U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2008, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,320 posts, read 55,123,408 times
Reputation: 15392

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Richmond, CA is one of the worst in the country.
Richmond doesnt feel hopeless and many of Oakland's less desirable areas still have economic vibrancy. Its not uncommon to see wealthy people and upwardly mobile people in the hood. Actually living there. Of all races.

I see that in NY and LA too. Yes there is poverty and crime, but that's not all. Lots of people choose to live there cause they have a sense of community.

Most people who arent familiar with these kinds of areas probably wouldnt understand.

Anybody else know what Im talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2008, 04:24 PM
hsw
 
2,144 posts, read 6,348,158 times
Reputation: 1517
Crime rates will likely change significantly in next 2-3 yrs w/a worsening economy and decreased tax revenues, meaning cities will cut back police forces....and, I suspect, affluent, well-guarded suburbs will be preferred by many over upscale urban settings...

Part of why many affluent in LA prefer BeverlyHills over rest of Westside is added layer of protection of a well-guarded, capitalist town, when instability like early '90s LA riots recurs....

Part of why many prefer to live in Orinda, etc, not Piedmont, is to have a mountain protecting them from the instability of the Oakland 80/880 crime corridor....

PaloAlto is one of least safe affluent suburbs in US....affluent areas of SF (a socialist town w/keystone cops), like PacificHts, arguably have fewer brazen daytime/evening robberies/assaults than PA....PA is, like SF, simply a favored socialist suburb of SiliconValley for "Prius-driving/Gulfstream-flying socialists"....

Over past 5yrs, many of the super-affluent of Atherton have already moved/are moving to newly-built estates in Woodside to move further from the 101 crime corridor....

Common sense suggests proximity to poverty is always risky, esp w/o a vigilant, aggressive local police dept (funded by affluent, local taxpayers) that "screens" out those who have no legitimate reason to be driving/walking around the area....

Most affluent prefer to live in areas where law-abiding, major taxpayers are protected from harm....many in slums don't pay taxes anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2008, 05:48 PM
 
1,687 posts, read 5,378,338 times
Reputation: 815
Too many people are basing things on perceptions or only one factor.
Because of the variations between cities we need to adjust for population size and include crimes such as rape, assault, etc.

Lets rank the list so far by city-data.com crime index rates (low to high) for 2007. I'll also include some other cities to give relative comparison. The city-data index US average is around 320 as another comparison.

BOISE 261.3
Pasadena 298.9
city-data.com says US AVERAGE CRIME RATE IS HERE
Pittsburg 350.5
Moreno Valley 354.6
Los Angeles 356.6
Long Beach 361.8
Palmdale 365.4
Riverside 370.9
Carson 390.9
COLORADO SPRINGS 397.6
Gardena 405.2
DENVER 409.6
Fresno 421.6
Inglewood 422.3
RENO 427.9
SEATTLE 470.3
Lancaster 488.7
PORTLAND 497.3
San Francisco 501.2
Berkeley 546.6
Vallejo 548.8
ALBUQUERQUE 578.9
San Bernardino 604.1
Sacramento 608.8
Compton 660.9
SALT LAKE CITY 669.9
Stockton 707.4
Richmond 729.0
CLEVELAND 840.6
Oakland 914.6
DETROIT 1061.1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2008, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM - Summerlin, NV
3,436 posts, read 5,980,921 times
Reputation: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oakland is not one dimentional. Yes there is crime, but that doesnt define Oakland to Oaklanders themselves. Statistics cannot truly tell the story of what life there is like because much of the city has very low crime.

This look dangerous to you?


See any gangsters here?


Not exactly crack central.




Yes. This is Oakland


Oakland's location aint bad either.

Sooo your saying looking at pictures are going to prove anything about how safe or dangerous a city is, sorry but for a city its size it has a **** load of crime, i done studies on that city.. not so safe,.. i have even been there, not all the people there are friendly either.

I grew up in a freakin georgous city, with crazy huge homes lots of green and yea paradise it seemed.. and so on.. and it had a really high rate of crime.. what your showing us is pictures.. not stat facts dude.

You know people with the $$$ and huge homes also tend to buy more drugs because the have the money and all that.. so take a moment to realize its a beautiful place with views to die for but the crime facts and stats are the scary part..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2008, 01:08 AM
rah
 
Location: Oakland
3,315 posts, read 8,118,861 times
Reputation: 2508
Here are murder rates per 100,000 residents for some West Coast cities for 2008 so far:

Oakland - 24.1
Richmond - 21.9
San Francisco - 12.2
Sacramento - 8.1
Fresno - 6.6
Los Angeles - 6.5
Portland - 4.7
San Jose - 3.0
San Diego - 2.7

Last edited by rah; 10-06-2008 at 01:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2008, 03:15 AM
 
Location: New England & The Maritimes
2,116 posts, read 4,200,133 times
Reputation: 1114
Fremont and Richmond.

18montclair, we all know the bay is a paradise and all, but **** oakland and ****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2008, 05:49 AM
 
379 posts, read 532,705 times
Reputation: 147
Stockton is pretty dreadful. Only visit if you like thousands of illegal aliens, gang writing all over the place and ugly buildings. You think to yourself it isn't that bad, but then you drive around again and realize it is that bad (again).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2008, 08:40 AM
 
1,687 posts, read 5,378,338 times
Reputation: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Here are murder rates per 100,000 residents for some West Coast cities for 2008 so far:
If those are from the thread on another site, you have to be careful. Some of the data is old which skews the calculations and the comparison.

For example, San Diego and Sacramento are only current through mid to late August, while Fresno is through last week. I know Sacramento and San Diego have had murders in the last 6 weeks which would increase their rates shown.

So its hard to compare the cities using data that covers different dates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2008, 09:38 AM
 
Location: San Diego
100 posts, read 122,080 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Here are murder rates per 100,000 residents for some West Coast cities for 2008 so far:

Oakland - 24.1
Richmond - 21.9
San Francisco - 12.2
Sacramento - 8.1
Fresno - 6.6
Los Angeles - 6.5
Portland - 4.7
San Jose - 3.0
San Diego - 2.7

See Los Angeles isn't that crime ridden!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2008, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,320 posts, read 55,123,408 times
Reputation: 15392
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Sooo your saying looking at pictures are going to prove anything about how safe or dangerous a city is, sorry but for a city its size it has a **** load of crime, i done studies on that city.. not so safe,.. i have even been there, not all the people there are friendly either.

I grew up in a freakin georgous city, with crazy huge homes lots of green and yea paradise it seemed.. and so on.. and it had a really high rate of crime.. what your showing us is pictures.. not stat facts dude.

You know people with the $$$ and huge homes also tend to buy more drugs because the have the money and all that.. so take a moment to realize its a beautiful place with views to die for but the crime facts and stats are the scary part..
But to brand an entire city is quite idiotic, wouldnt you say?

I mean, yes there is crime, but do you honestly think that's all there is to any city? I mean, let's get real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top