U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 06:26 PM

11 posts, read 35,884 times

Advertisements

Which of these cities are good place to live without a car, Denver or Dallas? I know that both have bus and rail. Which system is more extensive and reliable? Thanks!

Last edited by estlkwdhgguy; 10-02-2008 at 06:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 06:30 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Denver would be doable, and you can even get to the mountains on the bus. You might feel a bit isolated though, depending on the bus schedule all the time.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:36 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,985,405 times
Is it doable? Yes

Is it recommended? No

Dallas/Dever is very spread out and traveling without a car would be a task that would ware you down, eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estlkwdhgguy View Post
Which of these cities are good place to live without a car, Denver or Dallas? I know that both have bus and rail,

Old 10-02-2008, 06:45 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,288,042 times
More people use Denver's PT. 7.44% of the population uses it. Dallas isn't in the top fifty for percent of population using PT so I'm not sure how much of the population uses it. I imagine it is around 5%. Neither city is great for using PT, but I have used Denver's before and it is ok but won't take you everywhere.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:57 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,714,632 times
Only problem with Denver is when it snows-- not having a car and waiting at bus stops will not be very fun. The sidewalks and bus stops do not always get plowed after a snow storm-- sometimes the plows even dump the snow onto the sidewalk. I've seen bus riders have to wade knee deep through the muck just to get to the bus. Not a pretty sight.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:24 PM

2,478 posts, read 4,867,202 times
I just moved from Dallas in August. The last 9 months there I did not have a car because I wrecked mine. Let me tell you, I do not recommend it. The mass transit in Dallas isn't very good. Plenty of Texans will tell you other wise but take it from me, someone who had to use the system, it's not. I've been to Denver but can't comment on living there without a car. As for Dallas, if I were you, I wouldn't do it.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:50 AM

905 posts, read 2,581,783 times
I've never been to either, but from what I understand, Denver seems to have better public transit. That said, I'm not sure you'd want to try it in either city.

Cities where car-free living is possible - New York, Chicago, SF, DC, Boston, maybe Philly. You might be able to get by in a few other places if you live in a central location near major transit routes. That's really it.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:06 AM

11 posts, read 35,884 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks folks! I have lived that way, years ago in the 1990's Here in So Cal without a car Its not easy to do. I wondered about the bus and trains services in these communities. Chicago, New York, San Francisco; DC,Boston, Philadelphia, Aren't these cities expensive?

Old 10-06-2008, 01:11 AM

6,961 posts, read 14,091,290 times
^^Surprisingly, Philly is not that expensive.

My suggestion is that you live in a city with an amazing downtown so that you don't need to go out to suburbs or into the city from them. Downtown Portland, OR is pretty good for that. The city is a little expensive, but not bad.

If you want Denver or Dallas, Denver is the definite winner. Make sure to live downtown as you will be able to walk more places and not need to rely on PT so much. Also, most cities' downtowns are the PT hub so you will have more rail and bus lines to choose from, but IDK anything about that subject in Denver.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:44 AM

905 posts, read 2,581,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by estlkwdhgguy View Post
Thanks folks! I have lived that way, years ago in the 1990's Here in So Cal without a car Its not easy to do. I wondered about the bus and trains services in these communities. Chicago, New York, San Francisco; DC,Boston, Philadelphia, Aren't these cities expensive?
Philly isn't expensive at all, and Chicago's not so bad, especially compared with SoCal.

New York has the best overall transit system by far. Chicago's is probably second - though the DC metro is a bit better than the 'L', Chicago's system is more comprehensive, including buses and regional rail.

I've lived car-less in Chicago and New York and never had a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or