Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 10:08 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times

Advertisements

In which states besides West Virginia are nice big houses $30-$50k?
I have been looking on the MLS and realtor website for affordable inexpensive houses. The only thing I can afford here in south Florida is a mobile home in a park with rented lot fees! In north Florida, the land is cheap enough to buy, but houses are still far out of reach. So ill be moving to some other state with reasonable, affordable houses. I havent reserched all the states. Tell me which states are up for consideration. Dont worry about no good jobs there, I probably will start a home business as I can make more and be my own boss.

Looking at the US map, maybe Idaho, Montana, Utah, Kansas, North and South Dakota, Tennessee to name some are as affordable as West Virginia.

Georgia and Texas are affordable, but nowhere near as cheap. I would be looking at a simple small house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 10:46 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,670 times
Our home is 4 bedrooms, an office room and a work out room, built 1910-beautiful hardwood through-out and we have it priced below $50,000. Upstate NY

Old 09-18-2006, 04:20 PM

571 posts, read 2,530,037 times
Look in the upper peninsula of Michigan. You can find houses under $20K! Granted most in that price range are older and in need of some TLC, but they do exist! I know a guy who bought an charming older house in Ironwood (on the Wisconsin border) for about $19K. He put a little work into (paint and that sort of thing, nothing too major) it and it's actually a pretty nice little place now. It was built in the late 1800's and has a lot of beautiful woodwork and "old world" charm. But of course with houses that old you'll want to look closely at the condition of the plumbing, wiring, roof, etc.

As you would expect, though, the economy there is as flat as the real estate market, but they do have some nice tax incentives for new businesses. Might be worth a look for you.

As you mentioned in your original post, you might also want to look at the Dakotas (especially in rural/small town areas). Idaho and Montana aren't cheap anymore...too many West Coast people moving in.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2006, 04:32 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,719 times
Northwestern Pennsylvania in the Meadville,Erie,Oil City area,these too are older homes my family lives in those areas. The homes are nice and alot of home for the price but many may need updated wiring or plumbing.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:34 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Much of Michigan, as well as the UP. Parts of more rural mid-MI you can find houses in that price range quite easily.....here in Flint (not that I'm recommending it) you can find crappy houses in dreadful areas for under 10K and you certainly can find nice larger homes in better areas in your price range. The economy is bad here, it's a buyers' market, foreclosures are at an all time high. Check the "job opportunities in Michigan" thread in the MI forum.
Apart from deserted, rural places like parts of the Northern Plains states, TX/OK prairie (just you and tumbleweeds for about 20 miles) and probably quite a few of the ailing, rust-belt Midwestern cities.

I paid $15K cash for my house in Flint (ick), it was a bank repo. Very nice small house, marginal neighborhood.
I have a friend who bought a mobile home on a humungous lot for $10K about 4 years ago, near Jackson MI. Kind of rural where she is, about 20 minutes to Jackson and an hour from Ann Arbor.

Honestly with the whole country at your feet, I sure wouldn't recommend Michigan! But you asked about cheap real estate...

Old 09-18-2006, 05:08 PM

Yep Usually if they are that cheap theres a reason,economy or maybe crime.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:08 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
Thumbs up Good Topic

Now this is an interesting subject. If I could just find a place that was a bit warmer then those mentioned for under $50,000 then I could buy a home for retirement and have money leftover. That would sure be nice.

I did see that northern Maine has some homes under $50,000. It's just too cold there for my liking.

I wonder why it's just cold places that are cheaper? Not that all cold places are inexpensive.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
The economy is bad here, it's a buyers' market, foreclosures are at an all time high. Check the "job opportunities in Michigan" thread in the MI forum.
Same with NW Pa. the area is fine if you can find a job or if you have the ability to work from home. Alot of the companies have either left the area or downsized. And it is in the snowbelt

Old 09-18-2006, 07:47 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Our home is 4 bedrooms, an office room and a work out room, built 1910-beautiful hardwood through-out and we have it priced below $50,000. Upstate NY
I think you forgot a "0" .

There are smaller towns in Iowa where a nice house runs in the $80,000-$130,00 range but nothing for $50,000 (except a fixer-upper). Why do you need such a cheap home though? Isn't it possible to find a good job and buy an average home (national average home price is around $220,000)? Go to Houston, it's more of a laid-back, thought of as a blue-collar town by Dallas residents, and yet has many high-salary jobs. If you don't mind working in a blue-collar job such as a plumber, oil worker, etc etc, you can command a high salary.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:32 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
I have seen nice houses in KS, NE & IA (and ME & upstate NY but those were already mentioned) for 15k up...They're not fixers, but they are older homes & usually small or have small yards. But not all...Also ND...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlilly
I wonder why it's just cold places that are cheaper?
You're not seriously asking this are you?
Check out weather dot com when they have polls about favorite seasons...
The VAST majority of people prefer summer!!!

MOST people prefer "comfortable", (I guess 40's - 70's) not COLD! (Or HOT - except some of us... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.