U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:16 PM
JJG

13,248 posts, read 19,187,305 times

Advertisements

My city: Fort Worth, TX

Not much going on here. As a matter of fact, our newest highrise, The Omni, was supposed to be 547 ft. tall. But for some reason it was cut off by 100, so now it's 447 ft. All the most recent projects are well under 400. But I gotta say, out of all the cities building up, I envy Chicago the most. There are so many buildings there that would look good in our skyline....

The Omni

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 12:19 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,986,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
HAHAHAHAHA

Tuscon? Seriously?

Furthermore, NYC and Chicago aren't just about height. Come check out the buildings sometime.

Are they the only cities with beautiful buildings? Heck no! But they're clearly at the forefront.

Dude, i live in albuquerque and my skyline has a better fit to the city than most other cities in the country.. i said tucson on purpose.. you obviously dont get it. This forum revloves around NY and Chicago.. we need to spice it up, i'm sure there are wayyy better skylines, belive me

Old 10-14-2008, 07:38 PM

100 posts, read 122,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Dude, i live in albuquerque and my skyline has a better fit to the city than most other cities in the country.. i said tucson on purpose.. you obviously dont get it. This forum revloves around NY and Chicago.. we need to spice it up, i'm sure there are wayyy better skylines, belive me

cool

Old 10-14-2008, 07:49 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,326,863 times
Hey be happy with that building in Fort Worth! Its not short! And Its quite attractive! Be happy with what comes your way! I understand its one of the first towers to go in the downtown core in recent years!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:53 PM
JJG

13,248 posts, read 19,187,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Hey be happy with that building in Fort Worth! Its not short! And Its quite attractive! Be happy with what comes your way! I understand its one of the first towers to go in the downtown core in recent years!
More than 20 years.....

I'm not gonna knock the Omni. It's instantly one of the best skyscrapers we have. The thing is, Fort Worth seems to focus more on ground level projects, which isn't a bad thing. But while doing that, the city seems to be scared of buildings skyscrapers, let alone the fact that none of them are over 600 feet (and we don't have height restrictions here).
Fort Worth is doing a great job on the ground level projects and everything, but can we balance it out with more highrises, please?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:18 PM

6,979 posts, read 14,102,736 times
Anyone got info on all the new ones in SD?

Old 10-15-2008, 12:24 PM

11,177 posts, read 22,384,826 times
So how many of these projects do people think will be cancelled?? I just put up the ones under construction for my city - cause with the economy I highly doubt many of these will ever get off paper. It's so sad too

We have 50 highrises going up right now, and I LOVE watching them all progress when I'm coming into work in the morning. It makes the train ride a lot more fun seeing things outside the window grow and change.

There are 29 additional highrises that have been given the green light to be built by the city, and 74 more which have been proposed by developers - but are still waiting on city approval. I'm thinking many of these, if not most, will probably end up being axed due to the shortage of credit out there. It's going to be hard to get a bank to finance hundreds of millions of dollars for a huge piece of real estate when that sector itself is waning.

Here are a few of the approved ones for Chicago. I hope they get built!!!!!

Old 10-15-2008, 01:25 PM

7,279 posts, read 13,532,516 times
Quote:
Skylines? I'm sorry, but no. There aren't.

Are there cities in more beautiful locations? Yes! Portland and Seattle come to mind. Are the other cities with gorgeous buildings? Absolutely!

But are there better skylines? (Keeping in mind that these are for people who actually like tall buildings...) Nope. Sorry.

I trust you've been to Chicago and NYC. Well I've been to Tucson and Albuquerque. There are a lot of neat things about those places. (I really enjoyed my drive to the top of Mt Lemmon on my last visit to Tucson. It's wild to see the entire landscape change in a matter of minutes as you climb 7000 feet...) However, the skylines aren't one of those things.

I don't know why you'd pick that particular battle...

Old 10-15-2008, 04:03 PM

190 posts, read 830,744 times
Quote:
Hes a hater
YouTube - Maino - Hi Hater (just kidding with you)

Old 10-15-2008, 09:14 PM

190 posts, read 830,744 times
More High rises in NYC
http://curbed.com/uploads/2008_10_255e74.jpg (broken link)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or