old 09-28-2008, 02:02 PM

769 posts, read 2,225,002 times
According to statistics, Florida is the flattest state in the country. So it is neither Western or Midwestern. Florida gets a lot of talk, both good and bad, it depends on who is rating it.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:07 PM

990 posts, read 3,175,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Flat states would include most of the Great Plains states and most of the Midwest states. Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Iowa (although I think Iowa is more gently rolling hills), Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan. Much of the South is also flat. Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, most of Arkansas, most of Georgia, and Florida.
I disagree on many of those you choose. Texas has many large mountains on the west side, and has hill country on the east-side. Oklahoma's East side is full of hills and small mountains. The Balck Hills are in South Dakota ie. Mount Rushmore and North Dakota has some steep areas also. Illinois is manly flat but don't count out the Northwest Corner or the Ozark Foothills. Southern Indiana has some elevation and Michigans Up in not all that flat. Arkansas is very hilly and rugged not exactly flat.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:10 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,926,363 times
Yeah, FL is the most flat state in the U.S....but even it has hilly areas (On the turnpike about 30 miles NW of Orlando, most of North Florida is pretty hilly as well as the Panhandle.)

Old 09-28-2008, 02:16 PM

251 posts, read 707,344 times
Quote:
Texas has many large mountains on the west side, and has hill country on the east-side.
Just a correction, it's the south-central/ west-central part of Texas that has the Hill Country, East Texas is flat.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:21 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,822,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Ummmm...not "most" of GA is flat, maybe south of Macon is mostly flat, but anywhere north of Macon is very hilly (Piedmont, and the Blue Ridge mtns ).

Anyways, when people say "flat states" I guess they mean most of the Great Plains states (Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, etc.)
Exactly. He must not know Georgia very well. The northern half of Georgia is very hilly. Areas south of Macon are also hilly down to around Cordele and just north of Albany. They're simply not as hilly as the areas north of Macon. The flat areas of Georgia are obviously along the coast, southeast Georgia, and south-central and Southwest Georgia from about eighty or so miles from the Florida line southward.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:21 PM

3,068 posts, read 7,982,964 times
Yes, I don't know of a state you can honestly say has no hills. Louisiana is hilly in the north central section and some of the southeast near mississipppi. Not big hills mind you, but enough to break up the topography. If anyone has ever been to Ruston or north of that town, it gets pretty steep in places. You can qualify a "hill" anyway you want, but I know there is a difference between what we call "bottoms" or flatlands and hills. Ruston is about the most flood free town in the state as a result; no streams or bayous nearby. It may have a problem with flash flooding during heavy rainstorms, but I never hear of any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.