U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,991 times

Advertisements

According to: [URL="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7559996.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7559996.stm[/URL] whites will become a minority in 2042.

Is this actually possible? Did the people who made this estimate make prior estimates on population demographics? Were those prior estimates accurate?

How can whites become a minority if they comprise about 70% of the population? Does this include illegal immigrants and the prison populations?

In addition, with the increase of the hispanic population to 1/3 of the population, will the following possibilities become likely?

a) Will there be many proposals for a bi-lingual country?
b) Will there be proposals that will seek to financially and politically aid Latin American countries more often, most likely Mexico? i.e. amnesties
c) Will discrimination against whites and possibly non-whites become commonplace?
d) Will Latin American music dominate our country's music scene?
e) Will Americans of Mexican descent see themselves as Mexicans instead of Americans? Will the reconquista become a reality?

Note: I'm only about 10 so I'm not very knowledgeable on all of this stuff.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:30 PM

55,644 posts, read 74,585,953 times
not to worry we will be broke long b4 that, it will be like living in haiti just like heaven
ask anybody from there.
they just dont get it do they, its not bout americans having a lota money and pretty women its about living a life that produces both.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:56 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,271,024 times
if this is really true i dont think the hispanics are going to have a easy time conquering the Northern States especially like North Dakota where most people claim Scandanavian ancestry.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:08 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,804,298 times
I think the majority will be people that are biracial. I look forward to that day.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:08 PM

149 posts, read 666,864 times
Be careful you don't misinterpret the data in the article. Even if white people don't comprise over 50% of the population by 2050, they will still be the major racial group at an estimated 46.3%. It's not like Hispanics are goingto outnumber whites. White people just won't outnumber all other racial groups combined.

It's most likely that Hispanics will become assimilated into American culture, the same way that other ethnicities have. Of course America will adopt some of their culture, such as food, some words/language, and mix blood. The important thing to remember is that their children, grandchildren, etc. will be American citizens so don't have an "us vs. them" mentality.

Last edited by jasape; 09-30-2008 at 07:18 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 07:18 PM

5,522 posts, read 12,283,883 times
By 2042 many (possibly most) Hispanics will be reclassified/considered "white".

Remember, back in the 1800s, the Irish and Italians were considered by many WASPs to be non-white and inferior.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:17 PM

5,230 posts, read 11,669,553 times
It will happen way before 2042.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:30 PM

3,597 posts, read 7,703,815 times
Well, although personally I don't care, if one were simply racist and/or bigoted I wouldn't consider this an issue.

The United States has an uncanny ability to take second and third generations of immigrants and convert them into whiny, exasperating teenagers who value none of the qualities which busted their parents backs and built their fortunes. That's mostly the American culture we see, be it white or black.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:38 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,711,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think the majority will be people that are biracial. I look forward to that day.
Power to us Bi-Racials!
I can't wait until that day, the day in which America will show that it is truly the land of all.
That you don't have to have White or black skin, or funny looking eyes and eat salsa to be an American.
Yes it is possible...The Asian and Hispanic populations are growing like nuts, and the African population is growing as well but at a slower rate.
It is already becoming true, when my father was a kid...all you basically saw on TV was Caucasians with a few Africans and Hispanics and an occasional Asian.
Now TV emphasizes racial diversity, it is almost expected that each sub group be represented.
I heard it was 2050.
And that the Racal make up would roughly be:
10% African
10% Asian
49% Caucasin
30% Hispanic

You should be proud of yourself, for 10 years old you seem more mature than half the adults on the forum...

a) Will there be many proposals for a bi-lingual country?
Probably not, I expect Spanish, Chinese, and Various forms of Filipino to be wildly spoken.
b) Will there be proposals that will seek to financially and politically aid Latin American countries more often, most likely Mexico? i.e. amnesties
IF you mean Aunt Rodriguez sending money home to Peru...yes...its already happening. If you mean political agendas to aid other countries...yeah...not anymore than now though.
c) Will discrimination against whites and possibly non-whites become commonplace?
YES, and No...the long time the US stays this way the more integrated the less discrimination will take place. However there will always be racism...There is discrimination against whites today...Examples are how Colleges and universities pick candidates based on race...and a quote from Ray Negin on the "chocolate city"
d) Will Latin American music dominate our country's music scene?
LOLOLOL...no... the American culture takes what it likes and leave out what it doesn't.
We'll still have classical and rap...and rock....and perhaps maybe even some Latin American music
but not to the extent in which everyone listens and likes it...Like US Chinese food, nothing like real Chinese food...but the culture took Orange Chicken and named it Chinese...same with Music...
e) Will Americans of Mexican descent see themselves as Mexicans instead of Americans? Will the reconquista become a reality?
No more and more Mexicans are losing sign of their heritage, more and more mexican americans can't speak spanish... Many will seem themselves simply as Mexican American.
I as a half Chinese half Mexican individual see myself as an American, BUT WILL NOT FORGET where my ancestors came from. The 'Reconquista' won't happen, thats like saying if NYC would've become part of italy.
The US might have a large hispanic population, but it will remain the US.

Last edited by CMDallas; 09-30-2008 at 08:52 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 09:11 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,245,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimihendrixfan View Post
Note: I'm only about 10 so I'm not very knowledgeable on all of this stuff.
Yeah, and I'm Heidi from the Austrian Alps.

You think we're stupid? The old trick of almost making statements pretending they are questions, and then playing innocent.

Let it be know I've made many threads on whites and I'm against political correctness. However, you're clearly a provocateur. Stormfront material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.