U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 03:40 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,756,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanityRules View Post
Los Angeles isn't the gang capital anymore, get with the times. It's Chicago now as of 2000-2008.
No actually I heard on a television show called gangland on the history channel that LA was still the gang capital of the world. The largest and most ruthless gang in the US right now was started in LA MS-13. But Chicago is right up there behind LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 04:30 PM

2,958 posts, read 5,664,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Yeah chicago has passed LA as far as gangs. What is really scary is that Chicago politicians are the most ruthless gang there

On the topic though, LA has improved in the last decade as has Oakland in the crime department. I am seeing though that San Fran is getting to be pretty high in the crime rates though
Well Chicago and LA are comparable, but my point was simply that danger exists on the West Coast, nothing more. If y'all wanna split hairs and say that in a recent year LA was bumped to 2nd, be my guest. LA still has an insane gang issue that is no joke.

As for Oakland, what decade are you living in? It had been improving in the crime department until 2002 when it spiked back up to about 108 murders (just speaking on homicide) and in 2006 it jumped back up to 145 murders which was the highest it had been since the mid-90s. So I don't know where you're getting your information, but for 2007 (the most recent year crime stats are available right now) its ranked the 5th most dangerous city in the nation (while its neighbor Richmond is currently ranked the 9th), and in 2006 it was ranked 4th. So what are you talking about???

Old 12-17-2008, 04:43 PM

32,348 posts, read 55,157,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
As for Oakland, what decade are you living in? It had been improving in the crime department until 2002 when it spiked back up to about 108 murders (just speaking on homicide) and in 2006 it jumped back up to 145 murders which was the highest it had been since the mid-90s. So I don't know where you're getting your information, but for 2007 (the most recent year crime stats are available right now) its ranked the 5th most dangerous city in the nation (while its neighbor Richmond is currently ranked the 9th), and in 2006 it was ranked 4th. So what are you talking about???
Technically Oakland is better because now its 5th, not 4th. Not really something to celebrate-granted.

Also, Richmond is not Oakland's neighbor-it is more Berkeley's.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:06 AM

3,669 posts, read 8,841,708 times
Quote:
Los Angeles isn't the gang capital anymore, get with the times. It's Chicago now as of 2000-2008.
Actually Atlanta could compete for that title. Especially in the last 2-3 years.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Technically Oakland is better because now its 5th, not 4th. Not really something to celebrate-granted.

Also, Richmond is not Oakland's neighbor-it is more Berkeley's.
Whats up with people wanting to split hairs so badly on here? Okay, so Oakland did improve by an extremely narrow margin from '06 to '07. Cool. My point was that "in the past decade" it has not improved, which is absolutely correct. It has more crime now than it did in 1998. Okay? Have I covered all my bases, or am I required to mention that it went up to 114 in 2003 and dropped back below 100 in 2004 before jumping back up again??? Just take my point already. I'm not knocking Oakland or anything, I'm just responding with what's relevant to what was previously said.

And to folks in other parts of the Bay, like me, Richmond IS Oakland's neighbor exactly the same way South SF is a neighbor of SF or Sunnyvale is a neighbor of SJ. Again you're splitting hairs. I didn't say it borders it; I just used to term "neighbor" b/c they're like 10 minutes apart. Oakland-Berkeley-Albany-Richmond - if you don't consider them neighbors then fine. I do. My point was that they're near each other. Should I really have to go to this much trouble to clarify everything I say? If so I hope you apply that same standard to yourself and everyone else on here that says anything w/o including excessive detail. Man!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:59 PM

217 posts, read 235,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
No actually I heard on a television show called gangland on the history channel that LA was still the gang capital of the world. The largest and most ruthless gang in the US right now was started in LA MS-13. But Chicago is right up there behind LA.

I saw that episode and it didn't say anything about L.A. being gang capitol of the world. Yeah they talked about the bloods and the crips and the pact some city activist try to do to settle the conflict between the two gangs, but I never saw were it said what you said. Maybe I am mistaken.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I saw that episode and it didn't say anything about L.A. being gang capitol of the world. Yeah they talked about the bloods and the crips and the pact some city activist try to do to settle the conflict between the two gangs, but I never saw were it said what you said. Maybe I am mistaken.
I think its all a matter of opinion between the two really. There's no actual gang member census that can confirm or deny which truly has the most, and I've always viewed both as being on a similar level - which is why I didn't argue when you disagreed with me. But I don't feel any other city has as intricate or as dominant a gang culture as these 2 cities. I'd say LA has a bit more influence nationwide since there seems to be more bloods, crips, surenos & ms-13 than there are GD's, Vicelords or Latin Kings across the nation. But again, the 2 cities are comparable when it comes to gang culture and if one surpasses the other its not by very much.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:59 PM

1,435 posts, read 3,579,384 times
Malibu is straight up is the most thugged out gangsta city on the Westcoast. Even Suge Knight is too scared to step foot in that hood because the gangbangers in Malibu got a bounty on his a.s.s.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:53 AM

3,669 posts, read 8,841,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Malibu is straight up is the most thugged out gangsta city on the Westcoast. Even Suge Knight is too scared to step foot in that hood because the gangbangers in Malibu got a bounty on his a.s.s.
Oh yeah, I've seen Malibu's Most Wanted, lol.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:48 AM

32,348 posts, read 55,157,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Whats up with people wanting to split hairs so badly on here?
Its what I do.

Quote:
Okay, so Oakland did improve by an extremely narrow margin from '06 to '07. Cool.
Going from 4th to 5th on this ranking is not really something to brag about but it technically is improvement.

Quote:
My point was that "in the past decade" it has not improved, which is absolutely correct. It has more crime now than it did in 1998. Okay?
Actually the rest of the nation, Oakland has saw a dip in the late 90s due to the economic boom and since then, crime in Oakland's high crime areas have seen a spike in crime. This has happened in other places as well.

Quote:
Have I covered all my bases, or am I required to mention that it went up to 114 in 2003 and dropped back below 100 in 2004 before jumping back up again???
You mean the homicide rate fluctuates?

Quote:
And to folks in other parts of the Bay, like me, Richmond IS Oakland's neighbor exactly the same way South SF is a neighbor of SF or Sunnyvale is a neighbor of SJ. Again you're splitting hairs.
Ah yes, those 'folks in other parts of the Bay'. I keep forgetting that their opinion on Oakland and Richmond is more important and valid than the opinions of Oaklanders and Richmonders themselves. What was I thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or