U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2008, 09:49 AM

8,521 posts, read 14,000,208 times

Advertisements

I may consider moving to a S. American city during the winter months in Chicago.

If you have done this please chime in. Also, only people that have lived in South America only respond.

I am not looking for people that have visited for a short family vacation.

Thanks, cr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 11:18 AM

32,392 posts, read 55,223,333 times
I live in Sao Paulo and have spent about 6 of the last 10 years there at various times. Now I go back and forth between SP and SF.

Sao Paulo is a megacity with all the problems that accompany that. Crime is sometimes an issue( but its not as bad as used to be) but for my entire 10 years in Brazil, I have never been the victim of a crime, traffic is horrendous( The US has nothing nearly as bad-SP traffic makes LA traffic look pleasant). SP is not known for being a tourist magnet, but a business city where everyone is all about making money and working hard.

Now for the pluses.

Sao Paulo has world class shopping, art, music, theater, restaurants and recreation. There is never a dull moment in Sao Paulo and the city is very diverse. Sao Paulo has more Japanese residents than any city outside of Japan as well as millions of people of German and Italian descent. There are also lots of Arabs, Lebanese and Middle Easterners, and Jews. Oh and SP has millions of Blacks as well as Brazil has more Blacks than any nation except Nigeria. The economy is booming and this is evident in the amount of construction going on in Sao Paulo.

We live in a neighborhood near the heart of town known as Jardins.
http://madeinbrazilmag.com/travel/lojasoscarfreire-4.jpg (broken link)

Im there for work and have lots of close relationships in Sao Paulo, plus I love the place. It might no not be ideal if your looking to 'winter' though as its not a place for rest and relaxation. LOL

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:48 PM

8,521 posts, read 14,000,208 times
18MC, Sao Paulo is a sister city to Chicago.......

I am not looking for rest and relaxation, just a warmer climate. I'll have to do some research on the city as it relates to cost of living. i am sure I can more than afford it. i just need to make sure and also take a few visits.

Also, I d0 not want to move to the tourist attraction cities.

Thanks for the response.

Last edited by Ron.; 10-04-2008 at 02:59 PM..

Old 10-04-2008, 04:30 PM

938 posts, read 3,669,888 times
I'm actually moving to Buenos Aires next year for 3 months, I'll be sure to take tons of pics!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:55 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,201,625 times
I lived in Sao Paulo for four months, Rio de Jainero for 2 months, Quito Ecuador for 1 month, and 3 months traveling around (TEN MONTHS TOTAL) throughout South America.

I loved Sao Paulo, although it is kinda expensive. I liked everywhere in Brazil, and if I were just going to spend time there (I was teaching English and needed a job market for it), but if I just had time and money, I'd choose a Brazilian city on the beach. Maybe Puerto Seguro or Florianapolis or Maceio or somewhere like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.