U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2008, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Sun Diego, CA
521 posts, read 1,491,144 times
Reputation: 325

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Actually you are incorrect as usual, we defend TX against uppity Californians like you! I hope that I no credibility from you. Just because you don't like many peoples opinions doesn't mean you have to attack them
LoL. Californians like me. I think you're problem with me is that Im one the Angelinos that constantly post positive stuff about LA, and challenge bunholes like you to quit stereotyping. You hate to see anybody post anything positive about CA/LA.
Honestly...start putting em up. Find them posts where Im constantly bashing Texas. Wont find much of anything at all. About NY as well. I dont flame other peoples home like you constantly do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2008, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Kind of like you and about 4 others on here need to learn that there is a world outside of california? I am sure that every NY and TX poster considers all your posts to be ignorant so it is a 2 way street.
Hey wesside, I got 9 rep points from this post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 07:50 PM
 
Location: San Diego
100 posts, read 122,080 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
First of all, note that this is 2008, not 1968. Technology is better, which allows filming to be done in other cities. Many studios have been added to New York, Miami, Chicago, and some to other cities. Most notably New York, which has cleaned up and renovated old abandoned piers and warehouses and turned them into modern film studios.

Sav, I don't think you know much about Hollywood, am I right? Since when have you looked to see where each movie was filmed? Since when are you a film producer? There's a new guy on my road who's a big time film producer. I've never heard of him, but then again, I've can't remember a name of ANY film producer.

Angelenos like to think Hollywood is theirs, but it's not so thriving anymore. Broadway had beautiful old theaters that are being transformed into state-pf-the-art major film studios. Quite sad, but things change. If New York could get rid of every film studio in the city for movies and bring back our traditional theaters, I wouldn't hesitate. Movies are jokes.

Remember this... 20 years ago, not even 1/3 of American movies produced were produced in New York. Now, 2/3 of American movies produced are produced in New York.
this is not ture just because a movie is made in another city dosen't mean that city owns that film industry, show me these studios that are poping up in New York and Chicago because I don't see them, last time I check Hollywood owns all the movie industries. The movies that come out every week are from hollywood based movie producers. Really every movie can't be done in hollywood because the story to the movie might take place in Chicago or New York, that dosen't mean that city made the movie just because it was filmed there, it means hollywood based industries go out and film in diffrent locations prior to the need of the story and the location and plot of the movie and how the directors view of the movie should be and the best way to get that auethentic look is to film in other locations not make a fake back drop in a hollywood studio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Sun Diego, CA
521 posts, read 1,491,144 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMetropolis View Post
this is not ture just because a movie is made in another city dosen't mean that city owns that film industry, show me these studios that are poping up in New York and Chicago because I don't see them, last time I check Hollywood owns all the movie industries. The movies that come out every week are from hollywood based movie producers. Really every movie can't be done in hollywood because the story to the movie might take place in Chicago or New York, that dosen't mean that city made the movie just because it was filmed there, it means hollywood based industries go out and film in diffrent locations prior to the need of the story and the location and plot of the movie and how the directors view of the movie should be and the best way to get that auethentic look is to film in other locations not make a fake back drop in a hollywood studio.
From the sound of it, since I put this loser on ignore, it sounds like he's trying to claim that either NY has taken Hollywood from Los Angeles, or that nobody cares about Hollywood and its significance to the nation.

Just comes to show that you dont have to be anything short of a dumbass to type on the computer.
Seriously, does it just pick at this guy's skin to hear anything positive about Los Angeles or what? All he does is cry about how everything is not so good in LA. God forbid LA gets the Olympics again, so we can hear him rant about how all the attention "remains" on NY.

Anyways. I doubt Hollywood will ever lose any of its popularity and mistique. Motion pictures and television has taken over as the most popular form of entertainment since its existence. Though going to the theatre and watching a Broadway hit will always be timeless, it can never compare to the money blockbuster movies make. Hollywood will always remain on the top of movie/television production. Alot probably has to do with the LA lifestyle that insurmountably supports the Hollywood life. The best weather in the nation, and the lifestyle is like a magnet to actors, and producers whom can shoot any type of film, on any background (metro, suburban, beach, mountain, sunny/snowing), 365 days out of the year.
Plus, the fact that Hollywood has been around so long has pretty much carved its permanent spot on the forefront of television and film production. It would take a long time for any city to even make a dent into becoming the next Hollywood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 02:14 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
263 posts, read 732,739 times
Reputation: 106
There is quite the excitement in new york for landing "Ugly Betty" as a local production. Like Michigan, new york is using heavy tax incentives to lure production out of Los Angeles. It works, however, the season premier of Ugly Betty, from what I've read, turned out to prove an ancient point of mine: Los Angeles is filmed entertainment, new york is filmed advertisement. Magazines published in new york touted all the 'famous' locations that they were able to use in just the opening episode. As if that were the purpose of a show like that at all- where most of the action of the series had previously taken place inside their upscale 'office'. New york can never be big enough in this regard because it doesn't have the talent OR character to produce anything that DOESN'T have anything to do with itself. It is a promotional w h o r e. Old point- holds true even today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 11:34 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,453 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Reputation: 8919
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
You'd be surprised. When you live in the Northeast, a lot of things are convenient.

But not once has an Angeleno tried to back up his claims with facts, just a bunch of biased and arrogant opinions about how great LA is and how underrated it is and how the federal government is negligent to LA, etc. Sav, one of your fellow Californians, is complaining that the federal government will not provide LA with help regarding public transportation. Give me a break. You guys are always boasting about how you don't need the rest of the country but when it comes to money, politics, and improving your city, you won't hesitate to beg us and then claim that we are negligent to LA when you don't every cent you want.
You don't back up any of your claims with facts either, including on this thread. You just spew arrogant OPINIONS all the time just like the posters you complain about; talk about the POT calling the KETTLE black. All you do is post a bunch of youtube video links of Yankees games or whatever for god knows what reason. Or post a link to pictures of Brooklyn as if that proves anything.

Why do you apply what one or two posters say to every single Californian? Your generalizations are so damn absurd.

Quote:
you won't hesitate to beg us and then claim that we are negligent to LA when you don't every cent you want
Who is "us" and "we"? Ca is just as part of this nation as anywhere else so don't act like we are asking "you" for money. CA has a right to its fair share of federal dollars as anywhere else. Also considering that CA is a donor sate and sends more money to Washington DC than we get back I think it's fair to expect something in return eventually.
http://www.calinst.org/pubs/bop2000.pdf

You seriously have some sick obsession with CA and LA, get over it already and focus on things that don't pisss you off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 10,720,075 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Hey wesside, I got 9 rep points from this post
Now you have 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 10,720,075 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You don't back up any of your claims with facts either, including on this thread. You just spew arrogant OPINIONS all the time just like the posters you complain about; talk about the POT calling the KETTLE black. All you do is post a bunch of youtube video links of Yankees games or whatever for god knows what reason. Or post a link to pictures of Brooklyn as if that proves anything.

Why do you apply what one or two posters say to every single Californian? Your generalizations are so damn absurd.

Who is "us" and "we"? Ca is just as part of this nation as anywhere else so don't act like we are asking "you" for money. CA has a right to its fair share of federal dollars as anywhere else. Also considering that CA is a donor sate and sends more money to Washington DC than we get back I think it's fair to expect something in return eventually.
http://www.calinst.org/pubs/bop2000.pdf

You seriously have some sick obsession with CA and LA, get over it already and focus on things that don't pisss you off.
Just because I don't post the links to the facts as much doesn't mean they aren't facts. I knew Southern California was more obese than NYC and Boston, I stated it a hundred times, but nobody believed me until another member created a thread clearly displaying my argument as the truth. If you feel like browsing the site, YOU can look for the 1/3 of movies crap, but I'm not. It's on here somewhere, but I don't have the patience to look.

California sends more money to DC for one reason... Population. If you created a state on the East Coast the size of CA, we'd send even more money! That would be from Boston to what, Atlanta? Imagine that. We basically are one state from Boston to DC. Same white collar, get out of my way, no nonsense way of life that I've grown to know and love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 02:29 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,453 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Reputation: 8919
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Just because I don't post the links to the facts as much doesn't mean they aren't facts. I knew Southern California was more obese than NYC and Boston, I stated it a hundred times, but nobody believed me until another member created a thread clearly displaying my argument as the truth. If you feel like browsing the site, YOU can look for the 1/3 of movies crap, but I'm not. It's on here somewhere, but I don't have the patience to look.
The same can be said for the posters you complain about. Just b/c they don't post links doesn't make what they any less true than what you claim either. so you don't have to back up your claims with evidence but other posters do, talk about a HYPOCRITE and a DOUBLE STANDARD! Take a look in the mirror! You do the same exact sh*t as the posters you complain about then try to call them out on it. Give me a break and get real buddy.
Quote:
California sends more money to DC for one reason... Population. If you created a state on the East Coast the size of CA, we'd send even more money! That would be from Boston to what, Atlanta? Imagine that. We basically are one state from Boston to DC. Same white collar, get out of my way, no nonsense way of life that I've grown to know and love.
Why do you pretend to know what you're talking about when you don't? Just b/c you come up with an explanation in your head that makes sense to you doesn't mean that's how it works. CA isn't the only donor state, I believe NJ and MA are one's as well, and many other states with smaller populations are donor states as well. This data is old and not as accurate today but it gives a general sense of which states are donor states: Donor States Giving Until it Hurts (http://rockproducts.com/mag/rock_donor_states_giving/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 10,720,075 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The same can be said for the posters you complain about. Just b/c they don't post links doesn't make what they any less true than what you claim either. so you don't have to back up your claims with evidence but other posters do, talk about a HYPOCRITE and a DOUBLE STANDARD! Take a look in the mirror! You do the same exact sh*t as the posters you complain about then try to call them out on it. Give me a break and get real buddy.
Why do you pretend to know what you're talking about when you don't? Just b/c you come up with an explanation in your head that makes sense to you doesn't mean that's how it works. CA isn't the only donor state, I believe NJ and MA are one's as well, and many other states with smaller populations are donor states as well. This data is old and not as accurate today but it gives a general sense of which states are donor states: Donor States Giving Until it Hurts (http://rockproducts.com/mag/rock_donor_states_giving/ - broken link)
The only argument you see an Angeleno ever come up with is "we rule, you drool" crap. Other than that, they have no facts to prove me wrong with. What could I possibly be proven wrong upon? LA is more diverse than NYC? No. LA is denser than NYC? No. LA is livelier than NYC? No. LA has better public transportation than NYC? No. LA has more loyal sports fans than NYC? No. What else? What could an Angeleno possibly prove me wrong with? Nothing.

Thank you for posting your first piece of factual information. Since you provided information on "donor states," I will shut the **** up with that... But regarding everything else, my mouth is foaming... Do I have rabies?

PS I lied... I have a few more things to say about donor states. Donor states are the only states who bring money to the table? Do you really want to play that game? New Jersey mops the floor with California. You think you have it bad? New Jersey is the manufacturing capital of the country... But they get ripped off by the government every time. They are suffering the most. Quit whining... After all, we all know you can do it yourself. You don't need the East Coast's big fat checks. Set up a lemonade stand to build your public transportation. New York has its own problems to deal with upstate with Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Rochester, Syracuse, Newburgh, Plattsburgh, etc. The last thing we need to do is to provide money for your trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top