U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 06:49 PM

337 posts, read 649,623 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I am preparing for a move in the next year or so. I want to move from the area where I live (mostly rural) to a more urban area. I am lawyer and want to continue the practice of law. In particular I would like to work in an US attorney’s office or District Attorney’s office. I have prepared a list of factors to look at for the city I wind up moving to.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Cultural and historical attractions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Well kept downtown, but also with an attractive countryside surrounding the city.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]A good public library system and school system, including higher education[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]An active arts scene [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Good infrastructure and public transit[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]A collegial legal community[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Accessible to transportation networks (rail and air)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]A temperate to warm climate/mild winters[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Reasonable commute[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Cost of living with affordable housing[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]A well rounded media scene (newspapers/TV stations/radio stations)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Nearby opportunities for hiking and outdoor recreation[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]A tradition of community service/involvement [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]A good system of health care establishments[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Professional sports of some kind (preferably minor league baseball)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]South/southwestern/northwestern[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Small to medium sized city[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Well rounded social scene (I’m not talking dating here, but having a wide variety of events to attend and participate in)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I would appreciate everyone thoughts on the factors and what cities you think meet these factors.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Some of the cities I have thought about are [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Louisville KY[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Lexington KY[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Knoxville TN[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Nashville TN[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Asheville NC[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Charlotte NC[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Atlanta GA [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Augusta GA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Columbus GA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Athens GA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Austin TX[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Eugene OR[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Roanoke VA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Norfolk VA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thank you for your opinions.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 08:50 PM

My apologies. I'm having trouble with the formatting and also my internet connection is wonky. I'll try to fix the problems as best I can over the next day or so.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:02 PM

16 posts, read 82,638 times
I'm going to say Eugene would be a good choice. There is lots of colleges,arts and newpapers which you want. It's not a warm climate but not cold either. It's a kind of big city but not too big. Eugene is not the south like your other choices so the culture will be different.Food might be different too as you won't find grits and fried vegies.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:54 AM

23,661 posts, read 33,511,402 times
Out of your list Louisville or Norfolk would fit you well. Just note that Norfolk can be pretty pricey, not DC or NYC expensive but more expensive than most other Southern or Midwestern cities. Louisville is pretty cheap and i would pick it over Norfolk even though i grew up outside of Norfolk.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregold View Post
I'm going to say Eugene would be a good choice. There is lots of colleges,arts and newpapers which you want. It's not a warm climate but not cold either. It's a kind of big city but not too big. Eugene is not the south like your other choices so the culture will be different.Food might be different too as you won't find grits and fried vegies.
Eugene does look attractive to me. The culture is of some concern to me, but not to worry, I'm not a big fan of grits.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Out of your list Louisville or Norfolk would fit you well. Just note that Norfolk can be pretty pricey, not DC or NYC expensive but more expensive than most other Southern or Midwestern cities. Louisville is pretty cheap and i would pick it over Norfolk even though i grew up outside of Norfolk.
Louisville looks very attractive to me. I've been there many times and liked what I saw. I don't know as much about Norfolk and will have to do more research.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:08 PM

980 posts, read 2,911,574 times
Well I would love to name some places, so here I go. I don't know if you have considered Portland, Oregon. I would call it a mild climate area, with alot of small city charm in a big city enviornment. Also have you thought about Sacramento, California im sure there are plenty of legal jobs as it is the state capitol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or