U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:33 PM

835 posts, read 2,084,099 times

Advertisements

I doubt black folks are any more stupid or smarter than anybody else. The lower test scores on IQ tests, etc. is has to do with social and economic factors. Some teachers unfortunately don't hold them to as high of standards so they have no reason to try. It works the same with white kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 11:01 PM

15,004 posts, read 31,375,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I think the perception of northerners as looking down on southerners has at least 2 components.

One, there may some truth that many northerners really do in some ways think their cultural attitudes are more sophisticated than southerners. Northerners tend to be less religious and more suspicious of religion and that adds to the idea that southerners are backward. Religious= Backward to a lot of people. So the less religious a population the more of them that will have a negative view toward areas that are more religious. Also while the income gap has narrowed some in recent decades, the north is still more wealthy than the southern US. Being wealthy tends to give one a pretty good opinion of oneself (with exceptions) and they tend think of others in a less than favorable light.

Two, some of the perception comes from southerners own inferiority complex. I have always felt that "southern pride", which is probably stronger than any other regional pride in America, masks a certain feeling of inferiority that southerners have about themselves and their region. Some of it may have very deep roots going back to the Civil War or even earlier. Getting your ass kicked in a war doesn't exactly help your self esteem. Being poorer doesn't help either. Others have touched on the educational system. While the south has some fine colleges and universities, the truly elite ones in this country are mostly in the north. Being well educated also tends to give one a pretty good opinion of oneself.
Well I guess a southerner who has never left the south could buy into that, but I have been "up north" and seen it with my own eyes, it's not wealthy like some people claim. Sure, there are a few super rich people that inflate the statistics, but the large majority of places I saw were simply middle class like everywhere else (this was in NY). Income is higher up north, but so is taxes and COL, which is why people are moving south in droves. The only difference I saw was the houses in the north were older and narrow, while the houses in the south are typically newer and spread out. I even saw plenty of "trailer trash" in NY too. Imagine that, a New Yowka in a "doublewide".

Old 10-05-2008, 03:17 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,372,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Why is the continent of Africa the way it is, while the continent of Europe, and the descendants from the continent of Europe, is the way they are?

Read 14 seconds of African history in the 1800's and you will probably learn a LOT.

scary people like this exist in the 21st century!!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 05:26 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,452,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmediaqueen View Post
I agree with [SIZE=5]SouthCali4LifeSD[/SIZE]

I have found the transition to texas quite difficult especially on an intellectual level. I keep trying, and trying to meet compatible professional people of my age group 20-35 and older. anyone... I have yet to have a well rounded conversation with anyone I have met so far. The only thing that woman seem to care about here is the family and having babies. Not too many career, ambitious, worldy women. If there any out there, please please tell where you are. so I can network and make some friends.
In the east coast, ( tristate area) someone can make new friends within days. I have been here 3 months -- haven't meet a soul. Why? is that?
Where in Texas are you?

Old 10-05-2008, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,294 times
I can tell you people here in New Hampshire think they have the best state in the entire world not only US !! I can tell you because most of the people here are closed minded,and dont think they are part of america they think they are so special because its new england,wow!!once you start talking about any any state or any other parts of usa,they will say NO NO !BE CAREFUL ITS DANGEROUS,PEOPLE ARE NOT FREINDLY OUT THERE DONT EVER MOVE TO THE SOUTH!lol...people here are extremly stingy!,no night life,6 month snow, 900$ 2 bed very small apartment,average 250$/month electric bill in winter,....its good for grannies to live in.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:13 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,113,590 times
Back to the original topic, while I will not -- at this time -- speculate on all the reasons why...there really is something to that many non-Southerners tend to look down their noses at the South (generally defined as the Old Confederate States plus Kentucky...and often Oklahoma and West Virginia). This might come across as "paranoid"...but as someone astute once noted: Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't really out to get you!" LOL

But seriously, I think this mindset is almost reflexive and ingrained among many Americans...particularly those in the northeast, industrial midwest and left coast. One of the very best summations of the subject came from native Texas son and president Lyndon Johnson, in his memoirs (The Vantage Point). I hasten to add I am NO fan of LBJ in the least, but he did make some good observations...

To backtrack just a bit, LBJ, when running for president, recognized the "bias" that existed against the South in many part of the U.S. (this was the era of sit-ins and racial strife). Not withstanding that "the north" was simply hypocritical and ignoring as concerns their own form of "racism", LBJ instructed his campaign workers and such to try and play up Texas' "western" as opposed to "Southern" aspects. He took to calling himself, on the campaign trail (except when in the South) a "westerner".

IMHO, he betrayed his roots (something shameful IMHO), but his reasons were, as he later put it (when able to write honestly), something that, I suppose is, speaking as a Texan and Southerner, understandable on the disgusting level of politcs, even if I find it deplorable in every other way.

Johnson was under no illusions and (to his credit) said as much later. That is, he acknowleged his Southerness. He wrote:

I was never part of the Old Confederacy, but I was part of Texas. My roots were deep in its soil. I felt a special identification with its history and its people. And Texas is part of the South -- in the sense Texas shares a common heritage and outlook that differs from the Northeast, Midwest, or Far West

That Southern heritage meant a great deal to me...it gave me a sense of belonging and continuity....but it also created -- sadly, but perhaps inevitably -- certain parochial feelings which flared up defensively whenever Northerners described the South as 'a blot on our national concience' or 'a stain on our country's democracy'"..

As I say, this is a bit of background. The gist and relevant point is that he was thoroughly conviced he was a victim (and I agree totaly) of the regional prejudice that all too many northerners piously proclaim they are devoid of. Here again are his words:

"I did not believe... that the nation would unite behind a Southern president. My experience in office (VP) had confirmed this. I was convinced that the Eastern press would never permit it

I wasn't just thinking of the derisive articles about my style, my manner, my accent...instead I was also thinking of a much more deep-seated and far-reaching attitude -- a disdain for the South that seems to be woven into the fabric of northern experience...

Old 10-05-2008, 11:37 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,440,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Read 14 seconds of African history in the 1800's and you will probably learn a LOT.

Explain this!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bd/IQ-4races-rotate-highres.png (broken link)

Old 10-05-2008, 11:40 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,440,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

This isn't the 1800s. What about today!!! Why are Africans still living in mud huts and why have many yet to figure out how to dig wells for clean drinking water?

Old 10-05-2008, 12:32 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,113,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
have you asked yourself why blacks and hispanics lead so many bad categories? you pulled out gun control, which leads me to believe that you haven't done a whole lotta research. no matter what state, we have as much gun control in 2008 as we've ever had since 1776.

btw, scraper is illogical and comes off as feeling entitled.
Sorry, but I confess to not understanding the "point" you are trying to make.

I brought up the larger issue of "gun control" to back up other certain things Scraper Enthusiast said. That is, sometimes the truth is not very pleasant when it comes to issues involving race.

Perhaps I didn't explain it very well last night (drinking beer, so forgive me! LOL). So let me try again.

SE made some points that -- like them or not -- no one has proven to be untrue. Sure, data can be interpretted differently by reasonable people. I agree. However...what it seems most are doing in their disagreement are just attacking him as "ignorant" or "racist" or whatever. As if this refutes a single thing he has said. Unfortunately, such a response is all too common in our society today. That is, attack the poster personally, call them names, and get hysterical and start tossing around that ridiculous term "racist" (whatever that means anymore, anyway), rather than actually address the the data provided.

And again, I do NOT like many facts that exist. But I can't deny their existence. And ignoring them or calling the messenger a chic name is not going to change it in the least! I further said that one of my very best friends is a black man and he and I talk about this stuff all the time. He was over at my house earlier this morning, and I showed him this thread. He disagrees with some things posted, agrees with others...but the thing that really stuck out with me is that he thinks "liberal white people are often the worst enemy of black people...even if they mean well..."

Ok..back to my own original post to you...

My point was that many folks who advocate gun-control (which I emphatically do NOT!), often make simplistic coorelations between the lack of gun-control laws in certain areas and a high murder rate in the same. On a larger scale, the same ilk (gun control advocates) use to compare the murder rate in England to the United States and the abbreviated conclusion reached was that gun-control laws worked. Reason being, applying screwy linear logic, was that since the former had them, had a low murder rate, and the U.S., relatively speaking, was just the opposite in both realms, such made the case.

With me so far? In microcosm, the anti-gunners would apply this "logic" to the United States. That is, that Southern states, with our relatively high murder rates and lack of gun-control, were proof positive that more gun-control was needed!

However, the above never factored in very relevant facts of history and culture. Such as that since gun-control laws were passed in England, the crime rate rose. Same with Australia. As applies to the topic at hand? It is not the lack of gun-control laws in the South which makes our murder rate higher, but demographic factors which yes, does unavoidably include a higher percentage of minorities.

The handgun murder rate among whites and asians are comparable to any country in Europe -- even lower, in fact, in some cases -- with strict gun-control laws. However, when race is brought into it, it skyrockets. The blunt fact is that areas with large percentages of blacks and, to a lesser extent, hispanics of new arrival, are the most dangerous areas to live in. Where stranger-on-stranger violence is most common...which is the largest single factor in just how dangerous an area is to live...is directly on par with the above making up a significant part of the population. Show me just ONE decent size city in the country -- and oh how I wish someone could -- where this is not true and I will gladly eat my words!

It is immaterial whether or not I ask myself why this is so. The more important issue is what can be done about it. And fact is, ascribing it all to "racism" or "a legacy of discrimination" don't matter a fiddler's damn!

Hell, doesn't it say something that most black cab drivers in New York City will not pick up single black males...? They are not handicapped by political correctness. They make decisions based on reality and that they shouldn't have to do things which might cost them their lives...

Last edited by TexasReb; 10-05-2008 at 01:00 PM..

Old 10-05-2008, 03:08 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,619,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
This isn't the 1800s. What about today!!! Why are Africans still living in mud huts and why have many yet to figure out how to dig wells for clean drinking water?
So I guess that you assume that all of these conditions were born in a vacuum? You probably also assume that years of slavery, discrimination, and exclusion from opportunities offered here in America had no effect on black folks and what they would teach their kids? I assume that you don't take into consideration the exploitation of Africa? I also assume that you are completely clueless about the Moors coming up from Africa and establishing an advanced society on the Iberian Peninsula in Europe. Most of all, you sure in the hell don't recognize that many blacks who were raised by parents that were able to break free from the shackles of Jim Crow, as mine did which is no small feat, test just as well as their white peers on standarized tests or earn the same grades as their white peers. No, to a dumbass like you, skin color offers all of the answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or