U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:31 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,440,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
So I guess that you assume that all of these conditions were born in a vacuum? You probably also assume that years of slavery, discrimination, and exclusion from opportunities offered here in America had no effect on black folks and what they would teach their kids? I assume that you don't take into consideration the exploitation of Africa? I also assume that you are completely clueless about the Moors coming up from Africa and establishing an advanced society on the Iberian Peninsula in Europe. Most of all, you sure in the hell don't recognize that many blacks who were raised by parents that were able to break free from the shackles of Jim Crow, as mine did which is no small feat, test just as well as their white peers on standarized tests or earn the same grades as their white peers. No, to a dumbass like you, skin color offers all of the answers.
I'm a "dumbass"? That's not appropriate language.

All I have stated are facts. If you have a problem with the facts, do something to change it, instead of using personal attacks towards those who merely state the truth.

Yes, you know what, there are a lot of blacks who have made it, who have reached above the so-called cycle, and to them, they should congratulate themselves. However, you can't deny the effect of IQ on innovation. As I stated, if it is about oppression, why are many Africans still living in MUD HUTS? Why haven't they figured out how to dig a well for clean drinking water, instead drinking dirty water that live animals themselves drink out of. This isn't taking into account that many of them also bathe in this same water.

It's obvious that there are differences between the races, in the areas of IQ, crime rates, education levels, etc. Even when income and socioeconomic status are controlled for, upper income blacks still score lower on standardized tests than low-income whites. Why is this? If it's all about poverty, then shouldn't upper income blacks outperform lower income whites? Why are lower-income white communities generally low in crime, yet even upper income black communities have higher crime rates? I guarantee you that you could find statistics on upper middle class black communities, and when compared with a low income white community, at least nine times out of ten, the low income white community would have a lower crime rate. Why is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 06:19 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,454,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Scraper is correct. Mississippi has the lowest education in the nation and the highest black population, it's not a coincidence. I don't expect northern whites to understand it, you have to live here and see it everyday for yourself to understand. Just think of Detroit spread out over an entire state.

almost every year Louisiana,New Mexico and Mississippi are at the bottom of most lists especially education wise and worst state to raise a child(based on juvi crime and poverty) except NM is not a large black pop.state.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:46 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,453,739 times
----"Why do People from the North think their better than everyone else???"

One reason might be they know the difference in use between " their" and "they're"

Old 10-05-2008, 07:29 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----"Why do People from the North think their better than everyone else???"

One reason might be they know the difference in use between " their" and "they're"
Sorry I'm black, so my IQ is low.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:09 PM

4,953 posts, read 8,537,792 times
Sky,

We are about to have the first black president homey! Morph yourself into the 21st century. As for the other thingy... People from DC are arrogant. Being around power tends to do that to you.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:36 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times
I don't think that the Midwest and Northeast think they are better...we just have some different ways of doing things than the South. It's sort of like that Taboo show on the national geographic channel. One place's way of life is another's taboo.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:24 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,152,784 times
I have to say, in my own observations, that the most arrogant jacka$$y new yorkers are the ones who moved there from (insert rural American town here) a year ago and think they now ARE new york. they develop some crazy worldview where only the island of manhattan matters and they'll use their newfound/fake "new yawkitude" on you at will. I love it when I encounter these NEW yorkers and they ask me, "Jersey City??? my god how could you live in such a place? it's so... far out there and boring. It's a no-man's-land. Do they have electricity over there?" And then I try to remind them not to forget that 3 months ago they were shoveling cow crap in (insert rural American town here).

I'd wager that if you encounter a real jerk in NYC, he/she lived in a whistle stop or rusty/crummy town a few months ago and feels he/she has something to prove.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:25 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,685,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
almost every year Louisiana,New Mexico and Mississippi are at the bottom of most lists especially education wise and worst state to raise a child(based on juvi crime and poverty) except NM is not a large black pop.state.
Part of the problem I see in Louisiana is that education has never been stressed enough or at all to some. People here think that all you have to do is get somebody to "get you on" somewhere and you will have it made. Nepotism here is rampant. There are many heavy industry type jobs that pay quite well like shipping and offshore oil without an education. But of course they pay well because they are dangerous jobs. There are many here that do well in school and go on to college and get advanced degrees but the majority I've seen just don't seem to care. They would rather just get through the day.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:31 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,154,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
"The South ranks lower in education because about thirty percent of its population is black, which generally scores lower on standardized tests, as well as IQ tests".-Scraper Enthusiast.
Listen, I lived in Eastern TN for six years and have ran into (a lot) uneducated whites who don't know a thing; I ran into a lot of older rural folk who didn't know how to read and write and many were at least past the age of 45 years old. That 'old South' mentality is the, "I'm having a problem, oh it's the black folks fault". If that was not the case then I apologize but it seems that you read too many books and let the wrong kind of propaganda mess up your thinking on an entire race, again I apologize if I'm wrong about you. I'm not afraid of what people think of me or my city, but if they have it twisted or wrong I let them know how things really are (about me and my area). If you see some Blacks who don't care about education and then a group who does care about education then logic would let you know that Black people are capable to have and use their high IQ. I think I'm defensive because I worked with some older whites in TN who love to throw figures up against all Blacks because they spoke with some agenda, some of your post just sparked that memory (not a jab in any way). I coud write a book on this but thanks for getting me back into "deep thought" mode.

Could I ask why you capitalize the first letter of blacks but not whites? I am not trying to be rude just curious why you would do that?

Old 10-06-2008, 04:40 PM

15,466 posts, read 25,409,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I have to say, in my own observations, that the most arrogant jacka$$y new yorkers are the ones who moved there from (insert rural American town here) a year ago and think they now ARE new york. they develop some crazy worldview where only the island of manhattan matters and they'll use their newfound/fake "new yawkitude" on you at will. I love it when I encounter these NEW yorkers and they ask me, "Jersey City??? my god how could you live in such a place? it's so... far out there and boring. It's a no-man's-land. Do they have electricity over there?" And then I try to remind them not to forget that 3 months ago they were shoveling cow crap in (insert rural American town here).

I'd wager that if you encounter a real jerk in NYC, he/she lived in a whistle stop or rusty/crummy town a few months ago and feels he/she has something to prove.
I find a similar mentality among transplants to CA from elsewhere. The people who tend to showcase the negative CA stereotypes are more times than not from out of state. Many posters on C-D who live in areas that have a lot of CA transplants have even noted how the native Californians seem more down to earth while those that moved from CA but aren't originally from there tend to try to show off more. I can't stand that attitude that some people get when they move here, they think they're something special now just b/c they live in CA. Amazing how people quickly forget where they came from. Transplants in LA and SF are the worst too when it comes to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or