U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:00 PM

711 posts, read 1,288,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I've noticed something strange happening in the Northeast. It seems like the Irish are slowly starting to be the dominant group in some places.
I would say this is true in the Philly-Wilmington Area.

But Irish & Italian Americans have become great allies here in the US.

It's also well known America has more respect for Ireland than the UK.

North East America is the second home of the Irish not Britain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 12:22 PM

38 posts, read 99,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
I would say this is true in the Philly-Wilmington Area.

But Irish & Italian Americans have become great allies here in the US.

It's also well known America has more respect for Ireland than the UK.

North East America is the second home of the Irish not Britain.
However, I would say that Britain has a slightly higher percentage of Irish-descended people than the US as a whole. Cities like Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, and many parts of London were/are heavily populated by Irish immigrants and their descendants. Of course, Ireland has a historical enmity with the UK that it doesn't with America.

Then again, no-one mentioned Britain until you did there, so you were obviously exercising a bit of Anglophobia than making a serious point.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:25 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,318,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Why's it a shame?

It reminds me of a teacher I had in HS who told me a story about when she lived in Iowa for two years (she's 100% Italian). I in the 1970s there were like no Italians out that way and she always got looks because of her dark hair and skin. I guess people in Indiana are more blonde hair and blue eyed but I have no idea as I've never been there. Although my cousins live out there and they're half Korean, half Russian.
A shame that Italian-Americans are not more represented in the South.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:22 PM

350 posts, read 607,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
A shame that Italian-Americans are not more represented in the South.

They're not well represented in the west too and only in urban cities in the Midwest.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:30 PM

9,522 posts, read 9,405,124 times
There is a small community of Italian Americans in northwestern Mississippi and southeastern Arkansas (I am one). Very different from Jersey Shore!

You'll be surprised where Italian Americans turn up!

Italian Americans in the least likely places

Old 08-03-2012, 07:09 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,318,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
There is a small community of Italian Americans in northwestern Mississippi and southeastern Arkansas (I am one). Very different from Jersey Shore!

Actually, most of the idiots from that show are not from NJ, they are from NY. Natives to the Jersey Shore are light years different than what is portrayed on that show.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 AM

9,522 posts, read 9,405,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Actually, most of the idiots from that show are not from NJ, they are from NY. Natives to the Jersey Shore are light years different than what is portrayed on that show.

Acting like an idiot doesn't keep you from laughing all the way to the bank!

Old 08-04-2012, 12:04 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,666,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

Now that's an interesting thread. What brought Italian Americans to New Orleans?

Old 08-04-2012, 03:51 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,354,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Now that's an interesting thread. What brought Italian Americans to New Orleans?
Shipping/Fishing. There was actually a huge incident way back, where the locals rounded up a bunch of Italian laborers and lynched them.

From what I am have seen, Italian Americans are very well intermixed with other ethnicities throughout the Northeast. Hell, back in the 70's/80's, Italian American men used to complain about their women running off to hood up with Robert Redford lookalikes (fair-haired, probably wasps and Irish Americans). There are a good number of blond hair, blue eyed kids with Italian surnames around here as well.

I have noticed though that Asians have a much harder time hookin up with white ethnics in the East, than they do with the whites out west.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:08 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,666,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Shipping/Fishing. There was actually a huge incident way back, where the locals rounded up a bunch of Italian laborers and lynched them.

From what I am have seen, Italian Americans are very well intermixed with other ethnicities throughout the Northeast. Hell, back in the 70's/80's, Italian American men used to complain about their women running off to hood up with Robert Redford lookalikes (fair-haired, probably wasps and Irish Americans). There are a good number of blond hair, blue eyed kids with Italian surnames around here as well.

I have noticed though that Asians have a much harder time hookin up with white ethnics in the East, than they do with the whites out west.
Wow I never knew that! Guess you really do learn something new everyday.

Italian Americans are certainly one of the most intermixed groups in this nation. I have friends who are Italian/Puerto Rican, Italian/Black, and even Italian/Polish/French/Native American.

I'm half Korean and I love Italian women. Born and raised in the northeast and yeah the chances of me getting my wish of a nice, dark skinned Italian woman will never come true, guaranteed.

I've never been out to the western US before though. Perhaps I should figure out where all the hot Italian women are concentrated out there and pack my bags!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.