U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2008, 03:19 PM
 
Location: NH
641 posts, read 2,159,031 times
Reputation: 368

Advertisements

Washington D.C is technically in the south.

And not all of us are like that. As long as people from the south don't come up north and pretend they are better, then there won't be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2008, 03:21 PM
 
1,178 posts, read 3,440,820 times
Reputation: 403
From what I've experienced, I've noticed that the people in different parts of the north are different according to area.

New Englanders: Cold and standoffish, sometimes rude or arrogant.
Pennsylvanians: Generally "down-home" friendly individuals.
Up-State New Yorkers: Generally they have a somewhat stereotypical view of the South, but are generally very friendly and even more "stereotypically southern" at times.
Ohioans & Indianans: Generally friendly, laid-back people.
Illinoisans: Generally friendly. People up in the Chicago area, however, can be somewhat rude or arrogant at times.
Wisconsins: Generally friendly.
North Jersey: Generally friendly, but somewhat stereotypical towards the south.
South Jersey: Friendly. Generally more-laid back, less stereotypical about the South.
New York City: From the people I've met from New York City, many of these individuals are full of themselves, often viewing much of the rest of the country as full of inbred hicks, and often downplaying the contributions of other cities.
Minnesotans: An odd bunch. Somewhat standoffish, somewhat friendly, but often insanely liberal, for no good reason.
Iowans: Generally friendly
Michiganders: Honestly, many of them seem like southerners to me, but without a southern accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2008, 03:26 PM
 
1,178 posts, read 3,440,820 times
Reputation: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
in some sense, they are. cities above the 'mason-dixon' line seem to be much more educated... san francisco, seattle, minneapolis, chicago, D.C., boston, NYC, and many of the smaller new england cities. not to say that they are the best universities in the nation, but all ivy league universities are pretty much in or near new england. northwestern, berkeley, stanford, georgetown, NYU, all non-ivy leagues, are also in the northern half of the USA. the south is not known for its spectacular education... this explains why alabama and mississippi are two of our most uneducated states. in most areas of the midwest, spectacular education isn't the main focus.

in general, education leads to a better quality of life. the northern half of the united states is much more educated then the southern half of the united states, maybe with the exception of southern california, and even SoCal isn't nearly as educated as NorCal
The South ranks lower in education because about thirty percent of its population is black, which generally scores lower on standardized tests, as well as IQ tests.

In terms of southern whites, at least in Georgia, the population outscores whites in other portions of the country on the ACT and other educational measures. This isn't to say that all parts of the South are like this, only that the differences aren't as pronounced when the various differences in demographics are taken into account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2008, 03:30 PM
 
2,506 posts, read 7,757,791 times
Reputation: 828
[quote=Scraper Enthusiast;5548682]as well as IQ tests.
QUOTE]

I can simply not believe that you would dare write something like that. Maybe that is your answer right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2008, 03:33 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,665 posts, read 74,620,384 times
Reputation: 48173
long time ago (1862) north invaded the south took their money schools, land and told them they were trash. been like that ever since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2008, 03:39 PM
 
2,506 posts, read 7,757,791 times
Reputation: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
From what I've experienced, I've noticed that the people in different parts of the north are different according to area.

New Englanders: Cold and standoffish, sometimes rude or arrogant.
Pennsylvanians: Generally "down-home" friendly individuals.
Up-State New Yorkers: Generally they have a somewhat stereotypical view of the South, but are generally very friendly and even more "stereotypically southern" at times.
Ohioans & Indianans: Generally friendly, laid-back people.
Illinoisans: Generally friendly. People up in the Chicago area, however, can be somewhat rude or arrogant at times.
Wisconsins: Generally friendly.
North Jersey: Generally friendly, but somewhat stereotypical towards the south.
South Jersey: Friendly. Generally more-laid back, less stereotypical about the South.
New York City: From the people I've met from New York City, many of these individuals are full of themselves, often viewing much of the rest of the country as full of inbred hicks, and often downplaying the contributions of other cities.
Minnesotans: An odd bunch. Somewhat standoffish, somewhat friendly, but often insanely liberal, for no good reason.
Iowans: Generally friendly
Michiganders: Honestly, many of them seem like southerners to me, but without a southern accent.
It is actually for very good reason. Our "for no good reason" liberalness has created a prosperous state, a sound and entrepreneurial economy and the highest high school graduation rates and highest voter turnout of nearly any state. You get the idea. We actually aren't that liberal ourselves, but are tolerant of most other people. It is the wide-range of people attracted to those ideas that help give us some of the best quality of life in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2008, 03:40 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 4,922,956 times
Reputation: 1114
Jluke65780, not all people from the North think they're better than us. You and I both know that there are some who feel that their way of life is better and the other way around. It's zero logic to believe that all Northerners are stuck up, mean spirited, rude, jerks who live a life to bash others. It seems to me that the Southerners who feel that way already had it in their heads that people from the North are rude jerks (and elitist) so that's what they look for and focus on no matter what. Like Bydand said already, people can say anything on a message board because you're (or your if that's your way) just a faceless name on the screen. Let it go or come back harder (brush up on your comebacks).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2008, 03:47 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,115,139 times
Reputation: 5741
[quote=Minnehahapolitan;5548728]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
as well as IQ tests.
QUOTE]

I can simply not believe that you would dare write something like that. Maybe that is your answer right there.
WHY do you say this? Did Scrapper say something that isn't true?

DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS
That truth should be silent I had almost forgot.


The truth -- and I don't like it anymore than anyone else does -- but it is there, like it or not. Do something about it, rather than get hysterical over what everyone really knows, anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2008, 03:51 PM
 
1,178 posts, read 3,440,820 times
Reputation: 403
[quote=Minnehahapolitan;5548728]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
as well as IQ tests.
QUOTE]

I can simply not believe that you would dare write something like that. Maybe that is your answer right there.
Why can you not believe that I'd write something such as that? It's the truth. The differences in IQ amongst the different races has been well researched. Thus, when one region has a large population of one race that doesn't perform as well, or scores lower on IQ and standardized tests, it's generally going to perform lower on those tests than a region that has fewer individuals of a particular group that performs poorly on such tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2008, 03:56 PM
 
1,071 posts, read 4,018,795 times
Reputation: 265
[quote=TexasReb;5548884]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post

WHY do you say this? Did Scrapper say something that isn't true?

DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS
That truth should be silent I had almost forgot.


The truth -- and I don't like it anymore than anyone else does -- but it is there, like it or not. Do something about it, rather than get hysterical over what everyone really knows, anyway...
sorry, we all forgot that blacks are magically less intelligent than whites due to their high levels of melanin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top