U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 01:21 PM

2,958 posts, read 5,670,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ah yes, those 'folks in other parts of the Bay'. I keep forgetting that their opinion on Oakland and Richmond is more important and valid than the opinions of Oaklanders and Richmonders themselves. What was I thinking?
Good, I'm glad you realized your error. Next time know your role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 02:28 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,595,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
No actually I heard on a television show called gangland on the history channel that LA was still the gang capital of the world. The largest and most ruthless gang in the US right now was started in LA MS-13. But Chicago is right up there behind LA.
Chicago has an amazing amount of gang history. The Italian Mafia in Chicago has always been even more ruthless than the New York Mob (You might have heard of one of their old leaders Al Capone) and the Irish Mob there gave the Italians a good run for their money.

In addition to the Mobs Chicago has always had countless street gangs many of which expanded to other cities. A member of the Chicago gang the Black P. Stones Moved to L.A. at a young age and started the Bloods. A member of a Chicago Hispanic gang moved to New York where his Latin Kings went on to become the biggest most brutal gang in NYC. and a nationwide force. The Folks gang originally of Chicago is also seen all over America.

Chicago was crawling with gangs a 100 years ago and is still bad today.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:51 PM

23 posts, read 130,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Chicago has an amazing amount of gang history. The Italian Mafia in Chicago has always been even more ruthless than the New York Mob (You might have heard of one of their old leaders Al Capone) and the Irish Mob there gave the Italians a good run for their money.

In addition to the Mobs Chicago has always had countless street gangs many of which expanded to other cities. A member of the Chicago gang the Black P. Stones Moved to L.A. at a young age and started the Bloods. A member of a Chicago Hispanic gang moved to New York where his Latin Kings went on to become the biggest most brutal gang in NYC. and a nationwide force. The Folks gang originally of Chicago is also seen all over America.

Chicago was crawling with gangs a 100 years ago and is still bad today.
if your talking about black p stone bloods
T rodger didn't start the bloods t Rodgers just started the black p stone in L.A
in eventually joined the bloods
ain't no Chicago based gangs in L.A for that matter

Old 08-24-2010, 06:53 PM

55,697 posts, read 74,699,564 times
gota say the time of day matters. i would say hunters point 3am san francisco.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 967 times
you guys are basing everything off of statistics. rather big or small, concentrated or vastly spread out, a ghetto is the ghetto. In terms of the bay area, SF is a great city, but its problems are overlooked and as a result, intensify. its condensed pockets of severe poverty are forced to living at a rate set by the extreme upper class that surrounds them. Oakland takes all the baggage in news headlines to keep SF's real estate at its best. In Oakland's case, its reputation of being a so bad has actually turned that into the case—such a slogan fails to include the good things that oakland has going on. Those good and unique qualities suffer because no one wants part of it (those who live on the 'outside'). For the bay area over all, its the suburbs that are getting bad because no one can afford to live in the inner city anymore. Fairfield, Concord, Vallejo, Pitsburgh, Hayward, and Daly City have seen the flux of that. i have grown up in the east bay and san francisco, have suffered tragedies in both— and have been deeply dedicated to communities and worked in public schools in both Oakland, Emeryville, and San francisco in multiple neighborhoods, due to some pretty radically life changing events in my youthhood. i cannot imagine that La is more different there is just more area that it covers.

I cannot speak about LA cause i never visited or lived there, and will not even begin to compare my experience to something that i haven't. statistics are fine in terms of foundation of understanding, but they completely leave out the complexity that exists in what generates them. and scholarly writing can never sum up a perfect theory to explain that. scholarly writing is an informed and informs, but it can never summarize the constantly changing politics on the street

its bad if its bad. there is no "worst" place. and that means many different things to places and people.

my perspective is severely flawed though. it is bias on my own perception and experience. i do not "intend" to know everything about everything. i thought this conversation could use a little splash of that. how many other people on here are talking from first hand experience? i think that that is the true conversation.... hope this was enlightening.

Last edited by didntknowineededone; 05-31-2011 at 09:33 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,673,478 times
Oakland/Richmond..

Old 06-01-2011, 12:34 AM

32,397 posts, read 55,240,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didntknowineededone View Post
you guys are basing everything off of statistics. rather big or small, concentrated or vastly spread out, a ghetto is the ghetto. In terms of the bay area, SF is a great city, but its problems are overlooked and as a result, intensify. its condensed pockets of severe poverty are forced to living at a rate set by the extreme upper class that surrounds them. Oakland takes all the baggage in news headlines to keep SF's real estate at its best. In Oakland's case, its reputation of being a so bad has actually turned that into the case—such a slogan fails to include the good things that oakland has going on. Those good and unique qualities suffer because no one wants part of it (those who live on the 'outside'). For the bay area over all, its the suburbs that are getting bad because no one can afford to live in the inner city anymore. Fairfield, Concord, Vallejo, Pitsburgh, Hayward, and Daly City have seen the flux of that. i have grown up in the east bay and san francisco, have suffered tragedies in both— and have been deeply dedicated to communities and worked in public schools in both Oakland, Emeryville, and San francisco in multiple neighborhoods, due to some pretty radically life changing events in my youthhood. i cannot imagine that La is more different there is just more area that it covers.

I cannot speak about LA cause i never visited or lived there, and will not even begin to compare my experience to something that i haven't. statistics are fine in terms of foundation of understanding, but they completely leave out the complexity that exists in what generates them. and scholarly writing can never sum up a perfect theory to explain that. scholarly writing is an informed and informs, but it can never summarize the constantly changing politics on the street

its bad if its bad. there is no "worst" place. and that means many different things to places and people.

my perspective is severely flawed though. it is bias on my own perception and experience. i do not "intend" to know everything about everything. i thought this conversation could use a little splash of that. how many other people on here are talking from first hand experience? i think that that is the true conversation.... hope this was enlightening.
Thanks for the enlightened opinion.

On Oakland.

We have a little vindication because the Oakland Hills'(Pop 118,000) was recently named one of the places in highest standards of living in California--scoring the same range as famed places as Newport Beach and Bel Air.

That was super cool cause it really does validate what many of us have been saying for years--that Oakland is more than its crime rate.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:22 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,676,440 times
What always strikes me when reading about bad neighborhoods, is that for some strange reason they are often situated in the eastern parts of the city.

You know: East L.A., East London, East St-Louis, East New York, East Palo Alto,...

Wonder why that is.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 AM

121 posts, read 249,959 times
I like how people say Midwest,South, NE, and West coast. Dont forget people that there are other states in the West, its not just West Coast.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 3,442,316 times
Default boredatwork

Ppl on here make SF sound like the worst thing since Iraq
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or