U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 02:36 PM

22 posts, read 43,877 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in San Diego, have studied acting and performed in live theatre since I was a teenager, and am working on a plan, saving money, to leave here in one to two years due to the high cost of living. Though originally from nearby this area, I came back in 2003 with no car after two job layoffs and haven't been able to do any performing at all. The buses shut down early in the evening here so it's near impossible to get to auditions and rehearsals from where I'm living.

I've already lived in Portland, Seattle, Ashland, Ore so I won't be going back to those specific cities. But I'm researching either staying on the west coast or slightly to the east, perhaps Colorado, but the city I have in mind has several theatre companies, a strong enough economy where I can find stable employment, and rent that isn't 900 a month for a studio apartment. Trying to make a huge move to the east coast isn't really financially feasible for a single woman just getting by at this point. Bloomington, Indiana has been suggested to me but that is also very far.

I stumbled onto this site and thought there might be folks in similar situations. Disgusted with the high cost of living in big cities and wanting to be able to live comfortably but still do what they love, performing, in a NOT isolated, one-horse town.

If you're out there and have suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Last edited by TonyaJa; 10-04-2008 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Tried to make title stand out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 03:49 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,755,794 times
If you can handle an actual winter, Minneapolis truly suits your needs. A studio can cost a little over half of what you would pay in San Diego. There are world-class theaters here that are well patronized and supported. We sell as many tickets in the arts per year as we have people in the metropolitan area. One of the first public buildings ever built here was an Opera House.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
If you can handle an actual winter, Minneapolis truly suits your needs. A studio can cost a little over half of what you would pay in San Diego. There are world-class theaters here that are well patronized and supported. We sell as many tickets in the arts per year as we have people in the metropolitan area. One of the first public buildings ever built here was an Opera House.

Thanks! I've looked at Minneapolis before in the past but wonder how well a native Californian would adapt. Certainly worth looking into again.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:41 PM

Better here than Colorado. It shouldn't be any problem unless you fancy yourself a Paris Hilton type. I don't know So. Calif. so well, but the biggest difference between Mpls. and San Francisco is the materialism.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:00 PM

100 posts, read 122,099 times
If you want to stay on the west coast than Los Angeles, they have plenty of performing arts, modern arts, theaters, etc. Also I belive L.A. has a pretty good economy and housing prices in L.A. have went down considerbly. Although the people on here might not agree with my judgement because everyone thinks L.A. is a giant cess pool, I higly consider it.

Last edited by OneMetropolis; 10-04-2008 at 11:15 PM..

Old 10-04-2008, 11:11 PM

30,184 posts, read 67,320,481 times
I'll second the nod for Minneapolis/St. Paul. If I'm not mistaken it is the nation's most literate metropolitan area and has the highest number of cultural amenities per capita in the United States outside of New York City. Since it's not the tourism hot-spot that Manhattan is (nor will it ever be), residents are able to enjoy any cultural offering they wish almost exclusively. I've long considered relocating there myself someday.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMetropolis View Post
If you want to stay on the west coast than Los Angeles, they have plenty of performing arts, modern arts, theaters, etc. Also I belive L.A. has a pretty good economy and housing prices in L.A. have went down considerbly. Although the people on here might not agree with my judgement because everyone thinks L.A. is a giant cess pool, I higly consider it.
I do not agree with your judgment because Los Angeles is one of the most expensive cities in America, not because it is a cess pool.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:35 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaJa View Post
Hi, I currently live in San Diego, have studied acting and performed in live theatre since I was a teenager, and am working on a plan, saving money, to leave here in one to two years due to the high cost of living. Though originally from nearby this area, I came back in 2003 with no car after two job layoffs and haven't been able to do any performing at all. The buses shut down early in the evening here so it's near impossible to get to auditions and rehearsals from where I'm living.

I've already lived in Portland, Seattle, Ashland, Ore so I won't be going back to those specific cities. But I'm researching either staying on the west coast or slightly to the east, perhaps Colorado, but the city I have in mind has several theatre companies, a strong enough economy where I can find stable employment, and rent that isn't 900 a month for a studio apartment. Trying to make a huge move to the east coast isn't really financially feasible for a single woman just getting by at this point. Bloomington, Indiana has been suggested to me but that is also very far.

I stumbled onto this site and thought there might be folks in similar situations. Disgusted with the high cost of living in big cities and wanting to be able to live comfortably but still do what they love, performing, in a NOT isolated, one-horse town.

If you're out there and have suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
This whole post sounds like Houston to me.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'll second the nod for Minneapolis/St. Paul. If I'm not mistaken it is the nation's most literate metropolitan area and has the highest number of cultural amenities per capita in the United States outside of New York City. Since it's not the tourism hot-spot that Manhattan is (nor will it ever be), residents are able to enjoy any cultural offering they wish almost exclusively. I've long considered relocating there myself someday.
Thanks for the input everyone. Being a cinephile, living in L.A. would be an experience. But it is even more expensive than San Diego and I don't believe it is a cesspool. I think the wealthy have a better time of it though.

Houston? Not sure I can take the heat, but I know a couple people who live there I can talk with more. I think Ft. Worth was also suggested to me.

I've been through some bad winters in Seattle and Portland, though probably not on the scale of Minneapolis. And no, I'm not a Paris Hilton type, delicate flower. I'm pretty outdoorsy and used to ski quite a bit so it isn't out of the question.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:15 PM

905 posts, read 2,581,344 times
It seems that in these threads everyone suggests their own city, but Chicago could also work for you. The winters are cold, but not as bad as Minneapolis, and though it's more expensive than Minneapolis or Colorado, it's cheaper than Southern California. You can get a studio in a decent part of town for 600-700 per month. The city's theater/performing arts scene is large and well-patronized. And you can get by very easily without a car in most of the city.

As for the economy, well, I don't think it's any better or worse than anywhere else in the country right now, which is to say that it's not so good.

On an unrelated note, I think Minneapolis has harsher winters than Colorado. Colorado gets more snow, but Minneapolis is cold, the coldest big American city by a somewhat substantial margin. Not that Chicago's a cakewalk. Really, the entire Upper Midwest has some pretty serious winters, though Chicago isn't quite as bad as Minneapolis, either one is a far cry from Seattle or Portland (let alone San Diego).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or