U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2012, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Orlandooooooo
2,363 posts, read 4,418,223 times
Reputation: 876

Advertisements

Memphis
Birmingham
New Orleans
Atlanta
Charleston S.C.
St. Petersburg FL
Miami FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2012, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Knoxville Tenn
171 posts, read 299,608 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I would just like to say that New Orleans gets a lot of bad press for its murder rate but when you look at cities for their rate of violent crime, New Orleans actually rates kind of low/doesnt even make the top 25. And most people are not likely to be murdered unless you like to deal drugs and are a criminal.


When you say violent crimes, are you meaning assaults, robberies, etc.? Just wondering. Just find it odd that the N.O. Is notorious for being one of the more violent cities in the nation if their murder rate is over-blown as well as violent crimes.

As for the drug dealing part...I COMPLETELY agree! Deal drugs and run the streets, there's a good chance trouble will find you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2012, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Knoxville Tenn
171 posts, read 299,608 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
No, St. Louis is the Midwest...so is Missouri overall.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
797 posts, read 1,159,025 times
Reputation: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRollin View Post
When you say violent crimes, are you meaning assaults, robberies, etc.? Just wondering. Just find it odd that the N.O. Is notorious for being one of the more violent cities in the nation if their murder rate is over-blown as well as violent crimes.

As for the drug dealing part...I COMPLETELY agree! Deal drugs and run the streets, there's a good chance trouble will find you.
Violent crime includes murder but I was also surprised when I saw this too.
Drugs are bad.

Top 25 Cities By Violent Crime Rate, FBI data released this week
That data is from the FBI.

Overall violent crime in New Orleans is less than in Orlando, federal figures show | NOLA.com
This is New Orleans' main Newspaper website.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Just press violent crime label twice and it will put it in order from greatest to least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Knoxville Tenn
171 posts, read 299,608 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Violent crime includes murder but I was also surprised when I saw this too.
Drugs are bad.

Top 25 Cities By Violent Crime Rate, FBI data released this week
That data is from the FBI.

Overall violent crime in New Orleans is less than in Orlando, federal figures show | NOLA.com
This is New Orleans' main Newspaper website.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Just press violent crime label twice and it will put it in order from greatest to least.
WOW! Nice link. LOL, poor ole Memphis. That place been nuts for years. Still a great town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 PM
 
781 posts, read 1,094,116 times
Reputation: 609
Memphis, New Orleans, Richmond/Petersburg Va, Louisville KY and Miami alot of the other cities being mentioned are so big or sprawed out you can easily avoid or never see crime going on despite what some of the numbers say. I used to live in a city with just 240,000 ppl within only 50sq/mi it was very hard to avoid bad neighborhoods.

Last edited by Diff1; 04-26-2012 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 PM
 
2,070 posts, read 1,590,860 times
Reputation: 3348
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
This is BS. It sound sounds good and went uncontested in this thread, but it's not exactly an accurate explanation or excuse for why urbanized blacks are so violent. It is true that there are many rural and small-town black communities in the South that are tame because they are spread out, lack economic engines to fuel illegal economic activities, everybody's related, inability to disappear into the crowded population, etc. And it is true that the more urbanized blacks are, the more violence will be present. You can see that sort of stair-stepping in small- to mid-sized towns like Muskogee, OK, and Fort Smith, Ark., and Topeka, KS. All of which are known for a higher violent crime rates, as compared to towns without a significant black population that are similarly sized. But the biggest problem with the idea urbanization causes blacks to be violent is that poor whites similarly urbanized are not violent. If poor whites were as violent, Springfield, MO, for example, would rival Little Rock in crime, especially violent crime, and it simply doesn't because whites aren't that violent!
Springfield, Missouri and urbanized should never, ever under any circumstances be mentioned in the same sentence together....ever..Little Rock just narrowly qualifies, but its a heck of a lot closer to urbanization than Springfield. As an aside, while Springfield may not qualify as the murder capital it certainly is the meth capital/birthplace of meth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 03:24 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,497,427 times
Reputation: 2574
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Springfield, Missouri and urbanized should never, ever under any circumstances be mentioned in the same sentence together....ever..Little Rock just narrowly qualifies, but its a heck of a lot closer to urbanization than Springfield. As an aside, while Springfield may not qualify as the murder capital it certainly is the meth capital/birthplace of meth.
Springfield is an urbanized area and a city, whether you like it or not. The point is, there is a large population of socio-economically disdavantaged folks living in close-together small, older housing along a vast network of gridded streets. The only difference being those folks are vast majority white, which is unusual for such a large city. Topeka is an urbanized area and a city - and it's half the size of Springfield in terms of MSA population and significant smaller in city population as well. Yet Topeka's crime is significantly worse than Springfield's! The difference is the composition of the population. Okay, so you mentioned meth being a problem in Springfield? I don't doubt that, but even with that problem (illegal drug trade) you're not seeing the violent crime (especially homicide, the ultimate) that you see in cities with significant black populations. If that doesn't say something, I don't know what does. Oh, and crack was born in urban, black inner cities - how did that go over? If inner-city Springfield were black, this were the 1980s, and it was crack instead of meth, do you believe it would be as tame?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 PM
 
2,070 posts, read 1,590,860 times
Reputation: 3348
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Springfield is an urbanized area and a city, whether you like it or not. The point is, there is a large population of socio-economically disdavantaged folks living in close-together small, older housing along a vast network of gridded streets. The only difference being those folks are vast majority white, which is unusual for such a large city. Topeka is an urbanized area and a city - and it's half the size of Springfield in terms of MSA population and significant smaller in city population as well. Yet Topeka's crime is significantly worse than Springfield's! The difference is the composition of the population. Okay, so you mentioned meth being a problem in Springfield? I don't doubt that, but even with that problem (illegal drug trade) you're not seeing the violent crime (especially homicide, the ultimate) that you see in cities with significant black populations. If that doesn't say something, I don't know what does. Oh, and crack was born in urban, black inner cities - how did that go over? If inner-city Springfield were black, this were the 1980s, and it was crack instead of meth, do you believe it would be as tame?

A) Springfield is a quiet country town in the middle of nowhere.

B) Crack was introduced to urban communities by a government run by whites.

C) The methods used to make crack are quite different than the laboratory space and chemicals needed to make meth. Meth couldnt be an urban phenomenon if its makers tried, due to the amount of chemicals and lab space that it takes to make meth. Thats why you'll notice that police bust meth labs rather than meth houses, and crack houses rather than crack labs.

D) Truthfully, with the power imbalance and amount of entitlements that whites have been afforded throughout this country's history up to present, that there are any white criminals at all should be grounds for public outcry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2014, 10:27 PM
 
Location: NorCal by way of L.A. and Atlanta
96 posts, read 102,922 times
Reputation: 83
Here is my list:

Memphis
Atlanta
New Orleans
Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top