Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2012, 07:57 PM

26,382 posts, read 46,282,142 times

Advertisements

I think some of it has to do with the fact that Sunset is much earlier in the afternoon in Fall and Winter in these places. The people in general tend to be more reserved and insular. You might here some people complain in these areas about the end of DST and the fact that "it gets so dark early in the afternoon" compared to a few weeks ago. They could have a vitamin D deficiency or need to buy a full spectrum lamp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,685,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You might here some people complain in these areas about the end of DST and the fact that "it gets so dark early in the afternoon" compared to a few weeks ago.
Maybe, but when I lived in TN everybody complained about that in winter, too. In fact, with the recent DST change I saw quite a few of my TN friends complaining about how early it was getting dark. But people in general are a LOT more reserved here.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:29 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,825,632 times
What? I don't think so.

I think it has a lot to do with the immigrant population of that area. Italians and Jews and Irish in NYC tend to be extroverted because their culture isn't very extroverted, outgoing, say what you think. Scandinavians have a more reserved culture, which is reflected in the Upper Midwest, which may be quite friendly but isn't as open as other places. The South was influenced by both the blacks and Scotch-Irish...even in the PNW you had quite a few Scandinavians, Germans, Eastern Europeans which are more reserved. That's just one reason, however. I think climate does play a role, in cold climates people don't go out as much so northern European nations are more reserved than Southern Europe.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,648,499 times
OP, you didn't say what "these places" are, where the sun sets earlier in the afternoon.

In the far south, in summer, the sun sets much earlier in the day than in northern latitudes. Does this make these people more reserved in the winter, but less reserved in the summer?

In Upper Michigan, the sun sets an hour earlier in the counties that border on Wisconsin. Are people in Escanaba more or less reserved than those in Munising, because of what their clock says at sundown?

Old 11-15-2012, 12:36 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,208,486 times
The most reserved people I have met in America are Navajos and they are only at 35N.

When you read classical literature, it seems Romans of the Republic and Imperial ages were quite the stiff-upper-lip types, vomitoriums and orgies notwithstanding. Far different from the ebullient, if somewhat socially conservative modern Italians.

In other words, the demeanor of people of a given region seems to have a lot more to do with their contemporary socio-cultural situation than environmental factors, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.