U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 10 days ago)
 
48,082 posts, read 45,465,557 times
Reputation: 15325

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well I live in Alabama and I know for a fact the majority of muders in my area are in Prichard (85% black). I here about a shooting every night on the news. Even in my small town of 7600 people most of the murders are black, there were two last week.

Call it racist if you want, that's just the way it is.
I have another question: Why do few people ever ask WHY? You say that race plays into this equation and that blacks committ most of the murders where you live. I have never been to Prichard so I don't really know, but but I would personally ask, WHY does this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2008, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Teaneck, NJ
1,576 posts, read 5,136,377 times
Reputation: 683
Because white people gave black people a hard time back in the day of slavery and most of them never got the chance to get education and ended up being poor and it's very hard to get out of. When the kids grow up with parents that never got an education and always have been poor it rubs off onto the kids and ends up getting trickled down to today's society of a lot of African Americans.

Same as if white trash people have kids and the parents have little education, it usually rubs off onto the whole family.

Just saying that its not just because there black it's why its crime filled.. history on there culture actually does make it harder. A lot are succesfull though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 12:37 PM
 
Location: The Rock!
2,370 posts, read 6,995,779 times
Reputation: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I have another question: Why do few people ever ask WHY? You say that race plays into this equation and that blacks committ most of the murders where you live. I have never been to Prichard so I don't really know, but but I would personally ask, WHY does this happen?
I really don't think it's any secret to an objective observer no matter where in the country this phenomenom occurs: poverty and lack of access to proper education. It's created a vicious cycle of low expectations and even lower collective self esteem. Each and every generation expects successively less from the following. The only obvious way out for many trapped in this cycle is to turn to drugs and crime. This can happen to ANY community no matter the color of the skin of the inhabitants. It just so happens that blacks are disproportionately poverty stricken in our country.

I'd be much more interested in hearing some ideas as to how we can get so many people out of this miserable situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 10 days ago)
 
48,082 posts, read 45,465,557 times
Reputation: 15325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I really don't think it's any secret to an objective observer no matter where in the country this phenomenom occurs: poverty and lack of access to proper education. It's created a vicious cycle of low expectations and even lower collective self esteem. Each and every generation expects successively less from the following. The only obvious way out for many trapped in this cycle is to turn to drugs and crime. This can happen to ANY community no matter the color of the skin of the inhabitants. It just so happens that blacks are disproportionately poverty stricken in our country.

I'd be much more interested in hearing some ideas as to how we can get so many people out of this miserable situation.
Reading your statement, I would figure as much. Few people ever think about that though.

People do look at crime statistics and often look at race as well. I have looked up the statistics and blacks are often represented as committing more crimes than most people. Statistically, that might be the case, but few people ever ask why. We should all ask WHY and try to solve the problem rather than let it be. There is no cure-all for crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Alabama!
5,849 posts, read 15,938,946 times
Reputation: 4348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I really don't think it's any secret to an objective observer no matter where in the country this phenomenom occurs: poverty and lack of access to proper education. It's created a vicious cycle of low expectations and even lower collective self esteem. Each and every generation expects successively less from the following. The only obvious way out for many trapped in this cycle is to turn to drugs and crime. This can happen to ANY community no matter the color of the skin of the inhabitants. It just so happens that blacks are disproportionately poverty stricken in our country.

I'd be much more interested in hearing some ideas as to how we can get so many people out of this miserable situation.
Interesting. Both my parents grew up dirt-poor in the 1920s and 1930s. My dad graduated from high school...only because he was an only child. If there had been others, he would have had to drop out and work. Like my mom did - her father ordered her to quit school and get a job to help support her 7 brothers and sisters (she was glad to help, but she regretted dropping out).

So...even though we were never rich, my parents encouraged me and my brother to stay in school. I have a 4-year-degree, he has a 2-year-degree, and we both own our houses and pay our bills.

What's the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 05:46 PM
 
1,084 posts, read 3,472,915 times
Reputation: 338
i know what you mean, except my parents grew up during the depression in germany right after worldwar2 and they both make decent money.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Interesting. Both my parents grew up dirt-poor in the 1920s and 1930s. My dad graduated from high school...only because he was an only child. If there had been others, he would have had to drop out and work. Like my mom did - her father ordered her to quit school and get a job to help support her 7 brothers and sisters (she was glad to help, but she regretted dropping out).

So...even though we were never rich, my parents encouraged me and my brother to stay in school. I have a 4-year-degree, he has a 2-year-degree, and we both own our houses and pay our bills.

What's the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 08:22 AM
 
Location: The Rock!
2,370 posts, read 6,995,779 times
Reputation: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Interesting. Both my parents grew up dirt-poor in the 1920s and 1930s. My dad graduated from high school...only because he was an only child. If there had been others, he would have had to drop out and work. Like my mom did - her father ordered her to quit school and get a job to help support her 7 brothers and sisters (she was glad to help, but she regretted dropping out).

So...even though we were never rich, my parents encouraged me and my brother to stay in school. I have a 4-year-degree, he has a 2-year-degree, and we both own our houses and pay our bills.

What's the difference?

Most people were dirt poor in the 20's and 30's. The Great Depression had significant impact on the vast majority of Americans. It's also no secret that the depression helped serve as an excuse to enforce some of the most heinous post-slavery repression of blacks this country has ever seen. While Jim Crow, Sundown towns, and the KKK had been in existence since well before the depression, the depression saw a major increase in sundown towns across the country where they did not exist prior and greater enforcement of Jim Crow laws in the South. Activity of hate groups increased dramatically as whites sought to protect what jobs were still available.

More whites were able to recover from the depression more quickly because of these events.

My dad grew up dirt poor in a shack. His family picked cotton. My mom was a little better off because her dad protected his assets during the depression. Both my sister and I graduated college because my parents insisted on it. From my earliest memory, it was a foregone conclusion that I would be going to college. However, in the dirt poor mostly all white community in which I grew up, very few parents cared if their children went to college. I think only 4 other kids with whom I graduated high school bothered to go on to college. Most of the community leaders there to this day barely possess a high school education. They may have a lot of common sense and know enough people in the local area to keep the community eeking along but it will never rise out of it's poverty stricken state until people realize the value of an education.

You answered your own question, it's all in the parenting. Parents who tell their children they will go to college and be successful will be much more likely to see that happen. Parents who just hope their children will go to college will probably see them never make it. Even less likely to succeed in life are children of parents who project defeatism. I believe there is a tangible sense of defeatism in many of our black communities in this country. I think it's very important to remember that we are barely 3 generations removed from segregation and overt, pervasive racism that cut across most all segments of our society. That isn't something that heals overnight. There are not enough strong, successful leaders to project pride in themselves in these communities. Those who get out of these places and find success, don't come back to demonstrate what can be done in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 08:58 AM
 
Location: New York City
2,814 posts, read 6,018,532 times
Reputation: 3164
This may start a war here, but I have this belief that violence begets violence. Certain cultures are harsher with their children than others. I think that if a poor, uneducated black family treats their children with respect and decency it is unlikely that these children will grow up to be violent offenders. On the other hand, most of the people serving time in prisons for violent crime were treated harshly as children. They were "beaten", "whipped", and "abused". When a child is hurt over and over again they grow up very angry. It's easier to hurt another person when you've been repeatedly hurt yourself. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think that when the rate of child abuse drops so will the violent crime rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Floribama
14,986 posts, read 31,366,361 times
Reputation: 13785
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
This may start a war here, but I have this belief that violence begets violence. Certain cultures are harsher with their children than others. I think that if a poor, uneducated black family treats their children with respect and decency it is unlikely that these children will grow up to be violent offenders. On the other hand, most of the people serving time in prisons for violent crime were treated harshly as children. They were "beaten", "whipped", and "abused". When a child is hurt over and over again they grow up very angry. It's easier to hurt another person when you've been repeatedly hurt yourself. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think that when the rate of child abuse drops so will the violent crime rate.
Well I was spanked as a child when I acted up and I turned out okay. That said, I have noticed that many black women tend to be verbally abusive to their kids. I have been in a store many times and heard "I'm gonna beat your ass" or "sit your stupid ass down!". If it were a white woman talking like that someone would call DHS, but with black women people have a tendency to think it's okay. I have also noticed many black kids are not taught manners. A few weeks ago I was in a restaurant eating when two very young black children came to my table and started asking for my fries. Their mother was about 20 feet away yaking to someone and I know she saw them, but she never said a word. She didn't care as long as they were leaving her alone. I finally had to yell at her "you need to come get your kids".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 01:43 PM
 
Location: New York City
2,814 posts, read 6,018,532 times
Reputation: 3164
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well I was spanked as a child when I acted up and I turned out okay. That said, I have noticed that many black women tend to be verbally abusive to their kids. I have been in a store many times and heard "I'm gonna beat your ass" or "sit your stupid ass down!". If it were a white woman talking like that someone would call DHS, but with black women people have a tendency to think it's okay. I have also noticed many black kids are not taught manners. A few weeks ago I was in a restaurant eating when two very young black children came to my table and started asking for my fries. Their mother was about 20 feet away yaking to someone and I know she saw them, but she never said a word. She didn't care as long as they were leaving her alone. I finally had to yell at her "you need to come get your kids".

I have to disagree with your comment about black people not teaching their kids manners. I have heard black people say that white children aren't taught manners when they see them having temper tantrums in stores. No one is right, because clearly ill-mannered children come in all races. Think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top