Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 02:20 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,676,898 times

Advertisements

New Jersey, 8.6 Million and 380 murders 2007.. not too bad.

the sad part is that more then half of those murders are in Essex and Camden Counties when they are 21 counties total.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 02:32 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,676,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well I was spanked as a child when I acted up and I turned out okay. That said, I have noticed that many black women tend to be verbally abusive to their kids. I have been in a store many times and heard "I'm gonna beat your ass" or "sit your stupid ass down!". If it were a white woman talking like that someone would call DHS, but with black women people have a tendency to think it's okay. I have also noticed many black kids are not taught manners. A few weeks ago I was in a restaurant eating when two very young black children came to my table and started asking for my fries. Their mother was about 20 feet away yaking to someone and I know she saw them, but she never said a word. She didn't care as long as they were leaving her alone. I finally had to yell at her "you need to come get your kids".
o what a horrible example.
I used to steal peoples food off the table when i was a kid, and tips too and i was a White Italian American. My mom was with her friends talking away and i roamed around. Kids will be kids, at least they asked

Maybe because i was born and raised in Newark, NJ and grew up around black people all my life... No, i just grew up in a poor area with a hard working mother who worked more then took care of me evn though she took care of me every moment she had.

nothing to do with race.. like i said, back in history when black ppl were slaves and all, the parents had no education or very little, made little to no money, and had no freedom and learned not to like anyone but family caused the child to have a hard life and this trickles down to even today. Some people make it but some people don't.

Just like white trash.. when the parents have little education and make little money, it rubs off onto the children and its hard to get out of and feels like some sort of pride.

like that Ghetto pride or Redneck pride crap.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:58 PM

421 posts, read 1,562,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
It's not racist to cite statistics. However, it is racist to say that an individual is more likely to commit a crime just because he/she belongs to a certain demographic group.
If members of a certain racial or ethnic group have been shown, statistically, to commit more crimes, members of this group are indeed more likely to commit crimes, providing that the stats are accurate. Accuracy in stats is very nebulous, though, as there are always confounds. How many crimes are being reported and, thus, recorded as crimes in the UCR's can be a huge confounding variable. Many rapes, for example, are not reported, so UCR data on rape rates may not be very reliable. Common sense would dictate that the most accurate UCR stats are on murder. How often is a murder going to go unnoticed? The stats on this are that young black males are considerably more likely to commit a murder than white males, black females, or members of any other group.

Instead of accusing the stats of racism, a person who respects the black community considers the behavioral roots of why young black males are more likely to commit murders. It is not because they are black. Violence is a learned behavior, and can be learned by anyone of any race or ethnicity. Our country has a long way to go in being a true democracy where all individuals have an equal chance to live their dreams. Communities like Gary, IN have fewer opportunities due to racism, and murder rates that reflect the desperation and frustration of local residents. These folks need opportunities to be productive in their lives and opportunities to make money without turning to crime.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:23 AM

92,576 posts, read 122,890,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
If members of a certain racial or ethnic group have been shown, statistically, to commit more crimes, members of this group are indeed more likely to commit crimes, providing that the stats are accurate. Accuracy in stats is very nebulous, though, as there are always confounds. How many crimes are being reported and, thus, recorded as crimes in the UCR's can be a huge confounding variable. Many rapes, for example, are not reported, so UCR data on rape rates may not be very reliable. Common sense would dictate that the most accurate UCR stats are on murder. How often is a murder going to go unnoticed? The stats on this are that young black males are considerably more likely to commit a murder than white males, black females, or members of any other group.

Instead of accusing the stats of racism, a person who respects the black community considers the behavioral roots of why young black males are more likely to commit murders. It is not because they are black. Violence is a learned behavior, and can be learned by anyone of any race or ethnicity. Our country has a long way to go in being a true democracy where all individuals have an equal chance to live their dreams. Communities like Gary, IN have fewer opportunities due to racism, and murder rates that reflect the desperation and frustration of local residents. These folks need opportunities to be productive in their lives and opportunities to make money without turning to crime.
When people say that such and such group commits more crime, where are the stats tough? You can find them online too. For instance, the rate for Blacks in terms of homicides are high, but the actual numbers are roughly the same for Blacks and Whites. It's just that there are 6 times more Whites than Blacks in the US. Hence, the rate. Then, think about things like property crimes, in which the rates are slightly higher for Blacks in terms of being victims of and committing such acts and crimes like drunk and reckless driving. You have to keep in mind that rates and actual numbers aren't the same. So, when people say this, where is the proof?

Just go to the Bureau of Justice and FBI sites for info.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:31 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,388,458 times
Louisiana has the highest per capita murder rate any state for the last 20 years in a row (1989-2008) while posting the highest incarceration rate for 15 of the last 20 years. When will they realize that arresting their way out of the problem has not worked

Old 01-21-2010, 11:37 PM

739 posts, read 1,844,505 times
The looser the gun laws, the higher the murder rate. New Mexico has some of the most lenient gun laws in the country. Do the math.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:57 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,630,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
The looser the gun laws, the higher the murder rate. New Mexico has some of the most lenient gun laws in the country. Do the math.
Ridiculous comment.

Vermont has some of the loosest gun laws in the U.S. (One of only 2 states to allow concealed carry without even requiring a license) and is in the top 5 safest states.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:40 AM

739 posts, read 1,844,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Ridiculous comment.

Vermont has some of the loosest gun laws in the U.S. (One of only 2 states to allow concealed carry without even requiring a license) and is in the top 5 safest states.
How many Vermonters actually carry guns? How many guns are in circulation there? The fewer the guns, the lower the murder rate.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:53 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,630,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
How many Vermonters actually carry guns? How many guns are in circulation there? The fewer the guns, the lower the murder rate.
I'm not sure of the exact statistics, but I'd be willing to bet that Vermont's low crime rate is more a matter of it being A) One of the most rural states and B) The second whitest state after Maine, than it does with how many Vermonters actually carry guns. There is a big hunting culture in northern New England, not just Vermont, but New Hampshire and Maine as well. Don't pretend as if gun ownership is so miniscule in that region. Yet it's one of the safest, if not the safest.

New Mexico has problems with crime because it A) Borders Mexico(Arizona and Texas have similar problems along the U.S.-Mexican border) and B) Has a large Hispanic population, some illegal immigrants, which has contributed to an extreme rise in drug trafficking and gang activity. Worry about that before you worry about the average New Mexican owning a gun.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:59 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,588,599 times
I think Vermont has about a 42% legal ownership level and New Mexico in the 35% range. These were 2001 numbers and was based on a not so large survey group. If someone has newer numbers it would be interesting to see.

Getting back to murder rates, I was surprised at the high percentage of murders committed by relatives, friends and acquaintances. It is around 45% of all murders.

Expanded Homicide Data Table 10 - Crime in the United States 2008 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/offenses/expanded_information/data/shrtable_10.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.