U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:30 PM

659 posts, read 1,193,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
True. However, don't take those rates for granted. New York's crime rate is also low. But you can't just walk through the Bronx or through some areas in Brooklyn so freely just because you are "from" a city that has a higher crime rate. Same with Houston and Dallas. You're not going to walk through Oak Cliff or Acres Homes and think you run things. Not gonna happen.
Yeah but why would you even consider going to Aces Homes for example? That's hardly indicative of crime in Greater Houston. Let me put it this way. I have lived in central Houston since 1995 and have never witnessed any criminal activity. Lived in Dallas for about 10 years and only saw some petty stuff. Just a tip: be smart and carry the heat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 10:27 PM

14 posts, read 32,723 times
Considering the top southern states that consistently get ranked for highest crime in the us are- South Carolina, Louisiana, Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, Arkansas, and Maryland also ranks in the top states for crime, so if we were to go by the Census definition of the south there is a lot to choose from in terms of high crime area's so take your pick.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,237,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Whoa, Memphis is bad? I often think about going there.
I would say so, yes. A&E did a TV show called "The First 48", and Memphis was one of the primary cities featured on it. So was Miami. I would bet you have to be a pretty dangerous city in order to be selected for a crime show in which multiple seasons are aired.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:24 PM

74 posts, read 204,945 times
Top 5 Cities In The South That You Are Most Likely To Be Mugged In:
1. Miami
2. New Orleans
3. Atlanta
4. Birmingham
5. Memphis

Old 03-05-2012, 09:32 PM

14,157 posts, read 19,808,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souths_Finest205 View Post
Top 5 Cities In The South That You Are Most Likely To Be Mugged In:
1. Miami
2. New Orleans
3. Atlanta
4. Birmingham
5. Memphis
Forgot Houston.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 PM

18,659 posts, read 27,118,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Forgot Houston.
No he didnt. As he said top five.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:36 PM

18,659 posts, read 27,118,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han$ome Texan View Post
its been a well kept secret that san antonio and houston crime was actually hihger than dallas and that both cities can rival new orleans and detroit in crime but of course they are gonna play it off safe so more people can continue to move to both cities both cities are run by the cartel and mafia not to mention gangs
100% false. I dont know where to begin.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:06 PM

177 posts, read 211,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I would say so, yes. A&E did a TV show called "The First 48", and Memphis was one of the primary cities featured on it. So was Miami. I would bet you have to be a pretty dangerous city in order to be selected for a crime show in which multiple seasons are aired.
and so was houston (most of harris county)

Old 03-07-2012, 07:08 PM

177 posts, read 211,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
100% false. I dont know where to begin.
its was an article that claim san antonio and especially houston undereports crime you do know houston was the murder capitol in the early 80s i can show a link for proof god bless

Old 03-08-2012, 09:37 AM

469 posts, read 828,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Memphis was there alright, but the vast majority of the TV drama was simmering in those unfortunate lowest socio-economic neighborhoods where you don't go as a visitor. You were cranked back in your recliner enjoying the misery of those who had fallen through the cracks. The poster who concocted the list of cities where you were "most likely to be mugged" in which he included Memphis most likely never experienced that himself or if he did he was in an area he probably shouldn't have been. Those of us who've worked and walked the streets of Memphis for decades along side tens of thousands of tourists and never witnessed a violent crime don't recognize this categorization as reality.
St. Louis has the same scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.