U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 04:24 PM

11 posts, read 31,705 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find the dream place!
I am 31, not quite ready to settle down yet, looking for an exciting city with plenty to do, single people of a similar age who are down to earth and 'real'.
Good options for work and business are important, as is a place which 'has its finger on the pulse' to an extent, but is not so busy working that life passes its residents by. A mix of business and pleasure.
Weather should be warm (no too humid!) seasons are fine, but if deep snow could be avoided, all the better. Cool days with sunshine are better than warm and cloudy.
This sounds an incredible list as I read it back, but I thought if anyone could shed some light, it would be a great help, even if it covers a few things, I am flexible really. Really! After all this is a dream list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 12:23 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,389,655 times
I would say look at Albuquerque and Santa Fe New Mexico.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:06 AM

6,968 posts, read 14,095,559 times
I was going to say Miami until you said not too humid. I think it fits everything except the humid.

Denver was the next one that came to mind, but they get snow in winter. It doesn't stick around for more than a week though because it will go from cold and snowy to a crisp 40/50* with cloudless skies.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:56 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Try Chicago. Hugely diverse economy, cheaper than the coasts (but still a little pricey), etc. It does get a humid here in the summer, but it never lasts more than a few days, then its back to cool with low/moderate humidity. Winters are cold and you can expect several decent snowfalls. Last winter was one of our worst in history, and we still got less snow than Denver averages. Sunshine percentage in winter is 40-50%, which isnt much, but not horrible either. Summers are warm (70s and 80s) and a lot sunnier than winter, with an average of 2 weeks worth of 90 degree temps for the entire summer, which is about as cool as it gets in the states, especially for a major city.

Bottom line? If youre looking for cooler weather with seasons, a good paying job with cheaper COL than the coasts, diverse economy and population, no need to own a car, a vibrant big city lifestyle, incredible restaurants/arts/museums/nightlife, etc, than Chicago is your place.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:24 PM

11 posts, read 31,705 times
I love Chicago, for all the reasons mentioned! How does New York compare?

Thanks for the replies!

Old 10-07-2008, 01:01 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,706,431 times
What is it with these obtuse threads?

Seriously, it's planet Earth. Just move somewhere you can get a job.

"I want someplace where the people are no more than 5 feet 7 inches tall and every Tuesday is Blue Ice Cream day and the elevators play the same Mary Poppins showtune all day long..."

Old 10-07-2008, 01:30 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,417,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
What is it with these obtuse threads?

Seriously, it's planet Earth. Just move somewhere you can get a job.

"I want someplace where the people are no more than 5 feet 7 inches tall and every Tuesday is Blue Ice Cream day and the elevators play the same Mary Poppins showtune all day long..."

Welcome to City-Data! This site helps people find places to relocate based on their preferences and desires in case you weren't aware. So people will start threads looking for places to live based on their preferences. But thanks so much for bringing in some unnecessary negativity, it really added a lot to the conversation, you must be a real pleasant person!.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:04 PM

1,576 posts, read 4,803,767 times
Maybe Buffalo?

Before you mock me for whatever reason, this place has it all. Sure we get snow, but we have the sunniest, dryest and most pleasant summers in the entire North East.

The people in Buffalo are incredibly friendly, The Elmwood Village in the city of Buffalo, recently rated the 3rd best urban community in America, is probably the most young, hip, exciting, and lots to do areas that you would be shocked at. And a close walk to Downtown's thriving Theatre district that rivals NYC Broadway.

If you can get a job, and don't mind too much snow in the winter, (we really don't get as much as you may think), give Buffalo a try, as the city is experiencing a renaissance and is on the verge of a breakthrough. Lot's of young people you around your age moving in, and I think that here, you would finally feel "at home."

So... maybe you can give Buffalo, NY a thought? (Just my suggestion for someone like you )

Old 10-07-2008, 08:21 PM

100 posts, read 122,185 times
San Diego

Old 10-07-2008, 09:11 PM

41 posts, read 194,253 times
Camelot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or