U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 06:10 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,661,754 times

Advertisements

I know that may sound like a strange comparison.I'm specifically wondering, about jobs and what types are available in both cities.Average price of rent and just the vibe you get in both. There are things I love about both places, I like both universities, but have always been a "eers fan.I like having all four seasons and that both are on water. I don't like that Vermont would be so far from my family, but can always fly. I am also wondering about healthcare in both these beautiful towns. I realize that WV is not VT,or vice versa,I just really have fallen in love with both towns and see that both have many advantages and just a few disadvantages with both. HELP!

Thanks for your answers!
M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 01:36 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,325,418 times
I've been in both, but can't really tel you much about either. When I ws in Morgantown, I had an address of a friend I wanted to look up. I asked at a fire statin how to find it, they told me forget it, nobody can find anything in Morgantown, even with a map, because the streets are a hopeless maze and none of them go anywhere. Burlington made more geographic sense, and seemed like a very liveable city. Morgantown is the university town, which would be the central feature to life and society there. Burlington people seemed to feel very good about their town and proud of it.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:03 PM

5,707 posts, read 8,773,655 times
I just came back from Morgantown and can only say good things about the Dental Scool but was disappointed by the town. I had higher expectations. I thought the university was attractive and there were a couple of nice blocks downtown but the rest of the town seemed dumpy or sprawly. Nothing inspired me to linger.

As for the river, it sits way back down below the town, although I saw a waterfront park, other than that and a bike trail the town does not relate to the river. My recollections of Burlington are foggy, but I recall a better relationship to the lake.

The only noteworthy thing about Morgantown are the pods gliding along on the monorails and they made me smile to see them but is that enough? I did stumble across a nice creek on the outskirts of town to sit by.

I hope someone who is more familiar with these towns will weigh in. I'm curious what other things you liked about the towns.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:23 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,473,441 times
one of the positives of Burlington is easy access to Montreal and all its cultural attractions.. Its about 95 miles, under 2 hours... great city..

Old 10-02-2008, 11:44 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,325,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
one of the positives of Burlington is easy access to Montreal and all its cultural attractions.. Its about 95 miles, under 2 hours... great city..

It is no longer easy enough to get across the border and back, and getting worse.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:00 AM

56,736 posts, read 81,038,544 times
As an alternative to Burlington, Plattsburgh NY may work and you can take the ferry across Lake Champlain for work. Lake Champlain Ferries | New York & Vermont Ferry Crossings | Lake Champlain Transportation

Old 01-16-2015, 11:09 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
This thread is nearly seven years old...

Old 01-16-2015, 12:20 PM

56,736 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
This thread is nearly seven years old...
What happened to the newer post that was in the thread? Strange.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or