U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 01:26 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,451,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
uh huh. what "town" was this?

This was in Portales and Aztec New Mexico,Im from one shes from the other. They are really both safe towns and probably some of the more safer in New Mexico but all the things I listed was things that had happened to me or my girlfriend while living in those towns over the years,Im 28 also so its not like its been decades and decades ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 10:23 AM

10,396 posts, read 19,409,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickmystir700 View Post
Houston and Dallas are hardly dangerous, both thier crime rates are fairly low.
Is that before or after Houston inherited so many transplants from New Orleans after Katrina?

Old 10-07-2008, 10:34 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,282,796 times
Are we disregarding danger due to motor vehicle accidents? In many/most cases, your risk of injury/death by MVA is significantly higher than your risk of being an innocent bystander victim of homicide. (No doubt participants in the drug trade have a higher risk of homicide, but this is an avoidable risk.)

Contrary to popular belief, exurbs more dangerous than cities

Old 10-07-2008, 02:15 PM

3,133 posts, read 8,332,290 times
New Orleans
Orlando
Jackson
---
Birmingham
Little Rock

Old 10-08-2008, 08:07 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,320,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
If it is poverty, then why do the areas of Eastern Kentucky, home to some of the highest poverty, but white, have low crime rates?
The difference is location. Many poor blacks are located in high-density urban neighborhoods where the poverty is of a concentrated nature. Eastern Kentucky is low-density, dispersed, and rural. As former Albuquerque mayor David Rusk said in his book Inside Game, Outside Game, "Living in poverty is tough enough for any household, regardless of race. For the great majority of poor whites, however, poverty is an individual household condition. Most poor whites are not surrounded by other poor people. For most poor blacks, and, to a lesser degree, for poor Hispanics, poverty is a communal crisis, as well as an individual hardship."

Old 10-17-2008, 11:46 AM

336 posts, read 647,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The difference is location. Many poor blacks are located in high-density urban neighborhoods where the poverty is of a concentrated nature. Eastern Kentucky is low-density, dispersed, and rural. As former Albuquerque mayor David Rusk said in his book Inside Game, Outside Game, "Living in poverty is tough enough for any household, regardless of race. For the great majority of poor whites, however, poverty is an individual household condition. Most poor whites are not surrounded by other poor people. For most poor blacks, and, to a lesser degree, for poor Hispanics, poverty is a communal crisis, as well as an individual hardship."
Interesting point. Also, I suspect that the networks, family and otherwise present in certain areas/regions more than in other places.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:14 PM

47,975 posts, read 45,435,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2theUS View Post
I thought Moscow would be the murder capital of Europe. I hear Moscow is utterly violent.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:17 PM

47,975 posts, read 45,435,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I have never heard of it that way. I knew that had to be alot of complicated factors.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:03 PM

880 posts, read 2,529,128 times
Atlanta, New Orleans, and Memphis

Old 05-20-2010, 06:21 PM

132 posts, read 340,816 times
gLASGOW ISNT DANGEROUS 83mURDERS WITH 580,000 in the city, look at Memphis with 660,000 and 163Murders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.