U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2012, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,620 posts, read 11,668,387 times
Reputation: 6603

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Hardly any Italian influence here in the south (Atlanta area for me). I'd say Italians make up about one to two percent, at maximum.

Most southerners are descendants of English, Scottish, and Scots-Irish, with some Irish, Dutch, and French. A few Germans, but not many.
I'm moving to Atlanta! The women are beautiful down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2012, 08:44 AM
 
2,915 posts, read 3,319,772 times
Reputation: 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Hardly any Italian influence here in the south (Atlanta area for me). I'd say Italians make up about one to two percent, at maximum.

Most southerners are descendants of English, Scottish, and Scots-Irish, with some Irish, Dutch, and French. A few Germans, but not many.
That's a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,620 posts, read 11,668,387 times
Reputation: 6603
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
That's a shame.
Why's it a shame?

It reminds me of a teacher I had in HS who told me a story about when she lived in Iowa for two years (she's 100% Italian). I in the 1970s there were like no Italians out that way and she always got looks because of her dark hair and skin. I guess people in Indiana are more blonde hair and blue eyed but I have no idea as I've never been there. Although my cousins live out there and they're half Korean, half Russian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 9,014,587 times
Reputation: 2542
Maybe it has something to do with more people identifying as "American" rather than historical European ties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 08:52 AM
 
56,593 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Lol yup, I live 10 minutes away from Amsterdam, NY right now. Went to kindergarten at the elementary school there. Nearly everyone is either Italian or Puerto Rican, with some Polish people as well.



Lol I love me some Italian food.
I wouldn't be surprised if Amsterdam is more Polish than Italian, but it is probably close. I know that they have a few Black folks too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 08:54 AM
 
56,593 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Maybe it has something to do with more people identifying as "American" rather than historical European ties.
Not so much in the Northeast due to the relatively recent ties to the places of origin to many that live in the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,620 posts, read 11,668,387 times
Reputation: 6603
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Amsterdam is more Polish than Italian, but it is probably close. I know that they have a few Black folks too.
They have ethnic neighborhoods but the Italians are everywhere. My friend lives in the Polish neighborhood called Pollock Hill (sp?). My aunt however is full Italian and her family stretches to every corner of Amsterdam, as do many others. Puerto Ricans usually have their own sections too. More and more black people are moving here from NYC. Same situation with Schenectady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 AM
 
56,593 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
They have ethnic neighborhoods but the Italians are everywhere. My friend lives in the Polish neighborhood called Pollock Hill (sp?). My aunt however is full Italian and her family stretches to every corner of Amsterdam, as do many others. Puerto Ricans usually have their own sections too. More and more black people are moving here from NYC. Same situation with Schenectady.
I'm not surprised by any of that. Italians are the biggest European ethnic group in NY State. So, they are throughout NY.

Also, Amsterdam had a long Black church that was torn down due to urban renewal in the late 1960's. It was called St. Paul A.M.E. Zion church. So, they've always had a Black community too. Some came from Georgia or were long time Upstate NYers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,620 posts, read 11,668,387 times
Reputation: 6603
Interesting. I never knew that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 07:57 PM
 
711 posts, read 1,288,255 times
Reputation: 234
Interesting thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top