U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:00 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,574,575 times

Advertisements

Dang, that last one is so gritty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 01:49 PM

15,031 posts, read 31,400,710 times
Hmm, I don't really identify with any of these labels. In my town we have 7600 people, but the nearest larger city is 50 miles away. We have stores like Super Wal-Mart and several grocery and hardware stores, but we have to drive an hour to go to Home Depot or to the mall. Even though this is a small town, some of the neighborhoods look suburban with houses fairly close together. I live in the outer edge of town, so my yard is 4 acres, but I am still within the city limits so I don't consider myself rural. To be truly "rural" IMO you would have to depend on the county for police and fire protection, but I don't, I get city services. It's almost like we are suburban, but without the urban part being anywhere near us.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 176,863 times
Default indeed, definitions can be subjective

The classification is based on which government agency is using it (some define the terms differently).

Usually there are some or all of three key factors considered: population density (people per square mile), distance from nearest city, and/or size of the nearest city (urban and suburban areas extend farther for larger cities).

Early on, the Department of Defense had established the following designations for a ZIP Code:
- Urban: 3,000+ persons per square mile
- Suburban: 1,000 ‐ 3,000 persons per square mile
- Rural: less than 1,000 persons per square mile

Data for marketing and other uses should factor additional information such as population of adjoining city and distance from nearest major city, etc because a lightly populated ZIP Code joining a major metropolitan area might be classified as “Rural” based on population counts alone.

Source: [url=http://greatdata.com/rural-urban-data]Rural, Urban, Suburban ZIP| Rural Urban Continuum[/url] (see more detail tab at top)
[url]http://greatdata.com[/url]

Old 02-18-2013, 10:14 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,040,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Hmm, I don't really identify with any of these labels. In my town we have 7600 people, but the nearest larger city is 50 miles away. We have stores like Super Wal-Mart and several grocery and hardware stores, but we have to drive an hour to go to Home Depot or to the mall. Even though this is a small town, some of the neighborhoods look suburban with houses fairly close together. I live in the outer edge of town, so my yard is 4 acres, but I am still within the city limits so I don't consider myself rural. To be truly "rural" IMO you would have to depend on the county for police and fire protection, but I don't, I get city services. It's almost like we are suburban, but without the urban part being anywhere near us.
Yeah, I don't think these labels fit everyone. The town I live in has a pop. density of 124/sq. mi, but is less than an hour away from Chicago and has a Walmart, strip malls, suburban subdivisions, and a fairly urban core (for a city < 15,000)

Old 09-04-2014, 10:11 AM

8,199 posts, read 6,131,673 times
Anything but urban. Can't stand most urbanites.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:14 AM

10,558 posts, read 13,124,167 times
Urban then rural. The in between is gross and depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or