U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 07:22 AM

14 posts, read 34,728 times

Advertisements

So, I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

We sold our house in Maine in August. Husband left his job in August. So off we go looking for an adventure. Yes, in hindsight, not the best time to be unemployed and looking for an adventure. It was a terrible job working for a terrible company that is on the way out and we just hastened the inevitable. Anyway, we need to find a place to call home and need some good advice. We like Maine but really want a change. We are looking for:

1. JOBS! My husband has been working for a call center as an operations manager for the past 15 years. No degree but tons of experience.
2. Affordable housing. We'd like a place where we can buy a house for under 200k
3. Relative safety. Doesn't have to be Mayberry but with a 2 year old we need to have some peace of mind.

That's it really. We prefer warm weather but it's not as important as the other three things. We love to be near lakes and water but again, not as important as having a job!

Anyone have any advice for us? We really need to figure this out!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 01:08 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,454,505 times
I dont know how big of a town your looking for but Raleigh,NC sounds like it meets all your wants or maybe even a suburb of Dallas, I have also heard that Midland,TX is booming and has jobs available if you want a smaller city.

Rio Rancho a suburb of ABQ has a few call centers and is affordable but still has a rural feel to some of it.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:58 PM

109 posts, read 408,458 times
North Dakota is full of call centers. Cold winters, but jobs do exist!

Old 10-06-2008, 03:00 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,569,873 times
Check your mailbox. Your address might be printed on some paper in there.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:58 PM

839 posts, read 2,539,011 times
Smile Houston

I think Houston, Tx fits your bill. Right now there is a lot of work here amd the cost of living is low.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:22 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,451,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Check your mailbox. Your address might be printed on some paper in there.
I see your first thought was the same as mine... "Don't you know??" LOL

Old 10-06-2008, 07:38 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,252,668 times
I would look at North and South Carolina.

We left Maine 2 1/2 years ago and have regretted every minute of it. We will be returning home next year, finally, thank goodness!

One of my brothers moved from Maine to Surfside Beach, SC 15 years ago and loves it. He is 1 block from the water in a huge townhouse. He had multiple job offers back then and still has no problem finding work when he decides to make a change. Companies love northeasterner down there for some reason.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:46 PM

980 posts, read 2,908,492 times
I would suggest the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area. There are some great suburbs, with cheap home prices, safe neighborhoods and it's right on lake michigan.

A quick hob search of the area shows over 203 telemarketing jobs in a call center enviornment. All Telemarketing Jobs in Milwaukee, WI | Indeed.com

Old 10-07-2008, 04:30 PM

14 posts, read 34,728 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks, everyone!

We are currently bouncing around NC trying to find a job. We've been living in hotels for about 6 weeks now so we really don't know where we live!

This no job thing is frustrating!

Old 10-07-2008, 04:30 PM

3,323 posts, read 9,569,145 times
The Youngstown/Warren area of NE Ohio has a lot of call centers......two of the biggest are West Corp. and Infocision.

Anyway, i know that Youngstown itself has a bad rap, but the rest of the metro is actually quite safe and it has the lowest cost of living in the US last time i heard. There are also a lot of cultural amenities w/in an hour drive of our area and plenty w/in our metro. We are an hour from Akron, Cleveland (lake erie) and Pittsburgh and are halfway between NYC and Chicago.

Here are some links of things to do just in the Youngstown area:

Mill Creek MetroParks

The Butler Institute of American Art

:: De Yor Performing Arts Center ::

Chevrolet Centre

The Mahoning Valley Scrappers Class A Affiliate of the Cleveland Indians

Mosquito Lake State Park, an Ohio State Park

City of Warren, Ohio Plenty of concerts and festivals in the summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or